1895 dated item (ID?) + Victorian hairpin

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
I got out today in a grass lot in the oldest part of town here in Georgia behind an old house, and found these two interesting items. The "token" (?) dated 1895 is a little thicker than a nickle and round like a coin, but partially cut so it's not round now. Has a slight lip along the edge. About the size of a penny and made of lead. May not be a coin or token at all. Some writing on the other side, but I can't read it even with magnification (any ideas, please reply). The hairpin is cool, probably late 1800s or early 1900s. Got out for the first time with Chris, a good guy who got his first detector recently and this was really his first time out detecting an old site. He found a few things and will probably be posting. I got him hooked up with T-net. Thanks to Earthworks for sizing these photos.

Attachments

• 1895.jpg
    1895.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 550
  • hairpin.jpg
    hairpin.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 542
Upvote 0

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cant help with the first piece. If you post it on the "what is it forum" with a clearer pic, someone might be able to ID it. That hair piece is nice. :icon_thumright:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can only make a guess, if it is lead-like than a seal of some type , the number could also represent something other than a date. Any finds up north this time of year is a good find, at least you got out. Going to try tomorrow morning, IF I can park and IF the ground is not too yucky. Over two inches of rain today on top of the white stuff, all lowlands flooded good and late Wednesday into Friday back to the white stuff again, so I will try an get a quick hunt in tomorrow.

Don

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Nice finds. I found a hair pin just like that. I need to find that pic again...Congrats. jgas

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First one is a lead bag seal

Top Member Reactions