The Virgin, the not so Virgin, and a new SILVER milestone

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Friday afternoon I hunted with RacerX and managed to find a 1939 merc, a 1942 merc, as well as a 1918 buffalo nickel.

03-19-10-Silver.jpg

Sunday I hunted a spot that I've hit hard over the last year, and I've pulled several barbers, injuns, V nickels, my first SLQ, a few mercs, lots of teens wheatbacks, etc., from this spot. The past couple of times I've hit it, I found a few old coins, but no silver, I thought the silver had dried up. When I've hunted this area in the past, it's always been pretty wet, but this day it was really dry. Sunday I started hunting it and my first target was an 1898 indian head! Next target a few feet away was a 1901 indian head! Then I got a really iffy signal, bouncing from dime to everything else, and at 8" I pulled a merc :thumbsup: Over the next couple of hours I manage to dig seven wheats and two more mercs, all at depths around 8" deep in an area I've hunted hard over the past year, and had written off for producing more silver. Then I switched from the stock 11" DD to the 5" DD coil to see if I could coax out another silver or two. No silver, but I found another wheatback, and a little pocket spill of 5 wheatbacks (amazing I never dug this before). I was a bit surprised that all three silvers Sunday turned out to be mercs (1919, 1943 & 1944), as barbers had far outnumbered all my other silver finds there, but we take what we get. I hate the cliché "that no site is ever hunted out", as trust me there are some that truly are, BUT it did prove to me that different hunting times/conditions will light up different targets. Two of the wheatiebacks I found were in a the same hole as a big rusty nail, which I suspect when the ground was wet produced such a large iron halo that it completely masked the wheatiebacks.

03-21-10-Silver-IH.jpg

Some research I did a few months ago resulted in finding a virgin site that Mark (beachbumm) and I have been working, and it's been a good producing site. On our way there, I told Mark that my next silver coin would be my 20th silver coin since our last MD club meeting (which was on March 9th), and finding 20 silvers in two weeks would be new milestone for me (my metal detecting months are like fiscal years, and start on the second Tuesday of every week, as that's when we do our MD club show and tell). We get to the site, and we decide to move some fallen limbs out of the way to detect under them. After we move them, I'm in the thick getting a the usual junk, when I get a great sounding silver signal, dig it, and I get silver #20 in two weeks, a 1946 silver quarter :headbang: I'd been happy if that was the only silver I found today, but there was more in store. Shortly after I found mine, Mark also found a silver quarter :icon_thumleft: We cleared out another area, and a swinging I went. I got a really lousy sounding signal, but the TID #'s are bouncing solidly from the high 80's to lower 90's (88-94). I'm thinking it's probably a piece of junk, but the #'s are locking in pretty well, could it be :icon_scratch: I dig down about 6" , check the hole with the pinpointer, and nothing, so I start scanning my dirt pile with the pinpointer and it gets a big signal. I'm thinking junk, but I push the dirt aside and BAM a big, beautiful 1941 Walker half reveals itself :hello2: It took me two years to find my first silver half dollar (also a Walker half), then five weeks after that I find my second Walker half :occasion18: After the Walker, I found three more silvers - 1947, 1956 and 1962 rosies, a few more wheats, and then we decided to call it a day.

03-23-10-Silver.jpg

03-23-10-Silvers.jpg

24 silver coins in two weeks is a huge new record for me, I can't wait to see what the next two weeks have in store :smileinbox:

Thanks for looking, and HH,
Brian

Upvote 0

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had a great silver hunt.....and a great silver 2 weeks. You found more silver in that one day then I do in 2 years here
in Korea. Silver was very very valuable, and only minted for general use from the 1890s until 1910, when the Japanese came
in and made themselves at home. Anyhoo, great finds......hope you have many more weeks similar. :thumbsup:

maddog

Jan 26, 2009
Detector(s) used
MXT 300
WTG - Research pays off!!! All that silver - what a dream. Congrats :headbang:

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is a lot of digging :o but worth every silver of it ;D MR TUFF

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
That's a nice pyle of silver man. Your in the right spots

HH Jer

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Thanks everyone, it's something I NEVER thought I'd see. My first year detecting I think I found all of five silver dimes :laughing7: My second year, I up'd it to 30-40, and this year, my third month of my third year of detecting, I'm about to surpass my first two years totals combined :headbang:

maddog said:
WTG - Research pays off!!! All that silver - what a dream. Congrats :headbang:
Hey Maddog glad to see you over here :hello:

Research is the key for finding forgotten about spots, and it's a lot of work, which more often then not, doesn't turn up a great spot, but every once and a while you get one that everyone else has overlooked for whatever reason. Also for research, I'm finding that NOTHING beats talking to the old timers and historians, you simply cannot find a lot of the information they know in books, newspapers, and the like. I have a lot of leads I'm working on, including an 1850 California dragoon encampment I'm making slow progress on finding, but I think another hour at the museum and I'll have it's exact location...hopefully it's never been hunted and a few keepers await being awoken from their 160 year old nap :read2:

hikeinmts said:
You had a great silver hunt.....and a great silver 2 weeks. You found more silver in that one day then I do in 2 years here
in Korea. Silver was very very valuable, and only minted for general use from the 1890s until 1910, when the Japanese came
in and made themselves at home. Anyhoo, great finds......hope you have many more weeks similar. :thumbsup:

That's a very limited window of opportunity for silver :-\ If I'm not mistaken, your gold jewelry tends to be 24K, if I lived in Korea I'd probably be detecting the beaches :thumbsup:

Thanks for looking and HH,
Brian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread