Weekend Hunts - Gold Ring, Tootsie Toy, and some Wheats

black651

May 6, 2009
Saint Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites Coinmaster, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I managed to have an entire two days without rain on my weekend off. Splendid weather and I went to the spot I have been itching to get back to for ages.

It was slow going for the first day, and the humidity was killer. Dug some wheats - 1958, 1949, 1942 and then a 1911. Scared up a 1946 nickel after that. Used to be that I was having a killer day if I brought home ONE wheat penny!! Now I'm bringing home three or four a trip! Loving the new detector! :icon_thumright: Next popped up a "COTY" lipstick case and a decorative metal wreath. Some odds and ends - American Eagle shotgun shell ("No. 12") - but as I was getting ready to leave I ran my detector along a rock wall, hit a signal and dug up the small fire truck. I think it's made by "Tootsietoy" as it has the "T" with wings on either side of it. Looked up on an online auction site and saw one for sale that was described as "1936 Midget Fire Truck". Not sure if that's what it is but I'll go with that description for now. Even has some red paint in some spots.

I decided to take it easy and sleep in on Sunday. Got the itch to swing the detector and went over to a local park - managed to find a men's wedding band marked 14K. Always nice to bring home some gold and it made for a pleasant detecting weekend.

Hope everyone's weekend went okay - thanks for reading!

Attachments

• july 31 - Aug 1 group tnet post.jpg
    july 31 - Aug 1 group tnet post.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 522
  • vintage toy fire truck - A.jpg
    vintage toy fire truck - A.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 529
  • aug 1 gold ring dig.jpg
    aug 1 gold ring dig.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 497
  • aug 1 gold ring mark.jpg
    aug 1 gold ring mark.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 518
Upvote 0

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you had a great weekend. Congrats on the gold too.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Im torn between the toy and the gold, Thats a very cool old toy in great shape. :icon_thumleft:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking finds black651 :icon_thumright: I wonder what the CFD on the fire truck . . . obviously _? Fire Department. That decorative metal wreath is really interesting too, possibly dresser or door hardware? :icon_scratch: See, deciding to go detecting even when you don't feel like it says off with gold! :notworthy:

ES66

Oct 3, 2008
Eagan, MN
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Nice finds!! Congratulations!! I've dug up a lot of tootsie toys, but I've never seen that one before. Great find...

OP
OP
black651

black651

May 6, 2009
Saint Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites Coinmaster, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This fire truck was part of a boxed set, manufactured from 1936-41. I'm trying to find out how early this particular piece was made and hoped to see if there was a date that the company switched from the "T" with wings logo to the printed "Tootsietoy" stamp. No luck so far.
249_1.jpg

Last day off before I go back to work and the forecast calls for rain - 50% chance. I'm thinking of staying close to home with some hunting today. Heck - since all of these finds were found within a few blocks of my house I think I might do okay. LOL! Even if it does rain I can do some research and plan my next spot. No day is wasted.

Thanks for all the comments! Much appreciated!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
black651 said:
This fire truck was part of a boxed set, manufactured from 1936-41. I'm trying to find out how early this particular piece was made and hoped to see if there was a date that the company switched from the "T" with wings logo to the printed "Tootsietoy" stamp. No luck so far.

Last day off before I go back to work and the forecast calls for rain - 50% chance. I'm thinking of staying close to home with some hunting today. Heck - since all of these finds were found within a few blocks of my house I think I might do okay. LOL! Even if it does rain I can do some research and plan my next spot. No day is wasted.

Thanks for all the comments! Much appreciated!
Thanks very much for the detailed information and for the picture :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread