Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 40mm tracer projectile. 38 qty .50 caliber bullets came out of the beach today.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2009
    Cotopaxi, Colorado
    CZ-7, F5, FX-3
    1 times

Re: Tesoro means treasure. 38 qty .50 caliber bullets came out of the beach toda

Quote Originally Posted by Ron P
    Great collection of finds. We were firing 1943 made 50 cal in the mid 1980's in germany and had it as part of our basic load. It was packed in ether as a preservative. Excellent reliability.
    I still find good buys on original WWII & Korea era linked .50 ammo in their airtight cans and when opened....sniffffffffff....yes Ron....it still smells the same as 31 years ago if the can had a good seal.
    Solvents are used in production of extruded Nitro Cellulose based powders as as a wash agent. These solvents give off an oder that might smell like ether after a while, but its not. I buy bulk powder in #150lb containers and they give off this same oder. Using a low flash point flammable gas as an ammo can preservative would be like washing down the floor of a fireworks factory with gasoline.

Deese- Your finds remind me of when I live on Okinawa in 1959-1962 as a 10-12 year old. Every day I would comb the beach after the tide went out and could easily fill a five gallon bucket with .30 & .50 projectiles. It drove our parents crazy with the stuff we would bring home...and usually resulted in a visit from the Base EOD when we found something bigger. Nice finds....

us
    Oct 2008
    Mebane,NC
    GBSE 2.9, Xterra 705,Fisher F70,Ceia Mil-D1,Nexus Coronado,Whites AF-108,Tesoro Cutlass uMax,all for sale or trade.
    1 times

Re: Tesoro means treasure. 38 qty .50 caliber bullets came out of the beach today.

I went back today and found a 40mm tracer projectile. Scared me a little.

us
    Oct 2008
    Mebane,NC
    GBSE 2.9, Xterra 705,Fisher F70,Ceia Mil-D1,Nexus Coronado,Whites AF-108,Tesoro Cutlass uMax,all for sale or trade.
    1 times

Re: 40mm tracer projectile. 38 qty .50 caliber bullets came out of the beach today.

here are some pics after cleaning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3253.JPG 
Views:	1036 
Size:	473.3 KB 
ID:	435702   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3254.JPG 
Views:	1369 
Size:	451.8 KB 
ID:	435703   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3251.JPG 
Views:	1210 
Size:	464.8 KB 
ID:	435704   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3252.JPG 
Views:	1025 
Size:	469.5 KB 
ID:	435705  

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    745 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: 40mm tracer projectile. 38 qty .50 caliber bullets came out of the beach today.

humm 40 mm were normally rapid fire anti aircraft type rounds used onboard ships as their anti aircraft guns -- bofors 40 mm gun twins (2) or (4) quad mounts

-- towed targets -- pulled by a plane on a long wire lead were shot at for "practice"--- your shells were from ships offshore shooting shoreward at those towed targets---- the tracers were every 5th round to adjust your fire with visually

de
    Jun 2010
    Germania Secunda
    XP Gmaxx II
    747 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (5)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Thats a lot of them... i dig only about 10-20 each hunt on a battlefield wich was strafed very much...and very much tracers. I think thats because of these are used for practice training. Take care if You find some silver tipped ones. These are phosphoric ones.... I hope that this ones are NOT used for training-but who knows...
    The shrapnel is from driving bands of the 40mm. They are copper? Compare the shrapnel with the band on the 40mm, looks to me the same size.

de
    Jun 2010
    Germania Secunda
    XP Gmaxx II
    747 times
    Banner Finds (5)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: Tesoro means treasure. 38 qty .50 caliber bullets came out of the beach today.

Quote Originally Posted by Deese
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan salis
    bomb practice * as well as strafing -- delayed fuses ---- exploding bombs means shrapnel
    Thanks! we had figured that the shrapnel was from some sort of impact detonation shell or timed fuse but what we want to know what particular round left these remnants, and have scoured google trying to find something that looks similar before it was blown to smitherines, because we know exactly how it looks after! haha we have a whole pile of it. The shards are all relatively the same size and broke off in basically the same geometry. Apparently there were indentions in the outer layer of whatever the shell was, and the explosion unseamed fragments at each of the grooves. The pieces all have a common width of about 3/4 inch and a variable width of .5 to 2 centimeters, depending on which fault the separation occurred at. The thickness of these pieces of copper are roughly 3 millimeters. Can anyone find an example of a shell or rifle round that maye have these thatches on the side? I am really interested in finding out what they were! thanks!!!
    I made a pic for You. You see a 30mm AA projectile (training/no explosives only tracer) wich uses the same kind of driving band. The bigger the grenade the bigger the driving band as You see on the pic....the fragment on the rigth is from a VERY big one. The width of a driving band on a 155mm Long Tom grenade is one third of this...

Name:	CIMG1749_1024_768.JPG 
Views:	1036 
Size:	237.9 KB 
ID:	435753  

de
    Jun 2010
    Germania Secunda
    XP Gmaxx II
    747 times
    Banner Finds (5)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Another one with the colour markings on cal. .50. Black is Armor Piercing, blue is incendiary, red tracer, silver (aluminum) tip armor piercing/incendiary. The aluminum tip is a fuze! Dont try to open these! You can crack the black tip open to get the armor piercing steel inner bullet out. Sorry that most of Yours are in bad shape, they look good on display!

Name:	CIMG1750_1024_768.JPG 
Views:	1008 
Size:	243.1 KB 
ID:	435758   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1709_1024_768.JPG 
Views:	1018 
Size:	236.1 KB 
ID:	435759  

us
    Oct 2008
    Mebane,NC
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Westfront
    Another one with the colour markings on cal. .50. Black is Armor Piercing, blue is incendiary, red tracer, silver (aluminum) tip armor piercing/incendiary. The aluminum tip is a fuze! Dont try to open these! You can crack the black tip open to get the armor piercing steel inner bullet out. Sorry that most of Yours are in bad shape, they look good on display!
    They have been in the ocean for 70 years,I cant believe how good they have held up.I havent looked for colors,I dont think any of the ones I found come apart but I will double check.

us
    Sep 2008
    Tacoma Washington

very cool finds !!

You can teel the year and location of manufacture of the casings on the .50 cal the one you show was mad in 1943 at the Salt Lake ammunition depot. The projectile with the silver/white tip is an incindiery (SP) round...it has a pellet in the tip the "Blows Up" if you looked at some of the gun camera footage when a round hit a plane it flashed when it hit...tracer round tip were usually orange and represented every 5th round.. it assisted the pilot/gunner into walking the projectiles into the target.

Did you find any links??

All the best...
    Christian K Thomas

"The borders of our nation are defined by the graves of our fallen soldiers buried on foreign soil"  Gen G.S. Patton

Mar 2010
    Dutch Caribbean
    1058 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (4)

Very cool digs You must be on the fringe of a target range? Gonna put my skirt on and say be very careful!! Unexploded ordance (UXOs) can be dangerous. I only spent 23 years in the U.S. Army and up until a year ago I handled an explosive detection K-9 (ergo my user name). I now have a safer gig running a narc dog. The older the round the more unstable it is.

us
    Oct 2008
    Mebane,NC
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by tnt-k9
    Very cool digs You must be on the fringe of a target range? Gonna put my skirt on and say be very careful!! Unexploded ordance (UXOs) can be dangerous. I only spent 23 years in the U.S. Army and up until a year ago I handled an explosive detection K-9 (ergo my user name). I now have a safer gig running a narc dog. The older the round the more unstable it is. Where can I get a retired k9 that sniffs out money?

us
    May 2010
    Danville Va.
    MXT PRO M6 Ace 250
    29 times

WOW! These finds rate pretty high on my kewl beans factor scale!!!! All this in a 10x10 area? Wonder if the whole beach is like this?
    "Friends will help you tear it up,,,true friends will help you fix it." Skelly607

"It starts with the imagination but ends with the pocketbook" Skelly607

us
    Oct 2008
    Mebane,NC
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Skelly607
    WOW! These finds rate pretty high on my kewl beans factor scale!!!! All this in a 10x10 area? Wonder if the whole beach is like this?
    I'm trying to figure out how far it goes but keep digging bullets .Going back this weekend and dig some more.

us
    Jun 2009
    Long Island E-end
    Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
    64 times
    Banner Finds (2)

Nice bullets those .50 cal,s do some evil damage ,over in the Nam 1968 we had 1 quad .50 in our company we used nothing less then armor penetrating rounds with explosive casing,s that quad blew a Russian made tank into tiny little pieces i love firing that gun it gave you a full sense of power .Dd60

Name:	destruction.jpg 
Views:	671 
Size:	151.9 KB 
ID:	436457  
    If Mother Earth give,s us precious metals like gold silver copper and iron why leave them in the ground to disappear forever , dig them out and save History !!

4-12-2011 Retired from the Rat Race by Choice

us
    Sep 2008
    Tacoma Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Deepdiger60
    Nice bullets those .50 cal,s do some evil damage ,over in the Nam 1968 we had 1 quad .50 in our company we used nothing less then armor penetrating rounds with explosive casing,s that quad blew a Russian made tank into tiny little pieces i love firing that gun it gave you a full sense of power .Dd60
    Well first of all Dd60...welcome back...and Thank you for your service.

Second...WOW what a piece of machinery....I bet it was difficult keeping that hungry thing fed...

Regarding the finds though I am curious why no links and casings?
    Christian K Thomas

"The borders of our nation are defined by the graves of our fallen soldiers buried on foreign soil"  Gen G.S. Patton

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors