Alaska Ivory/Bone Treasures

Divin

Apr 10, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well in fairness this was not found today, it was about a week ago but the location I was in did not exactly have internet access.
I was on a short trip to Alaska and I mentioned to a friend up there I did a fair amount of metal detecting and he lent me his for a couple of days, I found a lot of gum wrappers, washers, bolts, and nails but when I was digging out a couple of nails near an old abandoned cabin I found these 2.
The smaller lighter one is some kind of Ivory I believe and the other may be some kind of bone, no idea what they are although the larger darker one seems to have some kind of purpose with the large grove and slot at one end.

There are small walruses carved on the smaller light colored one as well as a long horizontal fairly precise grove that runs along each side about 1mm wide and 1mm deep.

I posted in the "what the heck is this thread" but I thought I would share it with you Today's Finds junkies as well.

HH

Tom

ska.jpg

ska1.jpg

ska2w.jpg

ska3.jpg

Upvote 0

mac762

Nov 18, 2007
I don't know what they are but they're wonderful. The walrus is cute as all get out. Maybe the groove is some sort of arrow shaft straightener?
Thank you for sharing your find. I can just imagine someone snowed in hanging around the fire making those. :)

OP
OP
D

Divin

Apr 10, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input I will take a look around that site as I try to figure out what these things are, not sure I understand the drum handle but hey its a start!

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
Those are awsome!!! the bottom piece might be mammoth ivory??? there is a lot of that up there ,I was up around the kenia pennisula in 1989-1990 and seen alot of ivory up there!!!

great finds

arthur

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not seeing any bone on the Banner...this SHOULD be up there without a doubt!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread