Dry Holes

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
The weather today was amazing for January. I managed to get out for a little while, first real experience with my new Explorer II.
Many talk about the learning curve with this machine, but I have not found it especially difficult. In basic operation its much like my CZ. Listen to the tones, then check the meter.
I had the 5 inch coil on it as i started in a wood chip playground. It still seems to be too sensitive. Wifeys Garrett GTAx 1250 is a total coin zapper with the small coil. The EX II kept sounding off on the buried metal supports of the equipment, and I could not get the 5 inch coil any closer to the metal poles than my CZ with the 8 inch coil. I hear DD coils dont lose much sensitivity as they get smaller.
I found about a $1 at the playground, all new clad. and headed to an old homesite nearby that I have never searched yet.
There is no home there now, as it was knocked down, but I saw it many times before that. I estimate it was probably built around the turn of the century, (last century) It was not a rowhome, but built in the long, narrow rowhome style. My brother tells me they were built like this in the days of woodstoves and fireplaces. The fireplace was located at one of the narrow ends of the house, and the nearby sidewalls deflected heat out into the house, instead of just along the fireplace wall.
You can still tell there used to be a home there, even thouigh its gone, as there are still old stone walls along the front, with gaps for the front steps and driveway.
I had visions of silver plums dancing in my head.
Well, in a word, I found squat.
The site looks pretty nice. All smooth grass, open, with no trees or bushes. But its absolutely lousy with JUNK! Endless small rocks, glass in the soil, pieces of brick and an infinite variety of metal junk.
I found 2-3 pounds of worthless, unrecognizable crap. I hauled a lot of it out, so as to not find it again. But after an hour and a half in the slightly muddy place, I came home wet and dirty and nothing to show for my time. Zilch. Not even a zinc penny.
Man, thats discouraging.
Now I have to start looking for other places to search, as this place does not seem worth it.
I am slowly learning the Explorer II. It seems made more for open, not too junky spaces, with the potetial for deep silver, to take advantage of its sensitivity.
This time of year the windows of opportunity for hunting are narrow, and I have used the Ex II mostly in woodchip playgrounds up to now.
I at first thought it was extremely optimistic on depth, as it seemed to give double what I was actually finding them, but its an artifact of the 5 inch coil, half the size of the factory standard.
The built in VCO pinpointing works fine. When I get better I will go back to the bigger coil. Ideally I think I will eventually get an 8 inch. Its the best compromise.
This is real work
Happy Hunting all,
Hugger

Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey LH...at least you got in some swingin' time.Those playground post will sing to you no matter what.Glad you got out!HH!!

R

rvbvetter

The EXP II I've found to work well in trashy sites. It takes time but if you learn to ignore all but the highest pitch sounds and trust it. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I have the CZ 3D as well and they are just a totally different beast from the EXP II. But both I've found to be very deep machines. The Exp is a slower machine but the deepest i've ever used. Keep at it and like everything else, the more you use it the more you'll appreciate it. Good luck HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread