Best Hunt Ever At A New 1840s Homesite. 8 IHs ,Flintlock Side Plate , More!!

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best Hunt Ever At A New 1840's Homesite. 8 IH's ,Flintlock Side Plate , More!!

While out looking for new places to hunt on Easter Sunday with Terry Everly (Teverly on treasurenet) we passed an old place that was empty. After hunting around for the owner I finally managed to get a phone number. Well, today I called and it was a good thing. She said it was fine just to call a farmer who uses some of the land for experimental farming. I told him that I'd be hunting over there and the kind of car I had. Well, I think he followed up on me and stopped by for a few. We had a friendly conversation and he left. He had said that the owner had e-mailed him just after I called her. It so happens that someone had broke out a few of the windows and they were concerned. I said, "no worry". I'll be vigilant and keep an eye out for you.

The place was recently vacated due to an electrical fire in December. The house has been condemned until the necessary repairs are made. That might be very expensive and who knows how long it will sit idle. Better for me ;D

While hunting there tonight I noticed that the place looked familiar. I have and old atlas that my late Grandmother gave me from 1874. Well wouldn't you know I scored in a big way.........again. This is the old John Cranston place, a very influential man of his time with a road named after him for starts. The house was built in the 1840's. The last place I lucked out on was the John McDonald place I hunted for over a year and it too was from the 1830/40's. Every coin in that yard except for 3 were pre-1800.

Now to the hunt. I was able to get in a 3 hour hunt tonight and it was nothing short of constant digging. I like to photograph my finds from the hole but due to too many coins I won't show every dig. I also shot the coins before cleaning them. I won't tonight as I'm too tired. This place, just like the McDonald place will keep me plenty busy all year. The farm is 1000 acres and the house and all of the builings and barn sit on 20 plus. Check out the old heating thing in the picture of the inside. I was able to take a picture through the window. This place is a fortress!!

Here is what I found:
1 large flat button (dandy?)
1941 silver quarter
1918 merc (in bad shape)
1907 V nickle
1911 V nickle
A copper token
3 1946 nickles
a whistle that still works
14 wheats (all from the teens, 20's and 30's
8 Indians: 1 1880, 1889, 2-1890's, 1899, 1901, 1905, 1907
also found a small, intact crotal bell

Now I know there are some largies hiding there, somewhere. However, I have a lot of hunting left. Like to find a flying Eagle and a 3 center which is on my wish list. ::)

Below is a picture of the J. McDonald place which I hunted last year. It was built in 1834. It just finally sold a few months ago after being on the market for 5 years. I hunted that place to death!!

036.jpg

Picture382-2.jpg

Now on to the new place.... John Cranston Homestead

015-3.jpg

011-4.jpg

013-3.jpg

012-3.jpg

016-3.jpg

017-3.jpg

018-2.jpg

037.jpg

035.jpg

023-2.jpg

025-2.jpg

026-2.jpg

027-2.jpg

028-1.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

033.jpg

034.jpg

014-3.jpg

020-3.jpg

019-3.jpg

001-9.jpg

002-11.jpg

Upvote 0

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Best Hunt Ever At A New 1840's Homesite. A whole tribe of Indians!! And More

heck ya :thumbsup:

maceman66

Mar 29, 2009
SE Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Best Hunt Ever At A New 1840's Homesite. A whole tribe of Indians!! And More

Looks like a great day to me!! Nice finds!!! :icon_thumleft:

jb58

May 22, 2009
missouri
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wowza great hunt ron!! your da man!

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds :icon_thumleft: you struck it rich at that site not many times that many IH,s show up Good Hunt Dd60

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Deepdiger60 said:
Great finds :icon_thumleft: you struck it rich at that site not many times that many IH,s show up Good Hunt Dd60

That's only part of the front yard. I got a long way to go :o The McDonald place gave up 15 IH's, all pre-1900. I hope I can beat that ::)

TejasDigger

Sep 5, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Ace 250, Pro Pointer

I'd like to find a place like that! Good job and I bet there's still a bunch there waiting for you, so good luck on your next visit! :icon_thumleft:

Shortround

Feb 28, 2007
Castlewood, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Sovereign GT Sunray S1 Probe

ZOMG! What a fantastic site! Congrats on your finds and I am sure there will be many more coming from that place

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Hello Ron.

I just logged in and saw your post! :headbang:

Looks like you found another very productive spot to detect. With all of those injuns popping up, I can definitely see you finding barbers and seateds there. And as old as the home is, maybe a large cent or two. :thumbsup:

Great pics and finds! Good luck on your return trip there!

Take care!
Dan
CAPTN SE

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Captn SE said:
Hello Ron.

I just logged in and saw your post! :headbang:

Looks like you found another very productive spot to detect. With all of those injuns popping up, I can definitely see you finding barbers and seateds there. And as old as the home is, maybe a large cent or two. :thumbsup:

Great pics and finds! Good luck on your return trip there!

Take care!
Dan
CAPTN SE

Glad to see your posting again. Hopefully you will make a strong come-back soon :icon_sunny:

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great story, research, photos !!!

Wish you all the best !!!

Keep us posted

Rockyredbaron

HH to all

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola

Wow A good day in anyone's book.

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...

Great hunt, what a slew of injuns :headbang:

It must be exciting to get permission to hunt those old mansions, imagining the possibilities of what you could find :icon_pirat:

HH,
Brian

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great hunt Ron! Congrats! :thumbsup:

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome job buddy, I can't wait to see all the goodies you will pull from that place!!! :icon_pirat:

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)

Great story!! and researching,,,oh ya ,,,,and nice coins also I might add!!!! :headbang:,,,now get in there and dig and post!!!! :laughing9:

thanks for sharing

arthur

geo4472

Feb 19, 2007
paterson nj
Detector(s) used
discovery 2000 , ace 250 & x-terra 50

very nice hunt

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008

ron!! awesome looking place ya got there. thats great to latch onto a place ya know you will be at for awile. i will be seeing some nice posts from that place. congrats buddy. willy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread