Hunted for an hour this morning (Service Update)

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• 3_8_06_a.jpg
    3_8_06_a.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 317
Upvote 0

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Hunted for an hour this morning...

Those coils are always having problems.....Knock on wood ! I have never had one.....good luck with the coil and your finding more stuff........Nice job :o Seeker

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky

holy cow batman :'( don,t tell me that. my dfx is a bit over a month old. i did look it over when i first got it. and i was thinking how cheaply made the coil was then the old xlt coil that i still got. maybe i should have went with the mxt :-\

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Glad you got out Beep,congrat's on your find's,especially the "neckerchief".Hope you can solve the problem with the coil,that suck's...HH!!

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Basically, the machine acted like there was no coil. It wouldn't ground balance...just gave you that musical tone and said "couldn't balance, using preset values", or whatever. Running the coil over a target gave no response in discriminate or non-motion mode. I checked and re-checked the cable connection, unplugged and re-plugged it, made sure the pin-outs and pins were straight and not messed up. I think some water got into the coil or cable somehow, or an internal wire broke. BTW - the machine is only a couple of months old.

HH!
TBGO

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.

BEEP, Try Re Booting Your Detector. I Had The Same Problem With My DFX And That Cleared It. trk5capt...

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

Beep,

nice finds. That Boy Scout slide was black.

Hope you get your problems worked out.

have a good un..........

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks trk5capt, I tried that (having the machine on, removing the battery for a minute, putting it back in, turnng it on). It didn't work. I'm going to check it out again tonight and will reboot again...hopefully it will work. One thing I learned: Always bring an extra coil and/or a backup machine!

HH!
TBGO

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky

beeb, i hope you get the problem worked out. i got the 8 in coil two. im still trying to learn the dfx. good luck :)

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You have done well for an hour hunt. Thanks for posting. Burdie

Smartin

Feb 4, 2006
Kingston, Tennessee

Beep,
Where you hunting? everything looks very corroded, like very acidic soil.I was in all phases of the scouts (cubs, webloes, boy scouts, & explorer scouts, & no black kerchief ties !)

Good luck with the coil.

Smartin

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Smartin -> I'm in Houston and have been hunting mostly sports fields. The fields have a DC Phase of about -86. It is possible that the fertilizer they may be using is increasing the corrosion...everything is stained brown and zincs decay very rapidly. I've been thinking of getting a tumbler to clean the coins because of this. Most of the fields were created with fill, which throws another variable into the equation. Some fields are sandier than others. Luckily the good stuff (gold and silver) isn't affected. :)

BTW - Ran the coil through another round of tests...no luck. :P ??? :-\ :'(

HH!
TBGO

Here's the back of the slide...either it was black, or it became that color sitting in the ground...

Attachments

• slider_back.jpg
    slider_back.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 201

Smartin

Feb 4, 2006
Kingston, Tennessee

Beep,

I'd say the lime ( and fertilizer) would be the culprit.The older ties were solid brass, the newer ones are brass plated ( guess around 1980 to present ). We know what happens to plated things over time and oxidation.

Smartin

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's some good stuff for an hour TBGO!

;)

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Service Update: I talked to a White's technician and described the problem. He said to send in the coil and he'd send a replacement, no problem. That was a relief...I don't have to send the whole unit back and miss out on any detecting time.

The important thing he mentioned that might be of interest to you DFX users is that the manufacturer of the coils (they sub-contract the coils out, I guess) was manufacturing the cable/coil connector in a way that caused problems like this. It only happened for a while and it is being done properly now, but if you happen to get one of these defective coils, they will do a swap when/if it fails.

In the meantime, have an extra coil on hand in case it fails on you. I'll be using the 8" EXcelerator DD for the next couple of weeks.

It was refreshing...no bureaucaratic run-around...real people.

HH!
TBGO

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Whew! When you said "service update" I thought you meant you were planning a funeral service for your recently deceased coil. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread