Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are definite unique picks,forged for a specific purpose!Never seen one like the first one,but have a couple of the second.Your whatsit is a oil lamp I believe,I have some small ones that are similar.

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool! thanks for the post!

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Strange picks. Almost like a hoe on the ends of them. Maybe for softer/loose soil conditions?

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's some great finds lumbercamp :icon_sunny:

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smaller one is called a single-jack, and the bigger one is called a double-jack. Single-jack = used by one person.
Double-jack = held by one person, hit by another. My friend and I found a set of single and double-jacks in the gold mining
area in Eastern Oregon......they are in a museum just outside of Baker City, Oregon. Great finds, Lumbercamp. I have been
waiting to read some more of your exploits in the woods. And, am trying to turn some Oregon guys on to hunting some of the lumber camps in Oregon. (I think if I were in the States, and at home, those are some of the places that would see my detector.) Keep us posted on how much iron you are digging out of the ground. :thumbsup:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hikeinmts said:
Smaller one is called a single-jack, and the bigger one is called a double-jack. Single-jack = used by one person.
Double-jack = held by one person, hit by another. My friend and I found a set of single and double-jacks in the gold mining
area in Eastern Oregon......they are in a museum just outside of Baker City, Oregon. Great finds, Lumbercamp. I have been
waiting to read some more of your exploits in the woods. And, am trying to turn some Oregon guys on to hunting some of the lumber camps in Oregon. (I think if I were in the States, and at home, those are some of the places that would see my detector.) Keep us posted on how much iron you are digging out of the ground. :thumbsup:
Thats right,the hammer heads.It is something to watch a good team of hand drillers.....a lot of trust involved!!

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I think your whatsit is an old oiler used to oil mining equipment, train engineers used to walk around their train during stops and lubricate certain wear points with one as well.

OP
OP
lumbercamp

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
Thanks for ID'ing the pick heads. Well, first of all, I hate to say this, but I was almost about to give up on posting my finds. It seems that all the posts are on Civil War, crusty old coins that are so corroded that they are worthless and jewelry, none of witch I dig. If I were in Civil War area I sure would dig for those relics. The lamp that I don't know what it is, is 10" tall. Hikeinmts, I would love to dig lumber camps in Oregan. Better tell your friends to dig them before i get there lol. I'm sure a lot of the tools would be the same as here in the east of Pa. but being such larger timber some things would be different. I'm assuming they used spring boards there, which were not used in the east. Evidently you like to hike. If you get back to the states and want to pay my air fare to Oregan and take me hiking in the winter, then I'm all for it.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were the picks I.Ded?? :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread