Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dfx willy said:
RiverRat3 said:
Wow, I just watched the espisode on Pawn Stars where a guy pawned a similar button. An expert valued the button in the thousand range (if you believe everything on TV) Congrats on the find!!!!!!!!
i saw the same show. and yes they do go in the thousands. congrats. willy

Just like Rev War and CW buttons, it's all about rarity and condition. The one in this thread is obviously one of the more common types (unless there are different variants), because we keep seeing them found. One of these days someone is go to pop one of the rare bad boys and probably run all the way to the bank. I certainly hope it's me! ...but fat chance being so far North. But I never say never! :thumbsup:

acehunter

Feb 2, 2009
california
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250, gold scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find, worth saving for sure. Got to love the little ace.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WELCOME to the GWI Club! You have a Cobb #5----Alberts WI-11A. A common variety, but in the J Harold Cobb collection, this one, (much better condition than yours), sold for $7,250. Congrats on a tremendous find and the banner! The Hogge :notworthy:

RelicRick

Aug 29, 2006
Jockey Hollow
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Terry,

Great find! What you have there is Albert's W1 11A, Dewitt #1789-7 and Cobb's #5. It is a George Washington Inaugural button from 1789. To the best of my knowledge, the 1st found in 2010! There were a handful found (different varieties in 2009). Send me a pm and I can fill you in on some more info...I've done a boatload of research since finding my 4 last year!

Congrats and welcome to the club!

Rick (Goalrush)

Congrats on the Banner!!! :icon_thumleft:

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
:icon_thumright: Welcome to the club Terry :icon_thumleft: Such a fantastic piece of American history :thumbsup:
To bad that its been drilled and the shank is missing. With those blemishes it brings the buttons value down. Its far more valuable as an excellent piece of history :notworthy:

Its would be worth your while to have it authenticated and to get a certificate of authenticity. I had mine examined by a very nice lady named Millicent Safro @ Tender buttons in NY city. Her email is [email protected]. She is well educated in G.W. Inaugural buttons and she'll be very helpful.

Congrats on a stellar find :headbang:

-D 8) -

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Congrats on the sweet button and making the banner !

TommNJ

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
That's a fantastic find. After a million holes in the ground, I would never find one of those in the midwest. >:( Congrats on a great find. :thumbsup: jgas

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Man, what a find. Definitely a find of a lifetime, unless you are Rick and you find 4 in one year.

Based on the auction info in the link provided above, it looks like the narrow spacing between the G and W is the more valuable of this variety of button. Your's has this very narrow spacing, so you may have a real valuable item there.

Jim

OP
OP
terryinr.i.

terryinr.i.

Mar 31, 2009
R.I.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Ace250. Tasoro Vaquaro.
jgas said:
That's a fantastic find. After a million holes in the ground, I would never find one of those in the midwest. >:( Congrats on a great find. :thumbsup: jgas
you got that right, at least a million holes, well i guess 1 out of a 1000.000 is'nt bad :P

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the banner. Awesome find. Very few people find GW buttons. You are in an elite class. Again Congratulations.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
terryinr.i. said:
jgas said:
you got that right, at least a million holes, well i guess 1 out of a 1000.000 is'nt bad :P

Ain't that the truth. I said the same thing for our trade silver finds here.... 1 brooch in 35 years combined. That has to be a lot of holes to find one piece of trade silver! And it's also amazing how many holes we dig looking for all the things we never do find, and some being not particularly rare.

U

umrgolf

Iron Patch said:
terryinr.i. said:
jgas said:

Ain't that the truth. I said the same thing for our trade silver finds here.... 1 brooch in 35 years combined. That has to be a lot of holes to find one piece of trade silver! And it's also amazing how many holes we dig looking for all the things we never do find, and some being not particularly rare.

I find everything I look for and then some :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread