Low mintage

MikesDiggins

Feb 12, 2007
Goldrush Area
Detector(s) used
XLT
I went to a site last weekend that I haven't been to in three years. It's quite a long drive. One of my buddies dug a gold coin on the previous trip. This time it was my turn. As you can see by the picture I have not cleaned it, nor do I think I will. When I got home I found that it is a low mint and the detail looks like it may grade pretty good. What do you think?
Thanks for looking and HH

Mike

Attachments

• 06192010.jpg
    06192010.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 4,582
  • 06192010 a.jpg
    06192010 a.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 4,556
Upvote 0

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MikesDiggins said:
I want to thank everone for their comments, banner votes, and information. A great bunch of people here.
The other gold coin found at this site was also a $2.50 piece (1854 plain) it was found about 200 yards away. The reason we went to this area was I had done some research and found this area mentioned in a old article talking about the problem the shops were having making change for all of the gold coinage they had during the 1860's. 2 gold in 2 trips makes me a believer.
I still have not cleaned the coin, but I am showing a picture I took when I found it. In the sunlight you can see it looks more like gold than the indoor pics.
HH
Mike

Sorry for my skeptical comments earlier, I deleted them. Looks like an awesome coin to me. Great find!! :icon_thumright:

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obviously much differant in the light of day !!
Congradulations...
Get it cleaned up, gets some fresh new pics and replace the banner pics with the
good ones.
I think I would fall over if I ever dug an American Gold Coin.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find brother!!

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, I hope someday to find some old U.S. gold

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find. Enjoy it no matter what you do with it. Great find :notworthy:
TnMtns

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
MikesDiggins said:
I want to thank everone for their comments, banner votes, and information. A great bunch of people here.
The other gold coin found at this site was also a $2.50 piece (1854 plain) it was found about 200 yards away. The reason we went to this area was I had done some research and found this area mentioned in a old article talking about the problem the shops were having making change for all of the gold coinage they had during the 1860's. 2 gold in 2 trips makes me a believer.
I still have not cleaned the coin, but I am showing a picture I took when I found it. In the sunlight you can see it looks more like gold than the indoor pics.
HH
Mike
So you're saying research works? Proof's in your pocket!

Small denomination silver coins here on the far west coast were rare even 5-10 years after Capt. James Scarborough brought news and newspapers of the Sutter's Fort find to Oregon. Even into the 1870's, silver coin was considered suspect here, and greenbacks were ALWAYS discounted. Gold coins, dust and nuggets were so frequently used in place of small denomination coinage that most stores had scales for doing business with, and many business owners could estimate gold purity with a glance.

Glad you're keeping the coin as is. In a protective thick plastic case, I hope. Cleaning can always be done later. Accidental scratches last forever. And you do want this one to last.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Statistics have shown that small denomination gold coins are rarer finds out here than there larger brothers,I am not sure why? :icon_scratch:

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
Congrats on the gold and the banner. That is a beautiful coin. :headbang:

ridgehunter58

Nov 23, 2009
Looks like a desert find, it has that kinda heat/mineralized look to it. I've seen silver with that same look come out of the deserts of the west. Like Nevada,Arizona,and New Mexico.

jrandy

Jan 13, 2010
San Angelo TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GPT 1350, Predator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chaa Chingggg !! & 7-10 grand at that . Way good find............!

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
kuger said:
Statistics have shown that small denomination gold coins are rarer finds out here than there larger brothers,I am not sure why? :icon_scratch:
Early miners were paid in the largest possible gold coins available, for ease of transportation. Many were taken back home. So if you found $174 worth of gold, you would have received 8 $20, 1 $10, and 4 $1 coins. Or something similar. Just looking at what some of the 49'ers brought back to Oregon with them suggested most of the transported gold coins were largest possible denominations.

Some of that coinage immediately when into post-hole banks, since reliable banks were still hard to find until the 1890's. (Some people claim 2009, but I think that has more to do with how much you had in Goldman-Sachs.)

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Lazy J said:
U.S. gold coins get a patina from the copper in them. Collectors look for that. Have it professionly cleaned is my recomendation. I'm guessing A.U. 55 on the grade. No flat on the tip of the nose no wear on the curl of hair down her neck. Awesome find!
T
I was thinking the exact same thing as above.... HERE are the updated prices as of this past week... prices start with Xtra Fine 1,580.00 AU50 3,220.00 AU 53 5,410.00 AU55 7,030.00

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 2 1/2 dollar was very common in Nevada :thumbsup:

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a serious coin.

I can't wait to hear what it's appraised at.

Wicked find man.

Now, back to that new detector you've been looking at online...

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TORRERO said:
I personally would like to see this after its been cleaned, because I have never seen gold
come out of the ground looking like copper with what appears to be corrosion on the bottom... (back)
King Tut's gold looked just as good after 5000 years as it did the day it was made...
So clean this and then give us an updated picture, it would be great.
[/quo

I have seen several gold coins come from arid conditions,like the south west or Nevada,and this looks just like them,we call it desert patina

De.Digger

Apr 16, 2010
Delaware
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-trac ,Bounty Hunter 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the coin and the banner! Way to go! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread