Treasure Hunting on Govt. Property

T

Travlinguy

Hello All-
First, I realize this isn't the proper place for this question, but I also know that this is the most widely read thread on the site so I figured I might have the best odds of getting an answer here. Please forgive me for the misplaced question. :-*

Anyway, I'm doing some research for a paper for college and need to know what type of permission was required during the late 1950s to early 1960s to hunt buried treasure (gold) on a Federal Wildlife Preserve. Also, if it was even possible to get permission, what did the government require of a party that actually found old outlaw gold? I'm sure they wanted their share in income tax but did they also want a cut of the loot? I'm hoping that back then things weren't as onerous as they are now with Big Brother. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Upvote 0

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Not sure if this will be any help, but one place to start might be in some of the older Treasure Hunting magazines or books. An example might be Treasure Hunting Manual #6 or 7. You might also ask the Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine editor.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
If you'll read up on Victorio Peak search via "100 tons of gold " by chandler you'll get a real good idea. Then as now the easiest way to get an exception was to have a politician as a partner. exanimo, ss

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread