Twas the Night before.. the night before Christmas..

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Twas the night before.. the ..uh... night before Christmas..

With relatives inbound from far and away, and festivities planned from early in the morning to late the next day.. I should be bed sleeping and my energy storing, yet here I sit at the computer, my story I relay.
Okay okay okay.. enough with the poetry. <grin> Probably not very original anyway huh? <shrug> Oh well. It is true that I should have my sorry butt in bed right now though, getting some rest for tomorrow... Christmas Eve (day). But when I lay down to sleep, it’s not visions of sugar plum fairies I see dancing in my head, no. What I’m seeing is coins, and rings, and all kinds of things. The kinds of things that we metal detectorists find while in pursuit of our hobby. Things like I found yesterday and today in a couple of short hunts at some nearby elementary school “tot lots”.
Tuesday and Wednesday of this week, with my Christmas shopping done and my nerves shot all to hello and how are we? <grin> Holiday Shopping is not for the faint of heart, thank goodness and all that is holy that I could spend some time trying to unwind and avoiding any more shopping traffic and hustle and bustle. Nothing like a nice warm snug set of headphones and the melodious tones of targets setting off your detector to calm the savaged spirit. Why it’s enough to bring you to your knees.. in joy! Especially when you are digging up said target. It’s been rather cold and wet around these parts of late. While not nearly the blizzard conditions that many parts of the country have endured lately, we had a few inches of snow and a lot of rain here in Central Kentucky over the last couple of weeks. When I finally got a little time to get out and try to detect some, I chose a venue that would not be quite so soggy for my knees. Woodchips are the answer. Oh sure, they get wet too, and even freeze when enough water and cold temps combine, but my window of opportunity was rather small this time, and the chips are forgiving and not so soggy as the dirt and grass. So it was off to the tot-lots and playgrounds of the local elementary schools. I’ve not been detecting them much of late because of school being in session, and my days off falling on days when the kiddies are in school. I won’t detect the playgrounds on school days.
So there I was, yesterday at two different schools and two more today. All the kiddies locally are out of school for the Christmas break, so the playgrounds were fair game. My window, or windows of opportunity were just a couple of hours yesterday and again today, so I made the best of it, err, them. While it didn’t rain or snow either day, it was a bit overcast, but even with cooler temperatures it wasn’t so cold as to need a survival suit or arctic outer wear. Oddly enough, the playgrounds were pretty much deserted all the same. I guess everyone was still out shopping or stuck in traffic somewhere. Fine by me. With my two short hunts, each day, all my finds seem to have run together. I’m not exactly sure what I found where, or in what order, but I know I found a BUNCH of clad and the usual tot-lot sundry of buttons..

Buttons.jpg

There were pull tabs, of course, but there were far more Zipper Pulls than usual.. of course the weather has been colder hasn’t it?

Zipper Pulls.jpg

One tends to find a lot of “shoe bling” and pins and charms when hunting around woodchips and tot-lots, these last hunts were no exception.

Bling.jpg

At one schoolyard I found the remains of a keychain. It’s a promotional item that the boosters sell to raise money for whatever, I’ve seen similar keychains for other organizations or businesses. This one was just the “spinner” portion with the school logo and name on it.

Pride Comp.jpg

I found a keychain, so it only fits that I found a key as well. I’m not so sure it was even at the same school though. I also found a bullet, not far from the key. I don’t know exactly what caliber this bullet is though, maybe a .25?

Key.jpg

Then there was this tiny little bicycle.. pedal.. Tiny.. VERY VERY TINY..

Pedal.jpg

Maybe that little bike belonged to this character.. I got CHUCKED!

Chuck Comp.jpg

Always nice to find a Chuck-E-Cheese Token.. and foreign coinage as well. Costa Rican “colones” ? is that like a nickel maybe? I don’t know, but this next find really got my heart to racing. Brushing back the woodchips and revealing this flash of gold!

Ring1.jpg
Ring2.jpg

*sigh* Oh yeah, it’s pretty, but it’s not gold. No hallmarks, no stamps, and the stone is paste or at best, QZ.... and it’s missing a set. Oh well, it was still fun to find. This other stuff, isn’t so much fun to find, especially in a playground where someone’s child could have potentially fallen on one of them or run one into their foot or something. I’m talking about scrap metal trash. Guess I did my civic duty and cleaned up a little bit at the playgrounds.

Scrap.jpg

My reward? Why a new car! Uh.. okay, so maybe it’s not so new, and it’s little small. But hey! It’s a Range Rover!

Rover.JPG

Yeah, I cleaned up. And for the amount of time Spent, even if it was divided between several different locations over two days, I think I did pretty well.

Clad.jpg

Money found is money made. All that clad is going into the sorely depleted “vacation fund” that got cleaned out to take care of some holiday shopping recently. Boy am I glad that the shopping is over.. until after Christmas.. <shuddering> Wonder if I can manage to hide out in the basement till New Years? <grin> Nah probably not. Oh well. It’s now officially Christmas Eve.. very very very early Christmas eve morning I might add. Time for me to go put my sorry butt to bed.. and to watch the visions of coins and rings and lots of bling.. good night all, and to all a very VERY MERRRY CHRISTMAS!

Frodov

Upvote 0

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer
Wow. What a haul for a couple of hours a day in two days.
HH
KNightwalker

Deftone

Jan 10, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vn thx for sharing! Lol must be the season I found 4 zipps the other day. wtg and hh

PA John

Nov 24, 2008
York, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xcalibur 2, Teknetics T2 (Coils: Stock, CORS 4x6,, 4” “biscuit”, Whites Dual Field Surf PI, Garrett AT Pro (Stock & 5x8 Coils), ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Always enjoy your posts Frodov. Good Read as always

Definitely a productive couple hunts!

With snow covering the ground here in PA, I am just going to have a wait a while to get back out.
The batteries are removed and I am going to do some research on places to hunt in the spring over this winter.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MAN YOU DIG ALOT OF CLAD
WHAT IS THIS YEARS TOTAL?

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
jamesbibb said:
MAN YOU DIG ALOT OF CLAD

This year's total? hmmm.. don't know, the year's not over yet. <grin> No seriously, I don't know, I'd have to go back and do some math. Sounds like a project. <grin> Thanks.

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
allen said:
you mustve dug your butt off
getting all of that clad and the
other miscellaneous finds !! :coffee2:

Well, no, not a lot of digging. Oh sure there was some on the deeper targets and a few at the edges of the tot-lots in the actuall dirt.. but there's not a lot of digging involved in hunting the woodchips. More like just brushing the top layers of woodchips aside. Still though, Yeah, there were a lot of trips from standing to kneeling and back. Counting all the coins, the scrap and other finds, I estimate that there were over 500 targets.. that's 500 trips going to one knee or both to recover a target. Oh my aching legs! <grin> It's a good burn though! <laughing>

Frodov

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't mean to heist your title, LOL, I already posted it on a few other forums. Nice pile of clad! HH, Mike

U

umrgolf

Costa Rican “colones” ? is that like a nickel maybe?

No sir, not even close ;D ... 10,000 colones is in the neighborhood of $20 ... guess that makes it about 1c so maybe it is close :laughing9:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frodov , Merry Christmas to you and yours ! and congrats on another nice outing , I always
enjoy your adventures - Blessings ... Argentium.

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your little pedal may be the handle to a fishing reel,

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
prolab69 said:
your little pedal may be the handle to a fishing reel,

Hmmm.. now that you mention it, it could be a reel crank handle.. but nawww.. I think it's a pedal from a tiny little bicycle. Thanks for the suggestion though! Merry Christmas Everyone!

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
jamesbibb said:
MAN YOU DIG ALOT OF CLAD

My curiosity was piqued by your question about my totals for this year. I have never bothered to actually add up all my finds for any particular year.. until now. WOW! It even surprised me. I didn't think I'd really got to get out and detect that much this past year. The total for the amount of clad I found this year tallied up to $333.50 U.S. Cool! That's only 34 times out with the detector, that averages out to roughly $9.81 per outing. You simply have to LOVE a hobby that PAYS you to have fun now don't you? <grin> Makes me wonder how I did the previous couple of years. I'll have to sit down and do a little research. I know I've paid for my detector several times over easily.
Merry Christmas Everyone! ... and if I don't get a chance to get back online here before then.. have a very Happy New Year's celebration as well! Be Safe, Be Happy and Have fun.. and as always..

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Bavaria Mike said:
Didn't mean to heist your title, LOL, I already posted it on a few other forums. Nice pile of clad! HH, Mike

No offense or problem there Mike.. <grin> I didn't think my title was very original when I posted it anyway, it just sort of came out. <Shrug> Hope you had a very merry Christmas.

Frodov

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You always do great there Frodov.. congrats on lots of :thumbsup:moola..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread