Found this today...well sort of.

crankyolman22

Nov 20, 2008
Des Moines, Wa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, pro pointer, F-point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am getting ready to move again and while packing came across this. Technically I found it 30 or so years ago but haven't seen it in years so I figured this would count as a today's find.
Now for the long story I have been wanting to tell you guys since I discovered treasurenet.
I grew up in rural Oklahoma at the northern edge of Seminole County. Growing up we hunted and fished a lot along the river bank of the North Canadian river. One day I was hunting, and by hunting I mean taking a nice long walk but rarely actually shooting anything. My normal hunting route took me along the edge of a tall cliff along the river. I dropped down to the river bank and past some shallow caves in the cliff face. Normally I would walk along the top of the cliff but this time was different. I walked past some sandstone boulders roughly the size of a small house and at a huge oak tree followed a path up and out of the riverbank. At the tree there was a small patch of disturbed ground like a micro landslide and sitting on top was a very dirty rock that looked to me like a spear point but I actually didn't believe it was. I picked up the rock, put it in my back pocket and kept on hunting.
When I got home I washed it off and discovered that it was a flint knife about 6 1/2 inches long. Although my brothers and sister and friends were quite good at finding arrow heads, I had never before nor since found a projectile point of any kind. My friend who is an avid projectile point hunter has always been jealous of this find because he has never found a whole knife.
I haven't been back there in 20 years and quite frankly don't ever plan on going back. My friend the projectile point hunter has never searched there either, even though I did tell him where it was found. So if anybody is ever in the area It might be worth checking out.
If you are interested here are the directions to get there. From Interstate 40 Take the mile marker 200 exit (HWY 99). Go South towards Seminole. At the first road you come to turn Left (East), Google tells me this road is now called EW 113 RD. Follow that road until you cant go forward anymore (about 4 Mi) then turn left on NE 360 RD. Follow that until you cant go any more (about 1 Mi) and turn right on EW 112 RD. follow that road until you cant go anymore and there should be a big pond on the S side of the road. From space it looks like just past the pond is what looks like a chicken farm. On the north side of the road from the pond is a creek. If you follow this creek to the river and turn right you will see the cliff. walk along the top of the cliff until it ends and you are there.
The land used to be owned by an antique farmer named Jim Bray (not sure about the spelling) who told me he was given a square mile of land for graduating high school. If you go back up the road to where Google shows a driveway and some sort of big orange thing, it seems like I remember something about a train caboose, This is where his house and another very old falling down house was. This might be a good place to metal detect. I doubt it has ever been detected. flint knife.jpg flint knife 2.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
crankyolman22

crankyolman22

Nov 20, 2008
Des Moines, Wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
allen said:
that is one beautiful flint knife !! :coffee2:
Id put it out in a display case and make
other people real jealous ! :laughing7:
Thank you. About 10 years ago I was going to make a display case for it out of some black walnut but while sawing the walnut it rode up on the table saw, which had no guard, and like an idiot I reached up and pushed down on the end. This caused the saw to kick back and drag my fingers across the blade. luckily it was 1/4 inch high so it only shredded 3 fingers instead of cutting them off. That put an end to that project and the knife got put away. I'm hopeful I will have time in the new place to make one. This time the saw WILL have a guard ;D

OP
OP
crankyolman22

crankyolman22

Nov 20, 2008
Des Moines, Wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
allen said:
i'm glad you didnt lose those fingers !!
Definetily use the guard this time and good luck.
Me too! This time I will use the guard and a push stick.

OP
OP
crankyolman22

crankyolman22

Nov 20, 2008
Des Moines, Wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The more I think about this area the more I think this could be a great opportunity for someone.
I believe Jim had owned the land since the 30's. and the old house on it may have even dated as far back as pre depression. There were also several other old houses and barns in the area. I've drawn out a map to help any perspective hunters. One shows what I remember of Jim's place pretty well and there was an old out house behind and to the side of the newer (1950's) house. Although I remember it looked very dilapidated I cant guarantee it has been out of use for more than 20 years because Jim didn't have electricity or running water. Just to the east of the old house was his garden. Just past the garden on the north side of the road was a ditch that had been used as a dump for the better part of a century. I remember finding fountain pens in this dump when I was young. I wish I had hung on to them. Also I remember another pre depression house at the southwest corner of what is now EW 112 Rd and and NS362 RD. I think someone has built a new house there but if you stand at the peak of the hill just west of NS362 on EW 112 and face south you will be looking at where the huge storm cellar used to be, about 100 feet from the road. Just to your left about 50 feet is where the house was. to the right was where the barns were. If you turn North on NS362 and go to the end of the road and turn left you will find where another old house was, it may even still be there. Not quite sure on the age but it was old. If you go west past the house you will come to a creek. Turn right at the creek and go down to the river and just to the west is where a bunch of old cars were used as an erosion stop for the river bank. I remember at least 4 of the cars were 4 door 57 Chevy's held together by a big cable.
Well that's about all. If anybody decide to go hunting there let me know what you find. I can also remember a few other things in the area that may have potential.

Attachments

• Jim Brays place 4.JPG
    Jim Brays place 4.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 263
  • Jim Brays place 2.JPG
    Jim Brays place 2.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 261

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread