Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Single shot percussion "boot pistol" from the 1850's period

:hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :headbang:

This is one of my better CW relics for our collection to be donated soon!
I still can't believe this.

I set off in the early AM hours Tuesday to see if I could dig a few Civil War relics where I have found both Union and Confederate items in the past. Have you ever had those days where you don't just feel like detecting AFTER you drove a good distance? Yeah, it started like that. It was rough around the ole house after Tennessee took a whoopen from the Gators last weekend. :laughing9: Maggie loves college football, and her team is the TN. Volunteers. :D Having went to school there and graduating with 2 degrees, she will tell you blood pumps orange in her veins. :D

So, Just on the outside of the North Carolina border into South Carolina, I drove to one of last years favorite fields. The corn that was standing had just been cut recently, so I was pretty stoked in anticipation of what the day might bring. Yawning and groggy still, I attached my gear, chose my coil to start with and sipping the remainder of the coffee from my old Coleman thermos. As I watched in awe, the neon red glow of the sun just coming up, burning the fog, and warming my face, giving me a good feeling and the pep needed to start hunting. I noticed in the corner of the field, a real nice Whitetail buck who had obviously been scoping me out for quite a while. As we stared at each other for a minute or so, he wiggled his white flag tail, put his head down, and continued grazing, as if he knew I wasn't there to harm him or fill my freezer that day. :D I pressed the power on the new GPX5000 I did a quick noise cancel and ground balance and started to rhythmically sweep the dirt, listening to the symphony of musical tones bouncing around my Grey Ghost NDT's . It wasn't long before I got my first real good solid tone, that I dug a really interesting looking roman button/attachment. I slipped it in my keepers side of my Orvis fishing vest and continued on. After digging several civilian buttons and some dropped and fired lead, I got this tone, this really, really sweet tone. I thought, "whoa, what is this?" As I carefully dug my plug from the hard red S.C clay, a strange brass object laid right at the bottom. I couldn't believe what I was looking at, or what I had thought I was looking at. I thought, " Man, that looks like a gun barrel" "Could it be"? I gently put it soft side of my finds vest and continued on gridding. It was so hard to concentrate , I couldn't stand it any more. I shut down the Etrac, and took the miniature cannon looking object out and observed it a little more closely. I thought again, "oh man, I think this is a boot pistol!!" Still, reluctant to take my clothes of and do cart wheels in my very religious farming buddies field, :laughing9: I thought, "how can I get this ID'd out here?" I thought of calling my wife Maggie, but I knew she was out of the office. One name came to mind, Quindy, Vol1226-X I called up my Tennesee buddy, and after us two "old schoolers" figured out how to send a picture off the phone, I snapped a couple, and sent them in to Quin. Of course I did it wrong, and they never got there, thank God, because if I would have donr the cartwheels I spoke of earlier, I probably wouldn't be welcome there again... EVER! :laughing9: Just kidding of course. So When I got home I sent some pics via internet to Sir Quindy, the I.D expert. It wasn't long at all when Quin called me and authenticated it was indeed a Boot Pistol! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :headbang: This is such a historic find for the American Civil War archives and enthusiast's. A pistol, from a fallen soldier, seriously? fighting for his side of the woods. The pistol would have been used as a back up fire arm. Maybe he was using it when he fell. :-\ If this doesn't send you imagination into a frenzy, nothing will. This is an artifact all of us passionate American, Military relic hunters dream about.
I'm proud to say that this and other relics like it will, be donated to a museum in the area it was found, so history can be taught, remembered accurately.

Other finds were a full, intact 1781 Carolus lll Reale!! :hello2: Last week I dug a cut version. This one is in fantastic shape. Another find was an 1808 Sheldon American large cent. Looks like the rare version from what I can see of the back!
Lead pistol and rifle rounds, buttons and a real nice American Native broad head point.

The pistol is a single shot percussion boot pistol from 1852-55 it is a Leige.

Thanks Quindy and Buckleboy for your help on the ID!

Thank you for looking
Mike Post

Attachments

• PICT0019.JPG
    PICT0019.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 4,462
  • PICT0018.JPG
    PICT0018.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 5,519
  • PICT0014.JPG
    PICT0014.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 5,455
  • PICT0023.JPG
    PICT0023.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 5,456
  • PICT0021.JPG
    PICT0021.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 5,441
  • PICT0020.JPG
    PICT0020.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 5,438
  • PICT0019.JPG
    PICT0019.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 4,605
  • PICT0018.JPG
    PICT0018.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 4,599
  • PICT0014.JPG
    PICT0014.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 4,562
  • PICT0020.JPG
    PICT0020.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 4,376
  • PICT0019.JPG
    PICT0019.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 4,323
  • PICT0019.JPG
    PICT0019.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 4,287
Upvote 4
OP
OP
Woodland Detectors

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Single shot percussion "boot pistol" from the 1830's period

:)

Attachments

• PICT0013.JPG
    PICT0013.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 5,305
  • PICT0027.JPG
    PICT0027.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 5,286
  • PICT0026.JPG
    PICT0026.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 5,313
  • PICT0014.JPG
    PICT0014.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 5,272
  • PICT0015.JPG
    PICT0015.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 5,121
  • PICT0016.JPG
    PICT0016.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 5,163
  • PICT0017.JPG
    PICT0017.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 5,201
  • Mike In AD (495x640).jpg
    Mike In AD (495x640).jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,394

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI

In the groove 4-H. Thats a nice cross-section of relics and a super nice reale. Happy huntin

Les

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow I am so envious! I hope to find a firearm at some point in my detecting life. Thanks for posting and also great job in telling the story, it was great.

Swingit

Apr 29, 2007
Southwestern, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac Sun Ray X-1, Tesoro Vaquero, Cibola, Tejon

Awesome Post :headbang: :headbang:!!
Awesome Relics :headbang: :headbang:!!
HH!!

F

Felinepeachy

WOW
MG_109.gif
What a find! All of them are nice but, WOW.
Laie_78.gif

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dang Mike :o what a find :headbang: i think that is the best post you did this year WTG and on the first day of Fall , that spanish reale is really in good shape you hit the spot for sure , i think that rare pistol should be a Banner find !!! now i have to get out and hunt after seeing all those finds :laughing7: Great hunt Dd60

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008

thats awesome!! boot pistol it is. i have about 30 toy guns but not a real one. congrats. also that indian looks like it was dropped brand new. sweet reale too. willy

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mike, you sure made some great great finds there....got me drooling here but then again it doesn' t take much when I haven't been out digging lately....living through your and other Tnetters finds! love the story behind hunt too...thanks for sharing

:icon_thumright:

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Wow, you have been showing us all how it is done Colonially. :notworthy: I am definitely loving that Spanish silver, the boot pistol is killer, and the large cent is icing on the metal detecting cake. Thanks for sharing, Mike.

Kirk

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

man what an awesome hunt, congrats

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Oh Lord Mike, I hope that's not a USC Trojan on that badge looking device or Maggie will trash it-LOL. You just keep on outdoing your last relic hunting trip. The boot pistol is Banner quality, great looking Reale, and that IH saw little wear. From what we know about your site, that little gun was fired in anger and self preservation as a last ditch effort to stay alive.
You have started the Fall NC relic hunting season off with a bang (no pun intended). When Dman and I get out there to hunt with you and Modern Miner, you and I might dig up a cannon barrel if we can keep those two away from MM's blow up doll. HH, Quindy.

I formally voted BANNER!!!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Wow! :o Those are some really amazing finds there Mike!
I wonder what might have happened to the hammer and the trigger? :icon_scratch:
Great looking find though and in incredible condition too.

I'm going to vote BANNER for this Mike. :icon_thumright:

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Awesome find Mike. Congrats on the boot pistol. I vote banner as well. Wife and I are still planning on coming your way in November. Talk to you soon.

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009

You hit pay dirt for sure. The pistol is really a nice find...one I'm sure you were glad you took the time for. And the reale is ----welllllllll, it's too detailed for words. Thank you for sharing your great finds.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool seletion of finds !

Looks like that site needs more Hunting.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:o HOLEY.....COW! What a hunt! :o Looks like you cleaned up on the keepers all day long! Wow! Many congrats to ya on such a fantastic hunt!!! :icon_pirat:

Nana :hello:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven & Spartan shovels, Grey Ghost headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DUDE!!!!!!!!!!
I should have gone with you afterall!!! You are killing out there Mikey. :icon_thumleft: Congrats on an outstanding find. :occasion14: *************BANNER**************
As far as you taking off your clothes and going crazy out in the field, I'm very glad I didn't go! :laughing9: :tongue3: ;D

-Doug-

U

umrgolf

Hey! that is awesome :headbang: :headbang: I dug a similar Belgian boot pistol this year but yours looks much better :wink: Im gonna have to vote banner here.. great Reale also :notworthy:

BANNER

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

Congrats on the boot pistol. Q really knows his stuff but don't tell him I said it. He already has he head too big after getting articles published in 4 or 5 magazines. The boot pistol should be on banner.
Dman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread