It was the best day ever . . . uh, never mind

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
They were tearing up and replacing sidewalks close to home. The grass was already torn up, why not go for it? The kids were all over the tot lots this afternoon.

I live in a neighborhood not too far from where ole' Capt' John Smith might have traveled. I couldn't recognize the first two coins I dug, but they had strange faces and words. I didn't field clean 'em, they could be Special! Yea I know I'm a dumba*s. Oh, but it was so cool to see a date older than any coin I've dug(an anniversary), faces I didn't recognize and words I'd never seen on coins before.

I took the first pic all excited and wanting to share my incredible discovery w/treasurenet.

Pic two is reality. When I saw 183x on the coin in the center of pic 2, I KNEW I'd found one of those amazing "virgin sites" I'd read about right here in 'Today's Finds'.
Ah, well. You know, getting fooled that well isn't so bad. At least I have a story to tell. It'll be embellished later.

The first pic is straight out of my field pouch. Trash on the left, treasure on the right. The 2nd pic is after a gentle rinsing. Oh well . . .

Attachments

• rawfrombag.jpg
    rawfrombag.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 551
  • treasure1.jpg
    treasure1.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 540
Upvote 0

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. To me, anything I dig up is a thrill. 'Celtic ring money'? Did you throw that in to see if we were payin attention?

OP
OP
B

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
RGINN said:
Nice finds. To me, anything I dig up is a thrill. 'Celtic ring money'? Did you throw that in to see if we were payin attention?
What, Celtic Ring Money? Google it!

Thanks for noticing the details :wink:

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
neat finds!!!! nice lil bit o silver :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

OP
OP
B

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
chukers said:
Celtic money rings are made of bronze.... your looks iron.... sorry

http://www.calgarycoin.com/reference/articles/celticrings/celticrings.htm

Chukers
Ok, no Celtic rings on a Baltimore street corner. I did find the ferrous ring and labeled it in jest. I swear though that I found every coin and artifact pictured today, in the dirt, in one contiguous 60' long strip of ground between the curb and the sidewalk. There are 5 Peruvian coins and 2 Canadian coins in that lot. Probably a kid lost his show and tell stuff on the way to the bus. They sure gave me palpitations 30 yrs later!

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
batcap said:
chukers said:
Celtic money rings are made of bronze.... your looks iron.... sorry

http://www.calgarycoin.com/reference/articles/celticrings/celticrings.htm

Chukers
Ok, no Celtic rings on a Baltimore street corner. I did find the ferrous ring and labeled it in jest. I swear though that I found every coin and artifact pictured today, in the dirt, in one contiguous 60' long strip of ground between the curb and the sidewalk. There are 5 Peruvian coins and 2 Canadian coins in that lot. Probably a kid lost his show and tell stuff on the way to the bus. They sure gave me palpitations 30 yrs later!

its a very interesting combination of coins and I'm sure you did... and they would get my blood pumping too!

Congratz!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread