Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So yesterday I went back to the 1780's house where I have made many discoveries over the past few years. I've pulled large cents, IH's, seated and spanish silver out of this site, including much more.

I was going over an area in the front lawn where I'm pretty sure I've covered before, and I got a penny-type signal on my XLT. I dug and at 4 or so inches was suprised to see a silver glimmer. I pulled it out gently, and noticed it was an old button. I went inside to clean it off and show the owner...I knew it was something pretty rare!! At this point I'm shaking...rescanned the hole and received another similar signal. Thought holy crap another one!! I had it pinpointed and carefully dug around the signal as to not damage it. I got it out of the plug and to my amazement i see a huge clump of these buttons next to the hole!!!

There ended up being a total of SIXTEEN of these buttons. Most were attached by a string, like someone carried them around as replacements. This string fell apart upon cleaning. I've lightly brushed these whith soap and water, and about 6 or 7 seem to be in beautiful condition. The others have some green corossion. They are all identical, shank is still on each one.

They read: REGIMENT OF INFANTRY around the edge. 21 Rt. underneath the eagle.
Back reads: GILES RICHARDS BOSTON with a small eagle.

Based on my research, these are definitely from the war of 1812, and this regiment was involved in my area (Lake Champlain).

Talk about the find of a lifetime....any info on rartiy/history/value would be much appreciated!!

Attachments

• 100_1397.JPG
    100_1397.JPG
    208.8 KB · Views: 4,677
  • 100_1427.JPG
    100_1427.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 4,624
  • 100_1429.JPG
    100_1429.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 4,605
  • 100_1430.JPG
    100_1430.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 4,441
  • 100_1432.JPG
    100_1432.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 4,427
  • 100_1431.JPG
    100_1431.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 4,319
Upvote 12

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
CRUSADER said:
Marc said:
Amazingly similar to an earlier banner find.... :o

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,264893.html

thanks Marc, that was the one I was thinking about :icon_thumright:

Definitely banner material. I was surprised the above mentioned post was not mentioned sooner.

I have never seen any other types of strung military buttons dug, yet there are two other finds referenced in this post. I wonder if these are examples of button shipments that never made it to their destinations. If so, I wonder what the relationship is. Two were found in the southern states, and now one in New England. Why not other era buttons? Is anyone aware of strung buttons from other eras?

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Explorer / Sovereign / Sidewinder
Absof------lutely awesome find! You already have my banner vote. All I can say at this point is "wow".

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the guy who found the other string is in my hunt club (Anthony) and it was a very impressive find....

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
CRUSADER said:
Marc said:
Amazingly similar to an earlier banner find.... :o

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,264893.html

thanks Marc, that was the one I was thinking about :icon_thumright:

Definitely banner material. I was surprised the above mentioned post was not mentioned sooner.

I have never seen any other types of strung military buttons dug, yet there are two other finds referenced in this post. I wonder if these are examples of button shipments that never made it to their destinations. If so, I wonder what the relationship is. Two were found in the southern states, and now one in New England. Why not other era buttons? Is anyone aware of strung buttons from other eras?

That is a very good question to ask. It well might be that one is More likely to find 1812 buttons in a "cache" than other eras due to how they were packaged, shipped, or sent to their recipients. I would imagine that some button collectors might be curious as to how buttons were distributed and who might've been the person charged with distributing them to the individual members of a regiment. Finds like these might help us answer such questions.

This is a no-brainer Banner Find. And of course, my nomination is sent. :headbang:

Great job cleaning the buttons--and congratulations in advance on your spot on the Finds Banner. :)

Regards,

Buckleboy

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolute fantastic find :headbang: those buttons are in exceptional shape save that string as part of the find ,mount those buttons in a wall display who cares what they are worth its History to show and keep .Grasshopper are you from the Virginia area also ? same as the 2009 find area .I vote Banner!!! a no brainier Great find :thumbsup: Dd60

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why hasn't this made banner yet? :dontknow:

Pull_tab_mike

Nov 20, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Whites CoinMaster
WoW DuDe ThAt Is SwEeT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ThErE sO cLeAn AnD sHiNy..................... I VoTe B.A.N.N.E.R :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still can't get over the condition of these!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detecting rocks!!! BANNER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Concerning the fact that these were found strung on cord or twine (likely hemp) ,
I think it's highly likely that the purveyors of the buttons (the sellers not the manufacturers )
would have filled the order and sent them out on the cord , and wrapped in a package of
leather or linen or burlap or some other textile (perhaps paper). Argentium.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what a find of a lifetime...only could imagine finding something like that....

See this yesterday quickly and not on the banner yet?? well see if this one helps...my VOTE for BANNER is in!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All's I can say is BANNER all the way!!!!!!!!!! Great Save's :icon_thumright:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Please do the rest of the metal detecting world a favor and write a good story about the hunt, and get it published. I had a dream one about finding a cache of buttons like that. :D

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
AMAAAAAAZING !!!
Looks like they are gonna clean up Nice !!
imagine they are 'new' replacement extras for Uniform,
as so, pristine. awesome find & My Banner vote!

Aquila

Jun 9, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 150, Golden mask 3
Nice buttons :icon_thumleft:. I dont know nothing of 1812 war but these are very beautiful indeed. I vote for banner!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread