Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, Spent a week end down the coast visiting my sister-in -law. Southern coast of Victoria is not a real nice place to be in winter. Southern Ocean is quite good at given up some icy windy weather so sun baking and swimming was quite out of the question. LOL

Siter-in -law told us about a disused Quarry that local fossil hunters go too . Spent staurday afternoon searching around the base of the quarry walls for fossils. It was nice to try something different. Between 4 of us we found one fossil tooth. Still the weather got the better of us so we headed to the nearest open fire place. Yes the local pub (bar) . Don,t member much else ,except the hang -over. :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: Might try this again some time. ;D ;D ;D

tinpan i have no ideas on what this fossil came from.

Attachments

• 100_0169.jpg
    100_0169.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,710
  • 100_0170.jpg
    100_0170.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,654
  • 100_0171.jpg
    100_0171.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 1,652
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a mega successful hunt to me, its on my wish list, maybe one day...

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:
Size of coin?

hi stefen the coin is a sixpence , about the same size as a Merc Dime

t.p

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sofaman36 said:
Nice megalodon tooth. :thumbsup:

thank for the id , water off this coast line are the hunting grounds of the Great white shark. Dangerous Reef where scenes from the Jaws movie was filmed is about 200 miles west of this site.

tinpan

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Meg Tooth

I just ordered a book titled 'Megalodon: Hunting the Hunter' last week. My daughter enjoys looking for fossilize shark teeth so I ordered it for her. We go locally here in NJ but we have never gone looking for Megalodon teeth but I'm sure she would get a kick out of it.

NJ

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I suggest you take a dip in that body of water where that tooth was found. ;D

Kirk

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kirk PA said:
I suggest you take a dip in that body of water where that tooth was found. ;D

Kirk

Yes Kirk About 12 species of man eating sharks in these waters. The local custom is tourists first. Always good to use Manners. :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

tinpan

Irchr

Mar 17, 2010
Texas
I have one very similar, found in Arizona, and I was told it was an ancient shark tooth. It is still sharp on the edges and yet it is petrified inside. Nice find.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one. Would love to find one of those myself someday. :thumbsup:

mickk

Jul 23, 2006
Nice tooth, not easy to find in vic, can find plenty on the banks of the Murray in places where the layers are exposed. Im trying to think what pub you were in, then I can work out the quarry! Some great pubs down there, know em all!

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mickk said:
Nice tooth, not easy to find in vic, can find plenty on the banks of the Murray in places where the layers are exposed. Im trying to think what pub you were in, then I can work out the quarry! Some great pubs down there, know em all!

Hi Mick heres another spot close to home for you. Beaumaris near Black Rock The cliffs there produce some nice fossil tram stops real close . I think my spot is bit far for you.

tinpan HH

hishergarrett

Jan 22, 2010
barnwell,sc
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATpro
I do a good bit of scuba diving for such fossils as these and I am pretty sure that the tooth is a fossilized mako tooth and a nice one at that.

mickk

Jul 23, 2006
Tinny if the wind is in the right direction and I have a bit if a cold, I can spit on the beauie cliffs! Ive had a look but not a poke around. The best way is to snorkel in at low tide. I have seen ropes tied off and leading down the 50 or so yard cliff face from time to time, never been down that way myself. If you look at it through the binos, you can see the pockets of white shells etc in the red cliff face.

The best part about beaumaris, brighton is this, and its not widely known, so dont tell everyone.

The Beauie cliffs are part man made. Pre 1960s, all the local councils would back their carts up to the cliff edge and tip all the garbage over the edge. This behaviour extended the land by about 15 metres. So an area maybe 200 metres long and 15 metres wide is all garbage from the late 1800s to mid 1960s. Be a bloody bottle paradise. If you look at the area from the sea its easy to see a swathe that doesnt look right. From land its a bit harder, but if you think hard it comes to you. Would have to be the best man made tip in melbourne, be eating a cream sponge with a spoon.

The best part of this yarn is that no one has dug there. Ive only found one mention of it onthe net and that was a slow loading once sentence in an old PDF. If it wasnt for the bluestone wall, the whole lot would have been undercut by the sea and it would be awash with bottles etc. Its overgrown by couch grass and New Zealands greatest curse upon us, the coprosma bush. I suppose it has a 2 metre cover of sand on top of the whole shebang.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions