🥇 BANNER U.S. PLATE, 1746 Pillar Reale, VIRGINIA & MASS. BUTTONS....ALL FROM NEW CAMPSITE

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U.S. PLATE, 1746 Pillar Reale, VIRGINIA & MASS. BUTTONS....ALL FROM NEW CAMPSITE

What's up TNet. Jeff (UmrGolf2000) and I got out to do our daily digging yesterday and today and we secured permission at a new site which ended up being a AWESOME untouched Civil War Campsite!!! :headbang: :headbang: We dug some really amazing stuff and unbelievable quantities.....we're still pretty light-headed from the whole experience and this goes down as one of our best hunts this year! We hope y'all enjoy them!! Well enough talking....onto the photos! We have a few videos too :thumbsup:

The button in the video ended up being the Massachusetts button :wink:

Some of the buttons as they come out of the dirt

Virginia Cuff Button (W.H.M. Smith New York)
MD Pics 247.jpg

War of 1812 Navy Eagle Button
IMG_0018.JPG

Large Eagle Artillery Coat Button
22043_12_01_11_10_18_29_1.jpeg

22043_12_01_11_10_18_28_0.jpeg

Massachusetts Button
IMG_0013.JPG

1820's Eagle Artillery Button (1-piece SCOVILLS)
IMG_0016.JPG

National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers Cuff Button
IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

Group Button shot (8 GS buttons, Eagle A, Eagle I, VA, MA, 1812 Navy, 1812 Artillery Corps, 1820's Artillery, silver flat button, unknown button)
IMG_0022.JPG

Eagle Pistol Percussion Cap Lid (heavily silver plated) & US box plate
IMG_0029.JPG

1746 Pillar Style One Reale (mexico city, mexico)
IMG_0033.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

1862 Indian Head Penny
IMG_0036.JPG

Group Photo
IMG_0040.JPG

Upvote 0

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Re: U.S. PLATE, 1746 Pillar Reale, VIRGINIA & MASS. BUTTONS....ALL FROM NEW CAMPSITE

Ok, you all come up and dig the plates and I come down and dig the buttons. The plates take up to daggone much space and I get tired of looking at all those US's ha ha
I don't ever remember seeing any regular GAR buttons with the soldiers shaking hands. just the collar studs. I looked in Albert's book and didn't see any. Not saying the don't exist though. I hope you all find out what it is. Let us know when you do. OK?

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: U.S. PLATE, 1746 Pillar Reale, VIRGINIA & MASS. BUTTONS....ALL FROM NEW CAMPSITE

Silver Searcher said:
:o :o :o

Wel didn't you find a good place to hunt :o congrats on the Banner :headbang: that's better than digging 2000 year old cruddy Roman coins :wink:

SS

Thanks SS.....I don't know.. ;D ALOT of those Roman coins aren't "cruddy" though and are quite awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_thumleft: :wink:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds !!

U

umrgolf

vayank54 said:
Ok, you all come up and dig the plates and I come down and dig the buttons. The plates take up to daggone much space and I get tired of looking at all those US's ha ha
I don't ever remember seeing any regular GAR buttons with the soldiers shaking hands. just the collar studs. I looked in Albert's book and didn't see any. Not saying the don't exist though. I hope you all find out what it is. Let us know when you do. OK?

plates sound nice :laughing9: at least ones that look better than the one in our post ::) i know what you mean about the heartbreakers.. the virginia cuff i posted about 3 weeks ago turned out to be 1870-1880 (D. Klein)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Guys, I have been looking for that button ALL DAY with no luck. There is a military academy that comes to mind that it might be from--but I'll have to PM you, since there are no extant buttons from that school known. :o

Sir Digs-A-Lot

Sep 14, 2008
Orlando Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II and ACE 250
Re: U.S. PLATE, 1746 Pillar Reale, VIRGINIA & MASS. BUTTONS....ALL FROM NEW CAMP

BuckleBoy said:
Guys, I have been looking for that button ALL DAY with no luck. There is a military academy that comes to mind that it might be from--but I'll have to PM you, since there are no extant buttons from that school known. :o

Awesome, awesome discoveries. I've been staring at that 'unknown' button as well, looking for clues. Appears that the figure on the right has his right leg raised with his foot resting on an object (rock?). At the bottom, is that 3 stars and a crescent? If so, maybe it represents a fraternal organization of some kind. Congrats on the finds and good luck IDing the button. Cheers.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Great day out, amazing selection of buttons. :notworthy:
Congrat's on Banner. :icon_thumright:

U

umrgolf

Re: U.S. PLATE, 1746 Pillar Reale, VIRGINIA & MASS. BUTTONS....ALL FROM NEW CAMP

Thanks you guys who are helping to id the button.. We're thinking it has some fraternal association also and is highly likely a later button than the rest of the finds.. Let us know if u find anything else :icon_thumleft:

bigealive

May 20, 2008
Good Thunder, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 - Pro Pointer

Awesome finds!!! Buttons are great to find. Really like finding the Fat Indians.

U

umrgolf

bigealive said:
Awesome finds!!! Buttons are great to find. Really like finding the Fat Indians.

Thanks man, I think we've pulled up 8 or 9 of those fatties in the last couple of weeks :thumbsup:

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

whoa...thats all I can say.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on the Banner, J-Team :o .. ,nice thread 2 !! Fantastic hunt & finds !!! 8)

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil

I am having trouble with scale here.....is this item a bullet or much larger than a bullet? The reason I am asking, is that I found something that looks very similar. The item I found is a lot bigger than a bullet and made of thin copper. The item in your picture looks too large to be a bullet. If your item isn't a bullet, what is it?

Baldingboy

IMG_0040.JPG

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Baldingboy said:
I am having trouble with scale here.....is this item a bullet or much larger than a bullet? The reason I am asking, is that I found something that looks very similar. The item I found is a lot bigger than a bullet and made of thin copper. The item in your picture looks too large to be a bullet. If your item isn't a bullet, what is it?

Baldingboy

Hey BaldingBoy, what you're seeing is a flattened/smashed BIG BOY .69 Caliber Minie. You can only imagine getting hit by one of those.....they're the reason that doctors across the country were amputating during the Civil War. And as big as these were, there ARE just a FEW that have been found in the .72 caliber range but they are as RARE as hens teeth to find.

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil

{Sentinel} said:
Baldingboy said:

Baldingboy

Hey BaldingBoy, what you're seeing is a flattened/smashed BIG BOY .69 Caliber Minie. You can only imagine getting hit by one of those.....they're the reason that doctors across the country were amputating during the Civil War. And as big as these were, there ARE just a FEW that have been found in the .72 caliber range but they are as RARE as hens teeth to find.

A .69 Caliber? So that explains why it looks huge in the picture. Yeah, I can only imagine seeing what a .72 caliber looks like. That would be like getting hit by a rocket.

Well, you answered my question. The item I found looks just like a flattened bullet, but is made out of copper or brass and is hollow inside. It is considerably larger than even a .69 caliber. I suspect it was a topper on a silver dollar sized round post or something. The ridges around it give it the profile of a three ringer and it's old. Kinda puzzling...but probably just something decorative. :icon_scratch:

Thanks,
Baldingboy

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

One Reale my king Felipe V .... :notworthy:

Congrats on the hunt ....!!!

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HISPAN said:
One Reale my king Felipe V .... :notworthy:

Congrats on the hunt ....!!!

King Phillip/Felipe is your favorite king? I would understand if that is so because his Reales are beautiful! :icon_thumleft: :wink:

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fantastic day guys!! love the video not to long. Great site! :headbang:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

detectahead said:
Fantastic day guys!! love the video not to long. Great site! :headbang:

Thanks Detecta, Yes....we like making Videos to show the finds as we dig them...still in their DIRTY state :wink: :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions