wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
last summer I found an 18k religious medal with a gold washed necklace, a guy on here found one very similar just a short while ago near haiti I believe. it turns out the medallion is saint barbara the patron saint of cannoneers. I found this online a short while ago, man I love the internet.

91209beachfinds18knecklace.jpg

saintb01.jpg

Santa Barbara, virgin and martyr, is said to have lived at the close of the third and beginning of the fourth century of the Christian era. in the Roman, the Greek, and the Russian calendars her feast day is celebrated on 4 December, the presumed anniversary of her martyrdom.

Born the daughter of the wealthy Dioscorus, she grew to maidenhood so incomparably beautiful that her father shut her up in a high tower for safekeeping. Guarded by her virtue even more than by her tower, she studied deeply in philosophy until as she grew to be as surpassing in learning and character as she was in loveliness. Her studies and thoughts led her to see the folly of heathenism and she secretly became a Christian.

Dioscorus, discovering that his daughter was a Christian, denounced her to the governor of the province, Marcian or Martianus. After cruel tortures she was condemned to be beheaded, and her inhuman father himself acted as her executioner. For this Dioscorus was struck by lightning and wholly consumed. Ever since this exemplary vengeance, Santa Barbara has been generally considered as the protectress against thunder, lightning and explosive flame of all kinds, becoming thus by an easy analogy- when gunpowder appeared-the patron saint of cannoneers and ordnance men. the cannoneers of Lillie, in France, commissioned under royal letters patent in 1417 as the “confreres de Sainte Barbe,” were among the first to recognize her as a patroness and guardian. Their example was speedily followed through France, Italy, Germany, and other European countries.

A picture of Santa Barbara hangs in the office of the Chief of the Bureau of Naval Ordnance...

if the guy who found the other medallion reads this please pm me or email me if possible.

Upvote 0

tuatara

Jan 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer SE
Re: research pays off big time

Beautiful legend. But the medallion is even better :hello2: I believe that Barbara or Varvara (Byzantine version of the name) reputedly lived on the territory of modern Turkey. The Ukraine and Bulgaria both claim that the girl's remains are held in their local cathedrals.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi Great post and find congrats

tinpan

OP
OP
wwwtimmcp

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

thanks guys, I just about did a backflip into a pike position from my computer chair last night. what a rush indeed.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett

Very interesting research info WTMCP !
I always enjoy getting more information.
Congrats on the nice find.
rmptr

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That sure is a nice neglace. I also love the internet to do my reseach. Did you find the neglace in the water at a beach area.....Matt

OP
OP
wwwtimmcp

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

yes found in the water of lake erie. I think it is from the wreck of the beaver lost in 1771.

tuatara

Jan 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer SE

yes found in the water of lake erie. I think it is from the wreck of the beaver lost in 1771.

It's a valuable find at any rate. But if it's from a ship wreck, it makes this priceless in a good sense of this word. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Beautiful find, any way you can get a closer pic?

:wink: RR

OP
OP
wwwtimmcp

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

no closer pics tonight my camera has to be put on manual and use ambient light to get anything like a closeup. I am almost positive this is from a shipwreck. I just hope it is the beaver, that would frost my cupcakes but good. you guys have no idea how much this means to me, and at this time too.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

WoW great find!! :read2:

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

nice chunk o gold!!!!!!!!!!!! MR TUFF

OP
OP
wwwtimmcp

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

here is a better closer photo, thanks tuatara I did not know that.

santabarbarapatronsaintofcannoneers.jpg

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just did a search For St Barbara, Looking for a previous Post I made and Saw this!!! Great find Looks Similar to ours( See avatar Pic ) sorry to Bring Up an old Post But it is a great find

OP
OP
wwwtimmcp

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
this find along with the 1700's gold signet cypher ring,1700's silver signet ring,1700's copper signet ring,cannonballs,indian trade goods,axes,cutlass handles,1700's barrel tap,musket balls,along with all the ships spikes and period tools, points to the beaver. the french and spanish also wore st. barbara medallions as well as the english.

OP
OP
wwwtimmcp

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
erie dearies, I once found a tackle box with over 60 fishing lures mostly erie dearies. I find them all the time. even if the hooks are rusted away it still has lead.

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wwwtimmcp said:
this find along with the 1700's gold signet cypher ring,1700's silver signet ring,1700's copper signet ring,cannonballs,indian trade goods,axes,cutlass handles,1700's barrel tap,musket balls,along with all the ships spikes and period tools, points to the beaver. the french and spanish also wore st. barbara medallions as well as the english.
uh, yeah! :notworthy: when there is an abundance of relics, identifying the source should certainly be possible...not only possible, but there's a certain obligation involved. On the other hand, it's a quandary when to share the site with archeaologists, who may facilitate the state taking your finds, or a percentage, and shutting you out from further exploitation of the site. Not sure what the law is on Lake Erie.

OP
OP
wwwtimmcp

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
dr. herdendorf is the state of ohio's underwater archaeologist, he has been extremely good to me with these finds and is very supportive. I contact him whenever there is a decent or better find, he liked the medallion and was able to see it firsthand last year as well as alot of other finds on the spot.

he enjoyed reading the research on st. barbara and has seen the broach I just found as well. his only request was if I found the bell or a cannon or something that would positively id the wreck was to leave it in situ until we could have it recorded for posterity.

I guarantee it will happen just that way when and if I ever do. this is going to make a fantastic book, I just wish I could hurry it up a little bit.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Do you know the date the Beaver sank?

I'm wondering if the Beaver from the HBC which sank in the Columbia River had any connection.

Great research on the medallion. Hope you're right, and you're on the wreckage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread