Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the rate are low :laughing9:

Interesting little token of history ( I almost said piece of history). I wonder what years that establishment were in operation?

Treasure $ Trekkies

Mar 28, 2010
Miami Fla
Detector(s) used
whites, 2011 cion master, Whites MXT 300
The Fort Laramie Three-Mile Hog Ranch was built to serve Fort Laramie, in eastern Wyoming, as a social center away from the soldiers' post. It became notorious as a place to gamble, drink, and as a center for prostitution, with at least ten prostitutes always in residence. The location is notable as an example one of only a few military bordellos still standing in the United States by 1974, the time of its nomination to the National Register of Historic Places[2] The Fort Laramie site was one of a number of so-called "hog ranches" that appeared along trails in Wyoming.[3]

Located about 3 miles (4.8 km) from Fort Laramie, the ranch was established in 1873 by Jules Ecoffey and Adolph Cuny as a trading post and saloon. The next year prostitution was added as a further attraction.[3] One of the young prostitutes was Martha Jane Cannary, more popularly known in later years as Calamity Jane.[4] Both Ecoffey and Cuny were dead by 1877. The site was important as a social, commercial and transportation center, the nearest town of any size being 85 miles (137 km) away. The Cheyenne and Black Hills Stage Company operated a hotel for stage passengers, which apparently coexisted with the bordello, both operating until the stage line was abandoned in 1887.[5]

The ranch was described by U.S. Army Lieutenant John Gregory Bourke:[3]

... tenanted by as hardened and depraved set of witches as could be found on the face of the globe. It [was] a rum mill of the worst kind [with] half a dozen Cyprians, virgins whose lamps were always burning brightly in expectancy of the coming of the bridegroom, and who lured to destruction the soldiers of the garrison. In all my experience I have never seen a lower, more beastly set of people of both sexes.

Two structures remain. A U-shaped lime-grout building housed the bar, several rooms, and a cellar, along with a wooden barn. Lime-grout was used as an early form of concrete. Other buildings, now vanished, included a barn with loopholes for defense, eight "cribs" or two-room cabins for prostitutes,[3] shops and a pool hall.[5]

The Fort Laramie Three-Mile Hog Ranch was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.[1]

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CATFISHJK1 said:
TOKENS & MEDALS by Alpert & Elman, First Edition, 1992, lists this as a fantasy token from the 1970's - 1980's. The most common reverses are "Good For All Night" and "All Night $3 Check" and were usually sold at flea markets and western themed attractions.

Now I can see that happening, "come get your souvenirs from your stay". Still an interesting find :icon_thumleft:

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hence forth the expression a 2 bit wh+$@ :laughing7: nice find :icon_thumleft: Dd60

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
My dad owned a coin and gun shop and had a basket on the counter with multiple varietys of these fake tokens. Not that they didn't have such things but I have only ever seen novelty tokens like this. Cool find none the less.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CATFISHJK1 said:
TOKENS & MEDALS by Alpert & Elman, First Edition, 1992, lists this as a fantasy token from the 1970's - 1980's. The most common reverses are "Good For All Night" and "All Night $3 Check" and were usually sold at flea markets and western themed attractions.

More from the book: This is fraudulant and novelty in nature based on a consensus of knowledgable exonumia collectors, researchers and dealers. Collectors should be wary of pieces being offered as authentic old and valuable tokens. They are not.
Over the past 20 years, warnings of these fantasy and suspect pieces have been published in exonumia literature.

Exactly,there was a brothel here,that operated up into the 30's,and in the 70's a local antique salesman had a bunch of tokens made with the name on them and sold them for a Quarter(the actual brothel did have a token,but it did not say anything about anything to do with a brothel)now through time those Fantasy tokens are being claimed as the real deal to unknowing buyers that are paying big money for them!!

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure $ Trekkies said:
The Fort Laramie Three-Mile Hog Ranch was built to serve Fort Laramie, in eastern Wyoming, as a social center away from the soldiers' post. It became notorious as a place to gamble, drink, and as a center for prostitution, with at least ten prostitutes always in residence. The location is notable as an example one of only a few military bordellos still standing in the United States by 1974, the time of its nomination to the National Register of Historic Places[2] The Fort Laramie site was one of a number of so-called "hog ranches" that appeared along trails in Wyoming.[3]

Located about 3 miles (4.8 km) from Fort Laramie, the ranch was established in 1873 by Jules Ecoffey and Adolph Cuny as a trading post and saloon. The next year prostitution was added as a further attraction.[3] One of the young prostitutes was Martha Jane Cannary, more popularly known in later years as Calamity Jane.[4] Both Ecoffey and Cuny were dead by 1877. The site was important as a social, commercial and transportation center, the nearest town of any size being 85 miles (137 km) away. The Cheyenne and Black Hills Stage Company operated a hotel for stage passengers, which apparently coexisted with the bordello, both operating until the stage line was abandoned in 1887.[5]

... tenanted by as hardened and depraved set of witches as could be found on the face of the globe. It [was] a rum mill of the worst kind [with] half a dozen Cyprians, virgins whose lamps were always burning brightly in expectancy of the coming of the bridegroom, and who lured to destruction the soldiers of the garrison. In all my experience I have never seen a lower, more beastly set of people of both sexes.

Two structures remain. A U-shaped lime-grout building housed the bar, several rooms, and a cellar, along with a wooden barn. Lime-grout was used as an early form of concrete. Other buildings, now vanished, included a barn with loopholes for defense, eight "cribs" or two-room cabins for prostitutes,[3] shops and a pool hall.[5]

The Fort Laramie Three-Mile Hog Ranch was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.[1]

Ahhh... those were the good old days when a piece only cost $2.00. :laughing9:

DaleGM

Aug 21, 2009
Sacramento Cailifonia
Detector(s) used
V3i DFX MXT Excal II D2 6x10 950 4x6 & dx-1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how ya doing Vinny, that's a nice find fake or not, it makes a good conversation piece, they do sell those in Old Sac........tokens that is!!!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ray S ECenFL said:
If a piece costs $2.00 what does the whole thing cost? :tongue3:

:wink:

Hundreds of thousands!!! :laughing7:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plehbah said:
Mother has given me two dollars to go to the store with......
:laughing7:

baldy804

May 6, 2010
hey nice find yes there were alot of trade tokens around these parts but $2.00 seems to high for 1880s currency one of my best finds is a trade token from the labontee in in douglas wyoming when they first opened in 1901 good for 20 cents in trade the historical society there in douglas has several tokens on display but they dont have the one i found they told me it was the first trade token produced at that establishment witch is still going today

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks ,Uncle Vinny ::) 10 bucks equals , :icon_scratch: 5 good bad girls :o :o :o :o :o 8) 8) Cool token , replies are humorous :laughing1:

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Treasure $ Trekkies said:

... tenanted by as hardened and depraved set of witches as could be found on the face of the globe.

Now that is some funny stuff! I don't really know why. It really shouldn't be that funny, but roflmao. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread