Torn up sidewalk finds yields 4 firsts for me. Best day detecting ever 16 coins

luvmydfx

Mar 21, 2005
I guess Pete was right, torn up sidewalks yield some of the best coin finds ever. The horseshoe I found must have brought me good luck. My 4 firsts were indian heads, v nickels, finding a barber quarter and breaking the pre 1900 mark for coin finds which I did 3 times yesterday. Pete and I had both seen this strip of dirt, but thought that it was probably just a dirt path. I decided to go try it out yesterday and see what I could find if anything. Turns out it was a sidewalk that was there before and was tore out quite awhile back, so it looked like a dirt path. I tried to get ahold of Pete, but he went treasure hunting some junk shops around town with his wife. I did get ahold of him later, and we went back to this same spot where I found one more coin a 1897 v nickel. I guess I must of cleaned it out pretty good, because we did not find anymore coins. I did dig several of the barber dimes 10 to 12 inches down. There was nothing showing on my dfx display just a faint high tone. I did also dig alot of old rusty nails that were high tones and a bunch of trash. I think it was worth all of the trash I dug for all of these coins however, and am going to keep an eye open for more sidewalk construction. Most of the coins were only 3.5 inches down, and believe it or not the 1916 mercury dime was right on top. I picked up a handful of dirt off of the surface, and it was in that handful. Anyways it was a total blast finding all of these coins, and I hope that you guys enjoy the pics. It was truly the best detecting day that I have ever had. I have included a picture of Pete in the dirt path per his request. Happy hunting everyone!!

Loren Farrar

Attachments

• toreupsidewalk.JPG
    toreupsidewalk.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 712
  • horseshoe.JPG
    horseshoe.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 693
  • Barbersfront.JPG
    Barbersfront.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 706
  • Barbersrear.JPG
    Barbersrear.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 687
  • vnickels.JPG
    vnickels.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 681
  • Indianheads&wheats.JPG
    Indianheads&wheats.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 675
Upvote 0

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
another nice haul of silver :o from t-net people. i got to get out with my detector after i get my hands off the chainsaw :( nice coins :)

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
great stuff! pete always says to check them sidewalks! you just proved him right!......again!! way to go!!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Torn up sidewalk finds yields 4 firsts for me. Best day detecting ever 16 c

Dang, congrats on all that silver and old, great hunt! HH, Mike

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Loren,
It looks like Pete trained you in right. Those are some very impressive finds. I'm sort of waiting for the construction to start around here too. I could tell that was a picture of Pete. He always has a smile like that when he finds a tore out sidewalk. Hope you guys find more there.
HH

BK

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Most impressive finds! Im just south of you in Pocatello, Idaho & have yet to find even a wheatie, so this gives me hope. The oldest coin Ive found is a 1960 nickel, I guess I'll keep looking. Renting a big air hammer tomorrow & ripping up the sidewalk! WOOHOO! lol Congrats on the great finds & keep em coming! ;D

Z

ZumbroKid

bk said:
Hi Loren,
It looks like Pete trained you in right. Those are some very impressive finds. I'm sort of waiting for the construction to start around here too. I could tell that was a picture of Pete. He always has a smile like that when he finds a tore out sidewalk. Hope you guys find more there.
HH

BK
No the smile is due to how i'm holding my detector, look closer. ;)

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome finds!!!
I'm always looking for a torn-up sidewalk. They almost always seem to produce
some great coins!!

HH!

Joe

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH YEAH!!! 8) See my avatar... Silver Sidewalks! Woohoo! Nice silver you got there!
Excellent finds! ;)

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont

I would say you had a great day!!! Never found that much silver in one day ever. Congrats...Lance

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go guy, I always look for the sidewalks being torn up, that is a free pass to some excellent finds as you just found out!!! Nice going and keep us posted on the next haul....... 8) 8) 8)

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sidewalk tearups are awesome.....especially this one. That is an amazing hunt....congratulations! :o :o

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Way to go!! Man I'm so jealous :-\ :-\ Very nice digs.....that's alot of silver in one day.

Happy Hunting,
Moon

P.S. Soak those "V" nickels in the vinegar and salt solution.....it shined mine beautifully!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions