Treasure comes in many forms: Treasure is where you find it...

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes I have to take a step back and realize how much bigger the world is... With an "Explorer SE", I have found myself looking, hoping, and expecting my "magic waving stick" to do all the work.

The day after a local flea market, with a 5" coil, I went to the grounds to see what I might find after the buyers and sellers came and went. In a grassy area, one I'd been over a dozen times, I got a hit. It was unusually deep, between 6"and 8", but the digging in the black clay soil and grass roots rewarded me with an 1894 Barber Quarter...I love seeing the satin gleem of a real silver coin!! It had to be on its edge in the ground, or I would have gouged and scarred it with my recovery tool, being that deep. First one for me!!

As I passed one of many flea market garbage cans, sitting next to one was a cardboard box that had two large central air filters still sealed in their packing. As I looked passed them, I saw a white purse with the handle off one end. The metal tag said "Prada"...and when I saw the lining inside the purse was suede, out of just plain curiosity, I unzipped all the inside pockets...at first, I found something hard and slick: the metal loop for the broken handle end. There was a vertical zipper on the outside, one on each end of the purse. I used my index finger to run down the inside pocket seams. Then, like it was slipping on a glove, a ring slid around the tip end. I was astonished. It was a girl's 10kt gold 1967 school ring.... 3.2 grams

In the picture, it shows two small wire bracelets stamped .925, and a pair of gold tone earrings, that are gold over .925 silver. I found those at the following Friday's garage sale for a total of $1.25. Their silver content is worth over $8.00...

One found with my detector, one found while holding my detector, and two more found without my detector at all.....

"Treasure is where you find it." So, keep your eyes open as you are detecting, finding gold AND silver in the first half of the day does happen, and remember you can find treasure even without your detector....

Good luck this week,
Bill

Attachments

• Copy of P1010030.JPG
    Copy of P1010030.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 953
  • Copy of P1010030.JPG
    Copy of P1010030.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 960
Upvote 0

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like treasure to me!!!!! nice score!!! MR TUFF

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:help:I'm wondering what you fellows are doing with the silver coins that are not that collectible or worth much except for their silver content?

In the two things I found in this thread, I'm a bit confused as to keeping them for "trophies", or selling them to use the money on this hobby and other things.

What do you think about this listing farther down in this website?

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/board,308.0.html

Thanks for your opinions and insights,
Bill

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep all of my finds, which is mostly coins and a few gold rings. I thought about selling them but I just like to hold onto them for memories of when, where and how i found them. I would like to buy a new detector , and I could with some of the coins I have found but I still choose to hold onto them :dontknow:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
crazyjarhead said:
I keep all of my finds, which is mostly coins and a few gold rings. I thought about selling them but I just like to hold onto them for memories of when, where and how i found them. I would like to buy a new detector , and I could with some of the coins I have found but I still choose to hold onto them :dontknow:

Im the same way..If it coins to older coins..I would never get rid of them..Nor do i look at silver coins for there "Content"..I do plan on cashing in my clad at the end of the year..and my tiny little gold charms i found..But my Old Coins Silvers and Wheats...They're going to the grave with me :laughing9: :laughing9:

And i have noticed a HUGE difference in "Finding" a Coin and "Buying" a Coin..I bought a couple Morgan Dollars a awhile back and it was cool i looked at them for about 2 days and put them up..but the silver i find...i cant stp looking at them..hell i walk around the house with them

Cool Finds..and Your Post is exaclty right..."Treasure" is everywhere..you just gotta look

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
That's a sweet find. No dirty fingers!
Are you going to return the ring? No doubt the owner would be psyched you found it! Good luck on the return if you decide to go that way. And keep you eyes on those trash barrels!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread