1847 coin button?

coinshtr

Sep 9, 2004
I was hoping that someone here could help me identify a find I had today?
It is a bit smaller than a modern dime.
It features a date of 1847 and what appears to be lady liberty surrounded by 13 stars like lot of coins in that time frame had. Liberty doesn't appear in the head band. The markings look more like little dots or round impressions. However the back doesn't seen to be a coin at all. More like a button without a loop on it. I have tried to get a decent digital photo but they come out too blurry. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Upvote 0

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
G'day, Depending on the size you may have the remains of what was called an advertising shell card. What looked like a gold coin was stamped with no back. In the back side was placed a printed cardboard advertisement from the issuer. Some of these are fairly pricey BUT with no way of identifying the issuer the value would be greatly diminished. If that is what you have the face and rim will be there and on the backside there will just be a hollow space. Could also just be a button. exanimo, ss

OP
OP
C

coinshtr

Sep 9, 2004
Thank you much for you reply. Did an Ebay search for shell cards. One came up that looked like what you were talking about. I do think you nailed this one sir. Appreciate it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread