SET A NEW RECORD!!!!

I am a little hesitant to share this experience because it may sound like bragging, but I feel that it may encourage others that there is still lots out there to find and not to give up.
Anyway, I beat my record for most new change dug in a one day time period. My friend and I got permission to search an outdoor rock festival site that was just built last year. It's already a few months past since the concert, and apparently 3 detectorists have already searched there.
Well, in 6 hours without digging penny signals, I dug:
17 twoonies = $34
77 loonies = $77
89 quarters = $22.25
62 dimes = $6.20
19 nickels = $0.95
GRAND TOTAL: $140.40
The fesival site was sand, which made it easy digging. I also found a ladies watch (still running) and a 14k gold earing (1 gram) and a hash pipe (gave it to my friend).
My friend was a little discouraged because it was his second time detecting and he was digging lots of junk. He thought something was wrong with the fact that he found a little over $10 and a few silver pieces of jewelry. I laughed and told him that he did better than most, including me for only the second time hunting. (my second time didn't compare to his)
My previous record for new change in one day was $89.35 and I am actually a relic hunter mostly!
Anyway, I hope this encourages at least one detectorist that there is lots out there, waiting to be found. In case my friend reads this, does anyone want to agree with me that he did pretty good for a newbie?
Thanks for reading.
Dave.

Upvote 0

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I think I had been out for 7 or 8 hunts before I found my first silver ring. If your friend got more than 1 piece of silver jewelry, that's still considered by me to be a great hunt! Good going on the record, too!

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
140.00 per day comes to just over $51,000 per year. Not bad. Makes you want to give up your day job ;) Good going, Dave.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
My best new coin day isn't close to that and I'm a carnie/fest beepin' freak. Excellent hunt! Your friend has nothing to worry about except his prolific hunting partner.

OP
OP
D
Thanks for the replies everyone.
I wish I could find that much change everyday, I could be employed by my metal detector!
I hope my buddy reads this, maybe he will believe me that he did pretty good for a rookie.
Happy hunting,
Dave.

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Way to go Dave! Bet there is more out there too. What detector were you using? I'm going to buy a new detector next year and would like some recommendations.

Have a profitable day everyone!

Moon

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow - that's really impressive! Good for you! I just have one question - what the heck are twoonies and
loonies??? Have no idea what you mean. Thanks!

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
My best record ( one day ) is a little over $2900.00 , BUT I was using a dredge. I really don't count that to be in the same league. $140 is amazing! I've had days on the beach with over 70 coins and felt tired of coinage by the time I was through. Not that I would ever turn it away! Way to go and post some pics if you get the time. Good luck and HH! Chris

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
You know how they tell you to "keep your day job". If you keep finding coins like that, you may not want to. Congrats, that is outstanding. ....Lance

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go!Beats the heck out of my $27.86.I did find a nice SS bracelet last weekend.GOOD LUCK and H.H. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread