First Find Ever... Hope this is posted right

coffeefreek

Apr 3, 2009
Northern Idaho
Okay - I have been a lurker on here for about 4 years now. About 3.5 years ago I picked up a cheap metal detector (Bounty Hunter) to see if I thought this was something I wanted to do. I know I maybe should have started with a better detector, but at the time, this was all I could afford.
Due to a number of circumstances with finances, family in the hospital for extended stays, etc., until yesterday, I had not gotten out to detect. I have continued to read the forum off and on, and salivated over all the great things posted. Not knowing anyone that detects, I did a lot of studying and reading in magazines and websites to figure out what to do.
So yesterday morning, after breakfast, I figured I had about 20 minutes or so before the honey do's kicked in. I grabbed the detector, and my son and I went out into the front yard. I found about 5 or 6 signals within a 20 foot radius of the door.
One was beeping in a line not just a single beep. I decided to dig this signal. I have posted what I found in the plug about 1.5-2 inches down. It isn't pretty, or priceless, but it is the first object that I have found and dug. I had to take a picture and post it for posterity. If the rain will let up, I will go back out and dig the other signals...

Attachments

• IMG27.jpg
    IMG27.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 1,033
  • IMG27.jpg
    IMG27.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 1,032
Upvote 0

bigb03

Mar 12, 2009
Ennis, Montana
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey its not much but congrats! I bought a detector in April and did not get a chance to get out hardly at all yet. My first find was a 1989 penny in my back yard. Not much but it was nice to see the detector work!

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net.

You are now on your way to who knows what kind of finds. The mystery is part of the fun. Will it be a hair pin or gold? Congrats on getting out.

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
That is one of the best hair pins I have ever seen. I know you will find more and better things but you will always remember your first. Remember to be patient and the good finds will come. Congrats.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
take it out to the nerest kids playgrounds an let her rip :icon_thumleft:

HH Tank

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey CoffeeF, Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your first find. It might be a bobbie pin today, but a diamond ring tomorrow!
Breezie

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet. You are going to fit right in here. Where are you from? Might be someone close to you that you can hunt with.

DANGLANGLEY

FoxRox

Dec 28, 2005
Lexington, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT/Shadow X-5...Bullseye pinpointer
A big congrats on your 1st find!!! My first was a bounty hunter also. Best of luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

randyinarkansas

Nov 2, 2007
Fayetteville
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Ace 250
Dont get discouraged...i have dug more junk than you could shake a stick at...we all have....keep hunting and RESEARCHING and those good finds will come

Dec 27, 2005
Bay Area Ca.
Detector(s) used
White's M6, SPECTRA V3I.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
congrats on your first find. The value is with each find you dig your knowledge will increase and pretty soon you will be getting better and better finds as you learn your detector thanks for sharing, welcome to t-net and may all your detecting trips be filled with fun.

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer
Don't feel to bad about not getting out right away. Back in the mid 80's I spent a lot on a Whites 6000D to use while vacationing in Florida, not knowing what I was doing and scared of getting in trouble it sat in the car the whole two weeks. I only used it now and then when I could for a few years and then it sat in the closet until the I lost it 8 years ago in a fire. If it wasn't for my nephew giving me his Radio Shack a few years ago I couldn't of afforded one.
You have the right idea in going out in your yard and practice with it. Listen for the different tones each object gives, so you know what it is before you dig it.
A toast :coffee2: to more great finds.
Knightwalker

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats coffeefreak and Welcome, your pin is better than gum wadded up in foil ,stuck to the bottom of a search coil ..that was my first . Have fun :coffee2:

favored papa

Oct 6, 2009
mountain home Idaho
Detector(s) used
ace 250 dfx
not bad, my first was a square nut, it sits in a box i have on the dash of my truck for change. Kind of a cool reminder every time i dig out change and see it.

M

michigan michael

Well is it solid or plated? lol :laughing9: My first find was a memorial penny........ and my second, and my third, and my fourth....lol I thought I bought a penny detector at first. :D

Welcome to T-NET! Your finds will get much better in the future....... and worse. lol Watch out for the pull tabs! ;D

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
hey from a bobby to a bust!! least you know your detecter can find small items. ya never know with some practice maby your next coin will be a bust coin :o willy

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Welcome to T-Net! I agree with Danglangley - list the area you live in your profile so it shows up on your posts if you want hunting buds. I found mine that way! :wink:

My first machine was a BH Land Star. Still have it, too. I found my first silver with it, a '43 Walker. I look forward to seeing your posts!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread