Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
File' Gumbo

It's a beautiful sunny day, but the old north winds is howling. If it dips below 65, it's cold! After the farm chores, I thought I would do a little more scratching around in the dirt. I did find 1 point but the cold wind gave me a earache so I gave up. >:(

As far as yesterday's finds it was a mixture of file' gumbo (a little of everything thrown into the pot). Started out searching for points, found 3 then I switched to MDing the lower area where the logging road is located. I just sat down & started digging, digging & digging the more I dug the more I would pull out of the mud. Links, chains, files, different iron pieces just more of a lot of junk, even pulled a piece of glass that was readable "Lyon Mfg New York". Then I ran into what I thought was pottery buried deep, I had to screen for the rest. The very 1st piece I pulled out thought it had a drawing on it (looked sorta like Bugs Bunny's front teeth) ;D. Well, it did!!. After I got as much as I could find, I looked at each piece very closely. It was turtle shell. Now, this was found in the same field as the points, but on the upper end of the pasture. Makes me wonder how the turtle shell got mixed in with the blacksmith stuff & not where all the points are being found?

Check out the picture with the shell. Do you see the one that looks like Bugs' teeth?

HH :)

Attachments

• Turtle Shell.jpg
    Turtle Shell.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 196
Upvote 0

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
Re: File' Gumbo

It Is Strange How Relics & Artifacts can Get Mixed Together, You Just Never Know What Might Turn Up. Best of Luck. trk5capt...

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A not so well known fact about turtle shells. After making for a great meal, the turtle shell and bottom plate could be stiched back together after being tanned/dried to make a great little container. It would have been light in weight and with an added thin leather strap to carry over the shoulder could have carried all sorts of items. Like a purse. HH and interesting finds, Mike

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Neat find!

;)