Doesnt Look like JUNK To ME!!!!!!!!!!

bspicer4

Greenie
Sep 5, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett GX 1000
Well this has a long story so lets see if i can shorten it. This is a junk yard that my grandfather worked at as a teen. The old man that owns it is still alive and pushing 100. Also we is very tight, money wise. To the point that we could never bring himself to scrape anything.
Well i went there a few weeks ago and as always was taken back. The yard was shut down in the 70's and other than what little his sons bring in and out nothing has moved.
There must be 200-300 old mustangs, 200 or so belairs from the fifties and more and more and more. I asked the old man how many cars there was, he said when he shut down there were over 10000!!!!!!!! i WAS ABLE TO TAKE SOME PICS BEFORE THE CAMERA DIED

ENJOY!!!!
I know i did.

Attachments

• car.JPG
    car.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 1,423
  • car00.JPG
    car00.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 1,404
  • car1.JPG
    car1.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 1,399
  • car2.JPG
    car2.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 1,396
  • car3.JPG
    car3.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 1,399
  • car4.JPG
    car4.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 1,387
  • car5.JPG
    car5.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 1,387
  • car6.JPG
    car6.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 1,385
  • car7.JPG
    car7.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 1,385
  • car8.JPG
    car8.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 1,385
  • car9.JPG
    car9.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 1,374
Upvote 0

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you much for the pictures. Enjoyed looking at them. I once knew a place in Mississippi that had old cars in a field like that. A highway went through, and they were shoved out of the way. I guess they buried them. Loved the pictures...

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just going through the seats alone will net you a fortune in silver coins! Neat pics, want more!

HH
-GC

JUNKYARD DOG

Feb 29, 2008
Mid Mo
Detector(s) used
DFX, COMPASS SCANNER,
Looks like someone has a mint in car parts for the restorers, Check out under those seats for coins that fell out of pockets, you never know. Good luck...JYD..

pariswalk29 (NH)

Sep 10, 2007
Derry NH
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Thats a fortune just waiting in the woods there for you. Many people would love some of the cars or need
parts for theirs. Don't hesitate to try and salvage them.

Thanks for the pics.
Mike B Derry NH

OP
OP
B

bspicer4

Greenie
Sep 5, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett GX 1000
Thanks guys!!! its to wet and rainy but i plan to go this weekend

Ill take more pics and post finds!!!!!!!!

Gator-Flea

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
Where the grass is blue
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can remember seeing most of those rust buckets setting on main street in Winchester Ky. when I was a Kid.................Gee I'm feeling old!!!!

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
thats an awesome place....i saw some Chevelles also....there is an old man close to where I live that has a junk yard like that...he won't sell anything either

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
Holy Smokes!!!!!! It will take some time to go through 10K worth of cars and trucks searching, sounds like a ton of fun, lol many tons of fun. Keep us informed.

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Thanks for sharing the pictures. That's an amazing junk yard. Can you get some pictures of the Mustangs?
Dman
Dman
Dman
Dman

LMC 620

Apr 29, 2009
Staten Island NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Gee, and all I ever found in the woods was near where I hunt in upstate NY. An old abandoned 36 Plymouth. Stripped off the trim, knobs, hubcaps and handles. Made a few hundred on eBay.

Make an offer, one at a time if you have to. Shame to let them rot away like that.

Lee

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
My Grandpa does that here. He goes regularly to junk yards looking for old cars and searches them for old coins people lost in them. He has found a lot of old silver doing it. It is an interesting offshoot to treasure hunting. Love the pics, thanks for sharing.

TG

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10 Thousand old cars from 1970 on back :o :o :o Big car nut here ,I have a few ol Chevys. That is astounding ..To bad they rust in Kentucky too. Still a goldmine with coins under the seats but even more coin in the parts , stainless trim, complete cars and drivetrains,etc.Etc. I am not sure how much u know about antique cars :dontknow: if not much , learn ,because if u find the right cars and can get the junk yard guy to sell them ,cha ching. Any muscle cars ??? are big $'s , Chevelle Super Sports ,Gto's ,Roadrunners ,Camaros, Mustangs, Hemi Mopars , any 55-57 Chevys ..esp Nomads .. 59 Impala convertible would be a cool metal detecting cruiser. Nice finds :thumbsup:

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you folks! just added another tool to my arsenal to my never ending search for silver!

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Want to find some old coins around there? I will tell the secret. I worked detailing used cars most of my teen years. Here is the tip: Pull up the back seats and look under the front seats. Coins always seem to work their way out of your pocket and slide into the seat. I have found jewelry, coins, match box cars, food, fishing gear and all kinds of stuff under seats of many cars. Check it out, you may find some good old silver in some of those. :icon_pirat:

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bring a tear to your eye but cool pics. Thanks for posting, i look forward to more. :icon_thumright:

tuatara

Jan 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer SE
An interesting place to visit and look for treasure. Once I spoke to a guy whose father had a junk yard on the farm. In his spare time he used to restore vintage cars of the 30-40ties. After his father's death, the family sold the place to developers. This guy took with him as many cars as he could accommodate in the yard of his new home. The rest of the cars were buried and an entire new suburb was built upon this place. Later when vintage cars came into fashion, the guy sold what he had for a fortune. There is a plot of land that has not been built up yet. So I tried to detect there. Very rubbishy and challenging. Yet managed to find quite a number of old foreign coins including an American V nickel of 1906. Another find is an eagle button from the times of WWII. Have a go at it!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread