1917 & 1942-S Merc dimes from a hunted-out park!

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
1917 & 1942-S Merc dimes from a 'hunted-out' park!

Hello ~ I hope everyone had a great 4th of July!

Today my wife and I took a picnic lunch to a local park ~ after eating I went detecting while the wife laid on a blanket and read a book. I really wasn't excepting to find much at this park ~ we've really hit this park hard to last few years ~ not a lot of targets left to dig! But the first coin I dug today was a 1942-S Merc dime! Then I dug some clad and then a 1917 Merc dime! I was amazed that I dug 2 silver coins in this 'hunted-out' park!

These Merc dimes are my silver coin finds #74 & #75 for the year!

Also, I've dug 8 Merc dimes in the last week ~ 6 of the 8 are "P" mints! The other two are the "S" mint that we're use to finding here on the West coast. We don't usually find the "P" mint coins!

8^)

Attachments

• July5-2010silverCOINS.jpg
    July5-2010silverCOINS.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 527
Upvote 0

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1917 & 1942-S Merc dimes from a 'hunted-out' park!

Wow Neil......guess it doesn't really matter
who you take a lunch with....or when for that
matter......the silver just keeps happening for you.
Congrats on silvers #74 and # 75.
Gold Nuggets :hello:

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250

Great finds... Still looking for my first merc here in Oklahoma, hopefully I find it soon.

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI2500, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Would love to find some S mintmark silvers We dig a few out here where I'm at on the East Coast. Proably have only dug 8-10 S silver mintmarks so far. Get more D then S where I'm at. Grats on the silver.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congs on the merc's Plu you have found a lot of silver. I luck to get a dz pieces a year....Matt

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2

Cool beans, Neil! Guess you went over those from the right direction, or were you picking your way through a real trashy spot?

I love my new Pro Coil. Only two hunts so far, but its really impressed me with how stable it runs. I've been able to crank the sensitivity much higher than I could with the stock coil. And the reduction in weight is great too. I was totally used to the stock coil, and wasn't complaining about weight any more, but this pro coil feels light as a feather.

The only complaint about the pro coil that I can come up with is the more open design makes it more of a challenge to keep the coil in contact with the ground when the grass is 2"-3" high and still have a smooth swing.

MP

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

never hunted out with an etrac! good job!

OP
OP
oddcoins

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe

mountainplayer said:
Cool beans, Neil! Guess you went over those from the right direction, or were you picking your way through a real trashy spot?

I love my new Pro Coil. Only two hunts so far, but its really impressed me with how stable it runs. I've been able to crank the sensitivity much higher than I could with the stock coil. And the reduction in weight is great too. I was totally used to the stock coil, and wasn't complaining about weight any more, but this pro coil feels light as a feather.

The only complaint about the pro coil that I can come up with is the more open design makes it more of a challenge to keep the coil in contact with the ground when the grass is 2"-3" high and still have a smooth swing.

MP

Thanks man!

I've just been going through areas that I've hit before ~ just slowing down and listening to all the targets real closely ~ digging up some deep ones!

I've noticed that too about the PRO coil ~ you can't 'scrub' it along the grass like other coils ~ it gets hung up too much. But still, it's a great coil! It works GREAT!

8^)

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark

Congrats on 74 and 75. Even after they have been buried for all these years, those two ladies are still beautiful. This proves nothing is ever hunted out.

RONC(OR)

Aug 28, 2006
Eugene ,OR
Detector(s) used
Etrac/ X-8-X-1/ /Excalibur 2/AuqaHog ~yayer

if its there you will find it WTG :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread