Quick hunt at Route 66 park gets silver

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Here is the coins I found at a park in an old town off of route 66. Here is the post about the road trip we took. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,307113.0.html There is also a link inside this link about the big cross in Groom,TX. I only hunted for about an hour and got the silver and the wheat in the first ten minutes. I will have to go back sometime. I bet there is much more old coins if I got these so soon in the hunt. We had to get on the road though and I was more then happy to add one more silver to my collection. The stuff on the dime is just dirt that washed off easily with soapy water and came out looking great. Poor Lincoln got shot in the head....again. This is my first coin that has a bullet hole through it. The weather looks great here this week and I should be able to get out quite a bit. I'll let y'all know this weekend of anything else I find. HH

TG

Attachments

• IMG_0441.jpg
    IMG_0441.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_0447.jpg
    IMG_0447.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_0449.jpg
    IMG_0449.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_0451.jpg
    IMG_0451.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_0452.jpg
    IMG_0452.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 384
Upvote 0

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
looks like 1952 was a good year unless you were a penny!!!!! LOL

Toby1858

Mar 21, 2009
Springfield Mo.
Detector(s) used
Whites m6
Nice finds! I live about half a mile from old 66, and hunted an old filling station foundation and a fairly famous burger joint that was recently torn down, down the road and managed 8 silver dimes 3 mercs 1 quarter and a bunch of wheats! I think all the old buildings and lots on old 66 have excellent potential for silver. But its mostly in old gravel drives where the silver is, and is very hard on the coins!

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Congrats on the silver and holed wheat !! :icon_thumright:

TommNJ

OP
OP
Texasgopher

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Chug said:
looks like 1952 was a good year unless you were a penny!!!!! LOL

I know, I thought it was funny that they were the same year and mint. I wish I could have found a 1952 d quarter too! ;D

TG

OP
OP
Texasgopher

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Toby1858 said:
Nice finds! I live about half a mile from old 66, and hunted an old filling station foundation and a fairly famous burger joint that was recently torn down, down the road and managed 8 silver dimes 3 mercs 1 quarter and a bunch of wheats! I think all the old buildings and lots on old 66 have excellent potential for silver. But its mostly in old gravel drives where the silver is, and is very hard on the coins!

Thats awesome! I agree about route 66 locations. I really want to investigate this more. Yeah I've seen what gravel can do to silver....not pretty.

TG

OP
OP
Texasgopher

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
plehbah said:
I cannot find a shot wheaty to save my life. Those are always excellent additions to your "numismatic oddity" collection.

The Gods of detecting have blessed me with a tramway deformed 1906 penny though, and so I will not end it all just yet.

Nice finds!

Well hey, this is just my first but if I find another shot wheat I'll trade you for your 1906. :laughing7:

TG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions