The 60s today and a little excitement!

HobBob

Feb 18, 2006
SW Oakland County, MI
The 60's today and a little excitement!

Got out today, 2nd time this week at our local church. It sits on 26 acres, and the parsonage shows up on a plat map from the 1870's as a farm house on a 40-acre farm (and it looks like it). I've been hunting there since January as weather permitted, but up to today it had given up 43 cents in clad and lots of metal junk, including an old brass hose nozzle.
I started swinging the loop this afternoon around the base of a large tree in the backyard of the parsonage. Within an area of a few feet, I first found a pull tab, an old small rectangular padlock, and a hot rock with a small piece of glazed china (I think it might be metal ore of some kind).
Then I detected something that made my heart jump. I got multiple hits over a small area; the Bounty Hunter indicated nickels at 6 inches. I started digging, and at around 6 inches, I felt a smooth, round object, but it was LARGE - more like silver dollar size. Then I felt another round edge, then another. Now my heart was really racing! With it starting to get dark, and thinking that I had found my first cache, I pulled out the Lesche and really got serious with my digging. Man, were they stuck in there but good!!

Then I found something I had never seen before.

Apparently in the dim distant past, Pabst Blue Ribbon made beer cans about the size of a small V-8 can. When one is squished and buried, it's just the right size to fool the stuffing out of someone who is thinking silver dollars. >:(

Methinks the beer can must predate the church's purchase of the house as the church parsonage, and I think I know where the pull tab came from. ;D
HH,
Bob

Upvote 0

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Re: The 60's today and a little excitement!

HobBob said:
it's just the right size to fool the stuffing out of someone who is thinking silver dollars. >:(

lol :)
Sounds like a conspiracy ::)
Good luck + HH

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star

Beer must have a terrible side effect.. littering, I've sure found my fair share of them also.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Too funny...but look what a great day you had ! I bet you will still find some good stuff there because now you are blessed for picking up the litter off the church grounds!!!!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So you got your cardio for the day huh?!

:D Can you imagine all the exercise an md'ers heart gets?! :D

;)

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.

Please honor the can, which did all it could to bring happiness to it's previous owner. :D

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.

BOB, Maybe Next Time, Best Of Luck. trk5capt...

Attachments

• JOHNS DETECTING PICS 050.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 050.gif
    6.2 KB · Views: 199
  • JOHNS DETECTING PICS 050.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 050.gif
    6.2 KB · Views: 209

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread