My best find yet.....and my first confederate button!!!!!

GAdirtfishin

Mar 24, 2008
Summerville, GA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was recently invited to a piece of property by a lady saying that she wanted someone to come metal detect around her property, she was curious if there was anything on it. She said several people had asked in the past however they never showed up to detect. She called me three times to make sure I would come and on my first visit I found the remnants of an old roadbed and concentrated my search around the road.

I knew that JB Hood had moved through this area on his way to Alabama after the Battle of Atlanta so there was potential. The first visit I found an eagle cuff button so my interest was peaked - second visit another eagle cuff and the back of an eagle cuff along with some carved lead and a NY cuff. I decided to go back on Monday of this week since the office was closed and began again looking around the old roadbed, I took about 5 steps and got a good signal - a two piece button with a perfect shank attached. I figured it would be another eagle button but I couldnt tell what it was so I brushed it a little - I saw a star and what I thought was crossed sabers or crossed cannons. The excitement was killing me so I came on home to look in my button book to see what I had. I immediatley thought Texas because of the star so that is where I started - turns out the button is an 1837 Republic of Texas Artillery button - from what I am told this is an extremely rare button.

This is my first confederate button - and so far the best find I have ever made. Check out the video to see the button straight out of the ground.

Attachments

• TEXASBUTTON.jpg
    TEXASBUTTON.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 3,884
  • NYCUFF.jpg
    NYCUFF.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 3,843
  • CUFFBUTTONS.jpg
    CUFFBUTTONS.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 3,837
Upvote 0

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those is some nice buttons great find :thumbsup: Congrats on the Banner HH Jim

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Great video! Congrats on that lifetime achievement button find!!!!!! Looks like you've got a very special place to detect. I wouldn't go anywhere else if I had a place like that. Have you tried going off the road to either side maybe 5 to 10 feet? I can imagine soldiers taking a rest and sitting off the road losing things from their pockets ;D

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
vayank54 said:
plehbah said:
vayank54 said:
Wow that Texas Artillery buttons is nice. It books for $1,100+ in dug condition

Is that all?

Listen friends, now is the time to INVEST IN EXCAVATED SPECIMENS OF TEXAS ARTILLERY BUTTONS.

I would much rather have one of those than an ounce of gold from a long term investment perspective.

I'm afraid that's it. but it really depends on how bad someone wants it. I saw one button that books for about $8,000 go for over 10 and another that books for about 12,000 go for over 16. It can go the other way though. One thing I have seen over the years is even in bad recessions the price of the rarer relics doesn't go down.

Same with coin investments still go up. Think about it, those with jobs can either get a couple of % in the bank or collect something they like which makes 20% a year!

hi, natural forms of gold that exceed more than 7 grams are highly collectable and are worth more than the market price of gold . A few get the best of relics and gold. Yes the wonderful world of hunting old gold rushes. Interest rates on bank investments are higher than a couple of % in some places in the world.I,m no expert or is this my opinion just "Fact" How much natural gold have you 3 wisemen found?

tinpan ;D ;D ;D Ps 'that is awsome button'

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thats my type of find there! :wink: :icon_thumleft: Congrats on a great button. Good to see a Georgia Boy get it :wink:

OP
OP
GAdirtfishin

GAdirtfishin

Mar 24, 2008
Summerville, GA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
again guys, thanks for all of your kind words - I am beginning to think that this willl be one of the best finds I will ever make. I truly appreciate your comments.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent Excellent button....I bet you wake every morning to make sure that baby is still there,but who could blame ya.Congratulation's on a Fantastic recovery Chris :icon_thumright:

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
That's an awesome find for sure GAdirtfishin :thumbsup:

A question for you, it looks like in your video your using earbuds for your detector headphones, how do you like that setup if that's what I'm seeing dangling in the video :icon_scratch: ?

Keep at that site, I suspect you've only scratched the surface of many more good finds to come :hello2:

hh,
Brian

OP
OP
GAdirtfishin

GAdirtfishin

Mar 24, 2008
Summerville, GA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cal_Cobra said:
That's an awesome find for sure GAdirtfishin :thumbsup:

A question for you, it looks like in your video your using earbuds for your detector headphones, how do you like that setup if that's what I'm seeing dangling in the video :icon_scratch: ?

Keep at that site, I suspect you've only scratched the surface of many more good finds to come :hello2:

hh,
Brian

You are right, I am using earbuds. I used the grey ghost headphones for a long time and then switched over to the Killer B's stinger model. I wanted something smaller so I switched to the buds. I really like them so far, I have only used them for about a month.

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
.....GADIRTFISHIN.....I would hunt that site like crazy.......maybe even dig all of the signals even in the All-Metal mode... this is to eliminate any masking...the Confederate that lost that REPUBLIC OF TEXAS BUTTON WAS PROBABLY WEARING HIS DAD'S UNIFORM COAT....from the REPUBLIC OF TEXAS days.......I am guessing that ....that coat was already old ...at least 25 years......so the possibility of other buttons that came off it are great.......a lot of people do not know......but especially in the South.......a lot of the men came to war carrying their dad's and grandpa's coats, jackets, guns, sabers, etc. .......THAT IS WHY A LOT OF SITES COME UP WITH RELICS THAT PREDATE THE CIVIL WAR........the South was not rich and they encouraged all of the volunteers to bring whatever equipment that they could muster!!.......NOW GO FIND ANOTHER ONE......LOL.....JOE

sneaky6

Aug 14, 2007
Deep Dug Hole, VA
I know you are already there, but I have got to throw another banner vote your way!!! Awesome button!! That is why we do what we do!!! Congrats!!

HH,
Sneaky6

PS. No work for me tomorrow..so I am hitting the dirt. Never know what I may find!!

OP
OP
GAdirtfishin

GAdirtfishin

Mar 24, 2008
Summerville, GA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Guys thanks so much for all of your kind words and thanks for watching the video. I am extremely proud of this find and now will not hesitate to take up an invitation to hunt on another lady's land - thanks guys!!!!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o :o

Congrats on making the BANNER :icon_thumleft: I'm way out of depth with the importance of your button, but judging what the guys who know say about it....WOW :notworthy:

SS

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Congrats on your find and what a way to get it being invited over to see what was out there on her property :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread