Wake Forest NC - need ID help on....coin/memorial? dug in backyard-2 halves

LostFinder

Nov 16, 2007
Wake Forest, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Whites Prizm V, Whites Prizm III Bounty Hunter Landstar (Backup)
I dug these two pieces of this coin or memorial piece from my backyard with a date of 1797 and would appreciate it if anyone can help with possibilities towards ID, They were app. 2ft apart. I just purchased my (Spectra V3i) and was getting to know it when I dug these pieces. I dug the first piece and rinsed it off and was curious so while it was soaking in warm water I went back out and found the rest of it. this is my first attempt at posting pics and would appreciate feedback on them as well.

Attachments

• DSC02507.JPG
    DSC02507.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 889
Upvote 0

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
MaineRelic said:
dfx willy said:
nice find kane! willy
My thought too Willy ?? Why is Kane posting as a newbie ??

nah. if you go to your profile page, you can select an avatar, and that bruce willis shot is one 'em (under actors). :thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LostFinder said:
Iron Patch said:
LostFinder said:
Iron Patch said:
LostFinder said:
Iron Patch said:
goldcoastwayne said:
8 escudo, Spain.

:thumbsup: Yep, Gold 8 Escudo modern reproduction.... but good for a rush I bet! (and it's more than just the metal that says fake)
[/quote

"(and it's more than the metal that says fake)" .....care to elaborate?

The metal is obvious not gold, crude modern faking looking bust, (you need experience looking at them for it to hit you) very sloppy in general, and it's cast which for lack of better words makes the detail dull, and the edge sort of round of looking. All added up points just in one direction.... modern fake. No doubt a match will be posted if someone takes the time to look.

Thanks Iron Patch. I am not sure about the "cast" part, notice the "denting" around the edges. My experience with cast is that it cracks and breaks but is not typically soft enough to dent. I'm no expert and I appreciate the info and your right...regardless of anything else it was quite a rush.

I looked again at the one I posted and it's not a match but I'm sure there are more of yours out there!

Yeah it sucks, but I still get a kick out of finding stuff like that to get me going, because even when something is the real deal a lot of my joy was getting the quick few second high. :thumbsup:

Real or fake...as far as I'm concerned I just justified the expense of the Spectra V3i because of what it COULD have been! It's like fishing to me...when the tip of the rod twitches even a little bit it could be a minnow or the biggest bass you have or will ever catch...you don't know until you reel it in or dig it up!! The thrill of the hunt!

Its very like fishing. You need to catch lots of small ones until the surprise biggie :icon_thumright:
Better luck next time, but its still a start to the collection.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Amazing find in that how many people have found both parts of a broken coin? Pretty darn good careful hunting: it's just bound to get you talked about here.

hammong

Aug 29, 2009
LostFinder said:
I dug these two pieces of this coin or memorial piece from my backyard with a date of 1797 and would appreciate it if anyone can help with possibilities towards ID, They were app. 2ft apart. I just purchased my (Spectra V3i) and was getting to know it when I dug these pieces. I dug the first piece and rinsed it off and was curious so while it was soaking in warm water I went back out and found the rest of it. this is my first attempt at posting pics and would appreciate feedback on them as well.

Cast replica, probably pot metal with a gold colored plating from the looks of it. A real gold 8 Escudos would never have "broken" in half like that, due to the malleability of the gold metal itself. A good find though!

The V3 would show that sucker as a high 80s VDI if it were silver, probably mid-40s to 50s if it were gold (and looked gold, felt like gold, smelled like gold. ;D )

Greg

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one just like this about a month ago, it was made of a metal that was like the metal they use on toy cap guns and it was flaking away. It was trash, so that is where it went. =)

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
goldcoastwayne said:
Your shield side of coin is an apparent copy in the style of an 8 escudo, Spain.

It is quite likely a facsimile....unless you are holding gold. I really don't think gold is that brittle, as to break in two. Never the less, it is a nice keepsake.

goldcoastwayne

I tend to agree with you, unfortunately. I could be wrong but I don't think gold or silver would come apart like that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread