Found first silver today thanks to Bergie

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hooked up with Bergie from this board for the first time today and you could not meet a nicer guy than him! He put us on a spot where i finally nailed my first Silver. A 1917 Merc dime follwed by a 1923 Merc that is AU shape and 1925 Merc to boot. Also dug ten Wheat cents from 1912 to 1935. A silver baby spoon that says 1847 on it. A very old crushed silver ring. And last but not least, my first standing on plain Buffalo nickel 1936. Bergie's the man when it comes to finding good spots! This spot we know is virgin, he found a 40's Merc just lying on top of the ground under the fallen leaves, he never even dug for it 8) He has also pulled some nice silver that there is no way anyone else missed and this spot dates back to at least the early 1800's.

We also got some relics but none of them were real spectacular finds or really old.

Thanks for my best day MDing Bergie :D

Upvote 0
N

neu

wow, sounds like you guys had a lot of fun. great finds true. i cant wait till i find some nice coins.

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
You will neu. The best finds seem to come at the darnedest times. I have a spot that I will be hunting this year like the one true spoke of. Circa 1800's park right here in my home town. I spent many hours in the library and in conversation with the old timers and finally found it. As soon as the weeds die down I'm there! I also found the spot where our town was founded, but those spots rarely produce any finds. It's cool to find any way. Just keep your ear open and find some old timers to talk to, you'd be amazed at how much you may find out. Good luck & HH! Chris

N

neu

thanks chris, good luck with that spot, sounds great. im hunting daily; hunting through books, through the library records, through conversation.. i love it.

OP
OP
True_Metal

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, i had a blast! This spot was a local hangout for people to swim for many years but was then bought and made private property and posted. I think that is the key, that it was closed off and no one went there anymore, thus no MDers. Bergie had the balls to ask the owner and was rewarded with permission to do so, and thus reaps the benefits

N

neu

awesome, ive always wanted to find an old swimming hole.. and also an experienced hunting partner that knows how to get permission and always picks good spots

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
Good partners are harder to find than Gold! There are some good spots left and from the sound of it your area may be full of them neu. I've chased so many bad leads it's rediculous. But finding that one or two good spots a year makes it all worth it. One of my favorite places is one that was hunted many times by other Mders to no avail. I just read the place differently and put a whole lot of extra work into it. It paid off. Presently I'm working on finding an old swimming hole that I went to once as a kid. It's in York county but I have'nt found any record of it at all. Sometimes quickly sometimes slowly. Any way, Good luck & HH! Chris

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
True_Metal/Rob--a great day and thanks for the kind words. Great to see that Buffalo Nickel in addition to the silver we found. Based on this site, I'd encourage everyone to talk to old timers or do research on old swimming holes that have been abandoned for a few decades. Neu--If you can't find it free in the library, I really recommend you purchase this first article listed below from the Tennessean from Aug. 10, 2002 (long link, you may have to cut and paste if you can't click on it). This should have several great sites! If you get to the point where you need to deal with any property owners to get permission, I'd be glad to provide a few more pointers, depending on your comfort level approaching people. First, I like to send a hot looking hooker to their house, get photos of them in a compromising situation, and then tell them I'd be glad not to send the photos to their wife if they don't mind me detecting the property. You'd be amazed how friendly people can be! (Kidding of course, but you do have to be creative.)
http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we..._date&p_params_date-0=date:B,E&p_text_date-0=

N

neu

thanks as always bergie.
also that hooker idea would be great to talk this pastor in to letting me hunt this old church area!!!
haha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread