I found an old farm with a cellar hole

D

debid

I found this place last weekend and scouted it out a little. I didn't have a lot of time there because I had already hunted another site and it was starting to get dark. I am sure I found a cellar hole but I am afraid of it because there is a "hole" in the weeds about 6 inches round that I am sure is some animals doorway. My husband is not very interested in my new hobby so I don't have a partner. I know this is a great site to hunt but it is a little scarey to be there alone.
The site is an old farm with a small wooded area, *an old rusty plow is still sitting there* a pond, house foundation, garage slab, lots of indentions in the ground where other outbuildings probably were, long driveway, and a cellar hole.
What should I do?

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Sounds like a great place to hunt. Can you get a friend to accompany you? If not ,I would still go. Make sure you tell your husband what time you are leaving and planning on return and also make sure you have your cell phone. As far as the animals doorway...Plug it up for the time you are there and unplug it before leaving. You arent going to have much fun,if the entire time you are there you are afraid.. Isnt there anyway your husband could go with you and if nothing else sit in the car and read....A couple of hours wouldnt hurt...Take a picnic ...Good Luck on your finds ! You could also check the site for other hunting buddies in your area!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Take a neice nephew or kid with you. It's nice to have someone around. It gets a little spooky by yourself in the wooded area's. I have hunted deep in the woods myself alot. I go with the don't mess with me in these woods attitude and I am fine. Other than the ghost looking over your shoulder while you dig up there foundation your fine.

Sounds like a great spot. Those cellar holes are one of my favorite places to search. In all honesty jokes aside you would be fine on your own. Take a cell phone park close and start hunting. Bring something good home to convince your husband what your doing is the best kept secret hobby in the world.

Good Luck with your searches

HH Jeremy

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
Sweep the area for large targets first [fairly large amount of descrimination] inside and outside of the foundations. Grab that plow! THEY LOOK GREAT NEXT TO WAGON WHEELS!.

OP
OP
D

debid

To the person who sent me a PM,
Your PM box is full.
Here is my reply.
I live in Emporia Kansas. I am 45 minutes from Topeka, 1 hour from Wichita, 1 hour and 15 minutes from Kansas City.
It would have to be a female or a couple. My DH would not "dig it" (get it?? LOL!) if I were out somewhere with a male alone.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
It was me......will clean out my mailbox...thanks

Kansas is a little far ,but there are lady hunters there.... Haha dont blame your partner on the digging with a male alone thing...
Although I think the guys here are pretty harmless and most of them married...

But there are alot of women like myself who hunt alone...guess the quest outweighs the fear! :)

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
I'm in Colorado and will be doing some work by Dodge city this spring. So you live by the Santa Fe Trail huh? I dont ever want to hear you cant find a place to hunt LOL. Look for wagon ruts when ever you are out and about. Also any areas where travelers would have camped, rivers, streams, springs.

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Deb,

If there is an animals den entrance at your site, whatever lives there likely won't hurt you. It's not like you're trying to dig IT out of the ground. Wild animals don't spy a human in the woods, and begin a 'stalk'.

Follow the other's advice, and you'll be fine. (cell phone, partner, etc.)

Be sure to let us know what you find! I remember an old cellar hole in the woods where I used to deer hunt, and was talking to my DW about getting permission go 'hunt' the woods again.........

Roger

OP
OP
D

debid

I meant that I was afraid to hunt the cellar hole itself. :o ;D

TimmyNY

Nov 28, 2005
Western New York
most cellar holes themselves are full of rusty junk. but that is no reason not to check them out. good place for a cache. sounds like a large area. leave the cellar hole for when you have company. I would be much more leery of the well than the cellar hole If I were you. Good luck and be careful.

Tim

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Debid, do you have a dog? I take my dogs all the time. Even though they're harmless, anybody sneaking up on me wouldn't know that. I can always tell by their actions when they hear a noise or smell something like another animal. I guess it gives me peace of mind to have them with me.

Your best bet for coins is around the house foundation. Is it concrete or cut stone? A cut stone foundation usually dates before 1900. You can tell by the nails that you dig how old everything is. Square nails, of course, are the oldest.

Good luck.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry about that animal in the hole, worry about the spiders or snakes. If there is a large tree in the back yard, check the bottom of limbs for a nail. They would hang a plumbob and stash the cashe there under it. Drag that husband with you for a few minutes before a picnic. Good Luck,

HH, Sandman

treasures4me2find

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2005
Murphy, N.C.
Yes sounds like you have a great spot to hunt. Just beware of your surrounding. Keep a eye and ear open. Like everyone else said, get that husband of yours out for a picnic. He just might enjoy himself, and may even get interested in MDing. Good Luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread