🥇 BANNER !!!WOW - Roman Site No.3 - WOW!!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We only now had 3 hours of sunlight left & we moved to a site that Land-Mag had researched & I had spotted on google earth, I remember the day I sent him to the area to field walk pottery & I got an excited call saying his pockets were over flowing. Ever since then, I couldn't wait to try it. I studied aerials again last night & walked quickly into the huge field using large trees as bearing, I stopped short of where I wanted to pick up a pot shard. That was all I needed, on with the machine, & without a lie, second sweap a Roman coin :o

We ended up with 44 Bronze Coins, 2 debased Silver. ;D
My first Roman Bell :)
Roman bronze Pin
I thought the tinned fibula (which looked silver when it popped out the ground) & large one were nice until I dug a stunning Roman enamelled Celtic Horse Rider Brooch with pin - 2nd Century AD (1900 years old) :o :o :o :o :o :o Much better than the book example :read2:

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 4,175
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 4,047
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 3,997
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 3,991
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 3,987
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 3,973
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 3,939
  • Celtic Rider.JPG
    Celtic Rider.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 3,949
Upvote 3

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, awesome finds, Cru!! :icon_thumright: That brooch is magnificent and a beautiful piece of history. Congrats on the banner and good luck on the rest of the field. :thumbsup:

HH

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on making the BANNER CRUSADER & Dad, this is long overdue as far as I'm concerned! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

What you guys dig day after day is what keeps bringing me back to this site, just to look at your "Today's Finds"! :o

Thanks for sharing Cru & Dad! :icon_thumright:
Dave

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang Crusader, you sure keep us busy looking at the banner. Way to go buddy!!!

DANGLANGLEY

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your fibula brooches are so cool. The tinned one is really cool! First one I've seen. Must be so neat to get the find that out does any example in the book. Congrat's on the find and the Banner. :icon_thumright:

mrbelvetron

Jun 15, 2004
Cleburne, TX.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
When I got on the site today and just looked at the banner pics I went, that's gotta be a Cru find and low and behold it was.

If you aren't careful they'll have to program a scrolling banner finds list for you instead of the static one under your avatar.

:notworthy:

landmagnet

Aug 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well deserved Banner :icon_thumleft:

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another superb bunch of treasure finds Crusader :headbang:
They are all amazing, but the brooch is outstanding.
As always, thanks for sharing :icon_thumleft:
Cheers, Mike

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:notworthy: 1900 years old and preserved very well. Congratulations on your finds and new site.
Do you ever take any insitu's? Are your targets very deep or below the plough? Nice Banner and treasure. Thanks for sharing your hunt.
TnMtns

Sir Digs-A-Lot

Sep 14, 2008
Orlando Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II and ACE 250
Way to go on the research and congrats on the banner. Absolutely amazing finds! That would be a dream hunt for me (probably all of us). Keep it up and good luck pulling more treasures from that site.
Cheers!

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:headbang:
All I can say is ....WoW!.....what a find.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys across the pond need to get your own TV show called mega finds!! What can I say....virgin roman site.. That is way beyond mind blowing. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DMN said:
Couldn't tell the book pic from yours. Maybe I just 'thought' the book pic was there. If it's the same as the book, that is quite interesting. That's one heckuva find no matter. Would it be considered treasure due to it's rarity?

Congrats on the banner...again! Soon there will be no space in the margin for your banner posts.
The Law is well defined on treasure & rarity is not a factor, although it would increase the price of a declared treasure item.. Basically it needs to be over 300 years old & have 10% Gold or Silver Content. I make a judgement call on rare stuff & voluntarily record them. This has been GPSed & will be kept in our records store until it's safe to share.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
landmagnet said:

Thanks to everyone for the banner votes, more importantly Land-Mag strikes again :icon_thumright:

When people have congratulated the Cru Team they have really included Land-Mag on this great site. Not only did his research (secret about what type & how) find the approx area but he gained land permission from an owner that most farmers thought would be a waste of time :notworthy: How ever good the machine without good sites its useless.

I predicted at the start of the year that if we were to improve last years totals it would be through this partnership & targetted searching. We will probably not make most of last years totals but its not been because we haven't hit the right sites, its just been the wrong roll of the dice & the unusual weather/harvest pattern. Therefore a find like this, equal in rarity to my Saxon mount is up there in my very best finds of this year :o

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMountains said:
:notworthy: 1900 years old and preserved very well. Congratulations on your finds and new site.
Do you ever take any insitu's? Are your targets very deep or below the plough? Nice Banner and treasure. Thanks for sharing your hunt.
TnMtns

I do carry a camera & take the occasional insitu shots. It was in ploughed land (which is why its an amazing survivor), only about 3" deep. The tinned brooch (my first one), was quite funny as it popped out the ground as I levered the spade & I immediately thought I have a solid silver brooch :o

Most of my success (& especially with limited time before dark) is covering the land quickly (I don't live by a go low & slow search). If I stopped to take pictures I could have dug another 2 roman coins in that time. Also when I'm on to a site like this my blood is running fast & my last thought is a picture (if I get a gold coin, I will stop for you :wink: ). 'In the pouch, on to the next...'

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW ! is right beautiful broach your find is in better shape then the book example :notworthy: Congrats on the BANNER ! great find Jim

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
CRUSADER said:
DMN said:
Couldn't tell the book pic from yours. Maybe I just 'thought' the book pic was there. If it's the same as the book, that is quite interesting. That's one heckuva find no matter. Would it be considered treasure due to it's rarity?

Congrats on the banner...again! Soon there will be no space in the margin for your banner posts.
The Law is well defined on treasure & rarity is not a factor, although it would increase the price of a declared treasure item.. Basically it needs to be over 300 years old & have 10% Gold or Silver Content. I make a judgement call on rare stuff & voluntarily record them. This has been GPSed & will be kept in our records store until it's safe to share.
I guess my curiosity about it being the same as the book's illustration is perhaps is is more like a brooch indicating a specific legion or elite guard...something like that.

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am so pleased for you that the brooch came out in 1 piece ! it's beautiful ! A Miricle !! A well deserved banner find !! MaineRelic

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CRUSADER said:
landmagnet said:

Thanks to everyone for the banner votes, more importantly Land-Mag strikes again :icon_thumright:

When people have congratulated the Cru Team they have really included Land-Mag on this great site. Not only did his research (secret about what type & how) find the approx area but he gained land permission from an owner that most farmers thought would be a waste of time :notworthy: How ever good the machine without good sites its useless.

I predicted at the start of the year that if we were to improve last years totals it would be through this partnership & targetted searching. We will probably not make most of last years totals but its not been because we haven't hit the right sites, its just been the wrong roll of the dice & the unusual weather/harvest pattern. Therefore a find like this, equal in rarity to my Saxon mount is up there in my very best finds of this year :o

I only have to get ...... hunting permits, historical research on internet books etc ... and also to hunt alone, even repair my own machines . :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread