Indian Head!!

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I found my first indian head! It wasn't detected though. I am tearing down an old victorian house, and found this behind a baseboard in the wall. It's an 1863. What a feeling to find something like that! (the oldest coin I've found MDing was a 1909 wheat I think). I plan to detect the site once the house is down and I can clear the property a bit. I have detected a little there already, but it's hard with all the debris from demolition. I did find some printing press type set in a flower bed. I will post a pic of those and other neat things I found in the house in another thread.

Thanks for looking! ;D

Attachments

• IMG_0180.JPG
    IMG_0180.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_0181.JPG
    IMG_0181.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 404
Upvote 0

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Great looking coin, WTG!!!
Still brown too... can you still read the LIBERTY on the head dress?..
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

L

lohi

very nice find, found that indian head in the walls, cant wait to here what you find in the ground. H/H lohi

Klaatu

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Cheese,

The 1863 IH is copper-nickel (88%/12%) and is thicker than the bronze cents (95% copper/5% tin & zinc) that followed (starting in 1864). CN IH cents weigh 50% more than bronze IH cents (4.67 g vs. 3.11 g). Both types of IH were minted in 1864. You can usually identify a CN IH by its lighter color.

If LIBERTY is visible your coin may be in Fine condition and is worth $7 to $8.

That's a great find. Congrats.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
I was going to say...that looks mighty clean ::). Still an exciting find. Bet you can't wait to MD there.

Good Luck.

Mirage

Z

ZumbroKid

Nice clean coin, but thats cause it was under molding baseboard. This site will produce more if they prepare it for a new building and move the dirt around.

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well it was preserved from the elements, so it is a great find. Well done I am sure we are still going to see some great pictures of this site :o

God bless,
Peter

Daniel in NC

Dec 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Klaatu said:
Cheese,

The 1863 IH is copper-nickel (88%/12%) and is thicker than the bronze cents (95% copper/5% tin & zinc) that followed (starting in 1864). CN IH cents weigh 50% more than bronze IH cents (4.67 g vs. 3.11 g). Both types of IH were minted in 1864. You can usually identify a CN IH by its lighter color.

If LIBERTY is visible your coin may be in Fine condition and is worth $7 to $8.

That's a great find. Congrats.

Thanks for the info...you can definitely tell the difference in quality bewteen the CN and the Bronze...good looking coin.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet find..Be careful with the demo or you'll be diggin' more trash than you want.Congrat's and HH!!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a beautiful coin Cheese!

;)

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Thanks!

Funny you should mention that civilman!
I am taking great pains to keep the nails and trash from littering up the site too badly.? I am leaving the floors until nearly the end, and then I'll sweep the floors into the well (the well is just at the edge of the back porch, you can sweep into it) and detect under the floors before the area gets too much more trash.? I lowered myself intot he well today to check out what was in it before I fill it with junk.? I let go of the rope to tie it to a sink on what I thought was the bottom, had the guy up top pull the sink up, and let the rope back in.? I grabbed a piece of rotten wood to get it out of my way when a few pieces crumbled away.? They fell through the other rotten boards in there and I heard them continue to fall a good while before they stopped making noise.? Apparently I was NOT on the bottom of the well!? And I had JUST let go of my rope to get the sink up!? I apparently was standing on rotten wood pieces that were just wedged in the hole!? Needless to say, I came back out of that hole like a rabbit with his butt on fire!

Well, that was a first (going in a well).? I won't say I'll never do it again, but I don't think I'll be as haphazard about it next time, if there is a next time.? If brains were matches, I better not move to Alaska. Brrrrrr!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find and thanks for sharing the pic! HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread