Honest to gosh we got 4 more seated dimes and the Cache Story goes on....

johny mc.

May 18, 2005
The last time I talked to you guys we had gone to the spot on the Delaware River and dug some and left figuring it was over....well thanks to a few days and several folks saying go back we Markg and I went back last night.....it was ok cold and I had a good feeling this time........we started up top and dug down about 8 inches and got two more seateds... two coins in the pic are cc's.....(and yes the very first one we got weeks ago was a 76)...... we moved down about 3-4 feet where the very first one was dug and after 20... 30 minutes of moving dirt we pulled two more.......seeing the condition of these things Mark said no one's going to believe this...and I said I do cause I saw the condition of the first couple dimes and the half-dimes...and I also said something not pg rated about whether I cared if people believed us (if somebody wants to waste their time putting pics of coins up I might as well believe it)....this brings our total to 16 coins pulled from this spot...the marker is there with the t or cross on the top....we have thought of all kinds of scenarios.....and we are trying to get more info on the area.....these coins are the best conditioned coins out of here....
We now believe there is more to be found and we have a digging plan...............what is interesting as it relates to detecting is how these coins hit on the machines...now part of it may be the roots......but I believe it is the size of these dimes....they are small.......it changes my whole approach to detecting......here's what I mean........after swinging the coil ( I'm using an XLT with stock coil set on a coin program) you get a sometime repeatable sound though not loud and not consistent....even after moving the coin that process continues ....these coins are not caked.....once you get them fully uncovered you do get a loud sound....what we have been doing now is to look for the edge of the coin............there is absolutely nothing more fun than to dig it out and know it is in the pile and then go looking for the edge......
What is also interesting is we have found not one Indian or a quarter...this is playing into the whole guessing game.... possible cross, was it just a gathering place,etc............It's not the same as the first one found but this is a blast.......going this long to get a seated dime then to get so many.........the dates on these coins are all so congested and then you throw in the Canadian one....well its interesting and we are really hoping there is a seated Quarter in there...well its going to snow so we won't get back for a while....aloha Johny Mc. ..........................if we get more I'm just going to keep on posting them till there's no more...

oh I got this 53 Roosie on my everyday before work hunt this morning....I tried to save the whole frozen dirt pile but it crumbled...

Attachments

• SL550366.JPG
    SL550366.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 575
  • SL550375.JPG
    SL550375.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 570
Upvote 0

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Johny,
Those are some nice little ladies.
I know exactly what you mean about seeing the edge of the coin first, especially when its likely to be that old.
It's always fun to "milk" them.
Don't know what it is with the '76 and '77 CC dimes. I have a bunch of them. Hardly ever get them from the 1860's or 1880's.
Wait till you get a seated half, they look as large as garbage can lids when they are in the hole.
WTG!

Daniel in NC

Dec 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Those are some great coins and in unbelievable shape. There has got to be more there. The site that I have pulled most of my coins from is the backyard of my parents house where there used to be an old tavern. Everytime I go there I always find "one more" coin. I think I will keep detecting it until I go there constistantly without any finds. I have found around 25 coins dating from 1837 to the early 1900s, none in as good shape as yours. On my site, I believe that there was a wooden porch or deck to the taven and the coins fell through the planks where they couldn't be retreived. When you find a bunch of coins in one area like that there must be a reason and it make you wonder.

-Daniel

markgPA

Jan 13, 2006
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites PrizmV, Minelab Explorer SE
Hey John
The total is 18! If we don't get the foot of snow they're calling for.....WE GOTTA GO BACK!
Mark G

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dude im pissed i hate winter!!!!! ;D that TROY X5 doin me good jonny!got it about 1/2 payed off great summer $300 clad ,4 gold rings and 13 silver ones,3 more silver rosies making a total of 4...so ill hang in here,some one kick the chair out from under me....by the way KILLER DIGS

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey johnymc,this place seem's like it will never end..Nothin' wrong with that though.Great find's and keep diggin'.HH!!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o NO WAY JOHNY MACK! :o

WOW!

Congrats to you two! I love this story!

;)

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
thats awesome! you must be onto an old swimming hole or fishing spot. i am also on the banks of the delaware, and i just know that people had to have had a similar spot around here somewhere. up to now i have had no luck in finding it, but i know it has to be there. there just wasnt as much to do back then as there is now and i know that that river would have been too tempting to pass up on a hot day! ill find it someday!! great digs!! ill bet those quarters are there, you just havent found one yet!

J

jgpreston

Awsome finds Johny. Sorry. I don't understand "is to look for the edge of the coin" in your detecting technique. But, WTG.

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds!! Great condish!! WTG and HH

L

lohi

WTG!!! very nice coins looks like you found a great spot . Delaware? i grow up in claymont still have family there hope to visit this summer. HH lohi.

R

rb

Man those coins are sweet. I live real close to Carson City where the cc's were minted. Thoese are in realy great shape. HH RB

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats the big deal about finding seated dimes any way? JUST KIDDING!!!Congrats and keep posting. HH Burdie

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
lohi said:
WTG!!! very nice coins looks like you found a great spot . Delaware? i grow up in claymont still have family there hope to visit this summer. HH lohi.

its a small world iohi, i live on north market street in wulmington,right at the foot of penny hill. a mere spitting distance from claymont! you know those turn of the century "claymonsters" must have had a swimming spot on the banks of the delaware!

SaintSea

Feb 13, 2005
Central Florida
Hey there Lohi! As Hollowpointred already knows, lived just down the road from you in Wilmington! I grew up in spitting distance of his home at the foot of Penny Hill and went to Mt. Pleasant High School in the 70's.
Small world, indeed.
Ruth

S

southbound

That is one awsome story! The finds are incredible!!! Keep it up! 8) Vern

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread