1797-Large cent,War of 1812 Artillery Button At the club hunt & scout camp finds

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1797-Large cent,War of 1812 Artillery Button At the club hunt & scout camp finds

This has been a great day for detecting.....70 degrees sun shining all day and the finds just keep on coming....today is our club hunt at one of our old scout camps here in western NY..I was running late , had to do some work this morning so I arrived at 11:30 at the scout camp, this area is very old once an amusement park back in the 1800's there has been number of great find from newer silver coins to Spanish reals and seated coins....plus everything in between....so when I pulled my plan was to go across the street and hunt an area that the last couple of years I have found some old coins and buttons from what I think was an old pioneers house ....last 2 years found some early large cents , coppers, and nice old buttons....one of our club members Debbie B showed up about the same time I did so I asked her if she would like to go across the street and hunt the area I just discussed and she said lets go....so as we got to the site i told her about the area and we started digging....a few minutes later I found a flat button , then a musket ball at 8 inches ..the finds here are deep and suddenly I got a good signal at like 10 inches and I was right a copper coin very worn . Then Debbie got a good hit and found another mini ball ,small pistol shot. shortly after her find I found another coin at again 10 inches i could see the date just enough to make out the 797 and the 1 is very worn...on the top the Liberty is nice and clear. This is now my oldest flowing hair large cent...So that makes the day a good one so far...now with Debbie checking my next signal we decided that this could be another button and we were right but this one is special we could see the markings on it . This one was an 1812 artillery button in nice shape can see plenty of detail...now with the finds starting to come out again for the 3rd time being there we just keep swinging the coil , waiting for that next hit. After a short while this next hit was with a big surprise , Finding a button on the next hit out came a piece of rose colored glass that appears to be a glass candle stick holder...I never seen on like it...very different. This site has produced an number of old coins dating from the 1830 - 40's including a couple of hard times tokens... so now with some nice pieces form this site we made our way back to the parking lot to share the finds with the club members and see what has been found so far today...

With some of the people starting to leave for the day it was only 3:30 and I decided to head ever to my camp site where I have found a number of silver coins and scout items the past year. As I arrived I wanted to hunt an area where the scout meeting used to be held and the concrete pillars are still there but the benches are long gone...right away I started finding wheat pennies then some silver a mercury dime , more wheats and more silver...this has been a great day all around, after a couple of hours I found 6 silver dimes and a number of wheats and 2 nickles...It was time to get out of here and go home and have dinner .....Hope you enjoy this story . HH and keep on digging! Seeker

Attachments

• Scout haven old area, & camp site 4-29-2006 009 Medium Web view.jpg
    Scout haven old area, & camp site 4-29-2006 009 Medium Web view.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 686
  • Scout haven old area, & camp site 4-29-2006 006 Medium Web view.jpg
    Scout haven old area, & camp site 4-29-2006 006 Medium Web view.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 666
  • Scout haven old area, & camp site 4-29-2006 010 Medium Web view.jpg
    Scout haven old area, & camp site 4-29-2006 010 Medium Web view.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 669
Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Re: 1797-Large cent,War of 1812 Artillery Button At the club hunt & scout camp finds

Since I know you are getting ready for the Federation Meet this next weekend, do you think you could show your display cases for those of us who cant attend! And that goes for anyone else who is taking items for display! Thanks !

-MURPH-

Apr 25, 2005
DUI=digging under the influence
Detector(s) used
whites-DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1797-Large cent,War of 1812 Artillery Button At the club hunt & scout camp f

very very very very very very very very very very very very very ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D nice finds HH Murph

OP
OP
The Seeker

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1797-Large cent,War of 1812 Artillery Button At the club hunt & scout camp finds

Here Tim....these are the ones you missed! lol

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,

wow seeker, what a day indeed. excellent finds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread