Easy come, Easy Go....good funny story!

lennon631

May 3, 2010
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett ProPointer
I haven't been out in over a week, and my son brought it to my attention that we haven't. Just got him a used machine, via Tnet, and when we want to do a quick hunt we hit the school yard around the corner. Only having about an hour of daylight to work with we hit the tot lot first. After finding about a buck in clad, we went out to the baseball field. A young kid of about 10 years old came over and asked if we found anything and very politely asked if he could watch. I said sure and proceeded to explain how we do it, the basics and blah blah blah. Mind you, we have POUNDED this field many many times. The boy was very interested and amazed to watch my son pull up two pennies and said; "I would love to be able to dig up treasure like that"! He was a very polite and respectful kid, unlike some of the nags that we are all familiar with. I said to him; "would you like to dig something"? His eyes LIT up! I got a 25c reading at 5" deep and called him over. LOL, He couldn't push the shovel into the hard ground, so I gave him a head start by starting the plug. Up pops the quarter, and this kid was ecstatic! He politely hands me the quarter, I cleaned it up with my rag and handed it back to him. "You found it, you keep it" I said. He was so excited (I must say, his appearance indicated to me that he wasn't of the wealthiest family). ANYway, it was getting dark, so I told him I'll look for one more for him to dig but then we had to call it a night. I got a penny/dime read at one inch, and thought "perfect, nice and shallow so he can dig it himself. I gave him my propointer and he zeroed in. He pushed really really hard to break the surface and searched the hole with the pointer. No signal so he says, "that means its in the pile, right"? I assure him he's right and he pokes through the plug. Well, he reaches in with his little fingers and says; "it's a ring"! :laughing7: I was like "WHAT"! LOL, The kid handed it to me, and I cleaned it off. It was a sterling silver ring of a teddy bear with a moonstone in it. A deal is a deal, I told the kid I would find HIM a treasure to dig, so I handed it to him and said "kid, this is your lucky day, it takes months usually before you find a ring". You couldn't put a more excited Christmas type look on his face and he said "thank you mister, I'm going to give this to my sister, she's going to love it"! So, I made a new friend, and probably a future metal detectorest. It made my day, and I am sure his... ;D

Upvote 1

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
30 years ago in Alabama, something like it happened to me. The teenager and his father were with me, and I had had
a good day. Gave him the detector and told him whatever popped out was his. Dang, it was a 50 cent Walker.
But, a word given is a promise made.....he was one excited teen......later his dad told me that he was hoping that something
would happen to get him and his kid together.....his kid had some friends that were influencing him the wrong way. After
that, Dad bought 2 detectors....and the kid went in the right direction. (I didn't know the serious implications of what
was going on......)
Way to go on your promise kept. It sounds like that young fellow was one to EARN your word, his having good manners,
and his statement to give the ring to his sister. And you confirmed to him that he was on the right way.
Who knows what he will give to someone......and you had a positive part. :thumbsup:

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro
Great story! Made me feel good, as I'm sure it did you and the kid. Thanks! You did a nice thing and who knows you may have steered him down a better road than he may have trod before this experience. Hats off to you!!!

OP
OP
lennon631

lennon631

May 3, 2010
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Geeeeeze, thank you all so much! It was a fun experience, and happy story, but wasn't expecting so many wonderful pats on the back! Again, thank you all and am glad almost a thousand people got to read it.....thank you!
P.S. Being a comedy writer, I guess I should have robbed him of his lunch money in the end :laughing9:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If I were in control of posting banners, I would post this one in Honorable Mention.
The nice gesture you did to make this young lad's day was really good of you and I commend you on that. Nice story my friend.

Mike, Maggie and Samantha :)

kentuckycowboy2

Greenie
Jan 24, 2009
Eastern Ky
Detector(s) used
Discovery 1100 , Ace 250
Way to go , That boy will be watching for you ( his friend ) every day for years and often for half his life . Great job , Somethings little boys just never forget .
John

OP
OP
lennon631

lennon631

May 3, 2010
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
I want to thank you all again for your kind words. You're ALL the great bunch here and believe you would have ALL done the same. It turns out I did get to see my friend again yesterday, and he reported to me that his sister did in deed love the ring, so if nothing else, I believe my polite little friend was the one with the big heart. Thank you all again...Paul
P.S. As far as I'm concern, I DID get honorable mention, by each and every one of you... :icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread