Easy come, Easy Go....good funny story!

lennon631

May 3, 2010
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett ProPointer
I haven't been out in over a week, and my son brought it to my attention that we haven't. Just got him a used machine, via Tnet, and when we want to do a quick hunt we hit the school yard around the corner. Only having about an hour of daylight to work with we hit the tot lot first. After finding about a buck in clad, we went out to the baseball field. A young kid of about 10 years old came over and asked if we found anything and very politely asked if he could watch. I said sure and proceeded to explain how we do it, the basics and blah blah blah. Mind you, we have POUNDED this field many many times. The boy was very interested and amazed to watch my son pull up two pennies and said; "I would love to be able to dig up treasure like that"! He was a very polite and respectful kid, unlike some of the nags that we are all familiar with. I said to him; "would you like to dig something"? His eyes LIT up! I got a 25c reading at 5" deep and called him over. LOL, He couldn't push the shovel into the hard ground, so I gave him a head start by starting the plug. Up pops the quarter, and this kid was ecstatic! He politely hands me the quarter, I cleaned it up with my rag and handed it back to him. "You found it, you keep it" I said. He was so excited (I must say, his appearance indicated to me that he wasn't of the wealthiest family). ANYway, it was getting dark, so I told him I'll look for one more for him to dig but then we had to call it a night. I got a penny/dime read at one inch, and thought "perfect, nice and shallow so he can dig it himself. I gave him my propointer and he zeroed in. He pushed really really hard to break the surface and searched the hole with the pointer. No signal so he says, "that means its in the pile, right"? I assure him he's right and he pokes through the plug. Well, he reaches in with his little fingers and says; "it's a ring"! :laughing7: I was like "WHAT"! LOL, The kid handed it to me, and I cleaned it off. It was a sterling silver ring of a teddy bear with a moonstone in it. A deal is a deal, I told the kid I would find HIM a treasure to dig, so I handed it to him and said "kid, this is your lucky day, it takes months usually before you find a ring". You couldn't put a more excited Christmas type look on his face and he said "thank you mister, I'm going to give this to my sister, she's going to love it"! So, I made a new friend, and probably a future metal detectorest. It made my day, and I am sure his... ;D

Upvote 1

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know what going to be on his wish list for christmas, only one Item Metal detector!!! Great story!!!!

HH Chug and Red

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hands down one of the best stories I've read all year! :icon_thumleft:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome story and I know you made a friend for life!!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you did for the kid is one of the greatest acts of kindness .Now hopefully , he will grow up to be just like the man who made the memory ! :notworthy: dawg

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story. I would have done the same thing. I love to see peoples faces when they find a really good find or you find a lost ring someone lost and return it to them. Their expression is the only reward I need. Again thank you for submitting a good story about our hobby.

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome story :icon_thumleft:y! I bet you would have had a heart attack if a gold with diamond ring popped out :laughing7:

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful story, and with a moral. You gotta love it. Thanks!!!

I had a similar incident several years ago. I must admit that I had a twing of regret when the youngster dug up a seated liberty half dime. :laughing9:

But, he went home happy, (with the HD.)

Spread the JOY!!

Eagle

mnixon

Apr 2, 2010
Austin TX
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum, AT pro
hats off to ya !! I'm sure his parents would want to thank you in person .... ha ha .. good story

OP
OP
lennon631

lennon631

May 3, 2010
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett ProPointer
Thank you all for all the wonderful replies. It was a great experience and am hoping to bump into my newfound friend again...Thank you :hello:

Hardrock

May 25, 2004
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, with sunray probe,Minelab SE,Eureka Gold
Nice story and great PR for our hobby,plus you made a life long memory and friend,congrats because that is really what it is all about too. Hardrock :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :coffee2:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're alright, lennon631. Always set an example for the kids; they do pay attention.

Plug popper

Aug 23, 2010
Mo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GMH CXlll Garrett Master Hunter 10x Garrett master hunter 7x Garrett MH ADS 6 master hunter 5x
:laughing9: That's a great story. What you did was was one of the best lessons in life that can be learned." YOUR WORD." You kept yours and he learned what it was. Hats off to you :notworthy: :notworthy: :headbang:

lidigger

Sep 4, 2010
Savannah, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, White's BeachHunter 300, White's Prizm IV, White's Bullseye II Pointer (x2)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great story! Thank you for sharing.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
funny how fate will pitch you a curve ball "test" like that --- (with your kid watching you and thus seeing what kind of man dad is and how much dads word is really worth* and what behavoir to copy in the future) do keep your word to a "stranger kid" or be a "greedy jerk" in front of your kid and a scrooge to the other kid as well?

you scored a "hero" A + by your actions

GeorgiaSwinger

May 28, 2010
Georgia coast
Detector(s) used
minelab Sov. GT, minelab Excal II, Fisher CZ21, minelab Go Find 60.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
And the boy was being raised RIGHT with the politeness most young kids today lack.
OH! ..and as proud as he was to dig that ring did you catch his statement?

"thank you mister, I'm going to give this to my sister, she's going to love it"!
he'll grow up to be a mans man !!!

thanks for the story

HH
Howard

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread