Beautiful 1788 Connecticut Copper Struck Over a Nova Constellatio Copper

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Kirk, Chris, and I got out today to a site where we hunted in late June of this year. We originally hunt the outskirts of the site then, mainly because the main homesite was still in soybean. No problem, we thought, we will head back once Mr. Lunker Farmer cuts the soybean in the Fall. :laughing9: Well, Chris and I drove by yesterday and saw that he was cutting the soybean. We high-fived, waved to the muscle-bound farmer in his combine, and headed off back home with high hopes of digging some earlies on Sunday morning.

Within the first 10 minutes of swinging, I got a high dime reading on my analog machine. I pinpointed, flipped some dirt out, and was startled by a yelp from Kirk about 10 yards away. He found something that probably could shock the forums in America! He will relate his story once he has the time. Meanwhile, after coming back from Kirk's hole, I found what was waiting for me in my dug-out hole. There she was: a beautiful, sexy 1788 Connecticut copper! :headbang: I yelped as well, hurried over to Chris, and showed him my copper. He didn't look at it, so I took it as being jealous. I walked away, and said outloud, "He doesn't even care." Chris heard what I said, looked up from what he was doing and stated, "Kyle, I'm going to punch you in the mouth one of these days. I was distracted. I was looking at my pewter button that I found at the same time you found your copper. I was looking for a regiment number or the letters USA." I overreacted at the time and understand why he was distracted. Next time, he has a free shot at my jib. :laughing9:

I ended the day with brass musket trigger guard parts, a pile of buttons, and pewter spoon bowls and handles.

My Fall season has been special to me. Last weekend I dug the pistareen and now this awesome CT copper. We have more fields we have to get into after the farmers cut the crops.

Attachments

• 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 1,133
  • 037.JPG
    037.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,125
  • 040.JPG
    040.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 1,137
  • 044.JPG
    044.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 1,138
  • 047.JPG
    047.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,136
Upvote 1

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hell I'll let you all punch ME in the mouth if you bring me out detecting :thumbsup: Awesome finds!

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Conn. is in great shape :icon_thumleft: rare find i wish the local coppers all looked like that Good hunt Jim :thumbsup:

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Kyle, you are the king of the special Connecticuts. This site has to be one of the best we've ever done. I can see the letter V near the shield on the back of the coin. Amazing.
Uncle Chris

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice one Kyle :icon_thumright:

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WOW! THAT PUPPY IS SWEET! :thumbsup:

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
congratulations on an outstanding find!

no doubt a top ten find here, there or anywhere! I think you might have a new favourite site alright!

for me, I would be going nuts waiting for the rest of that field to be harvested, I hope it doesn't keep you up at night..

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beauty there Kyle!...what else are you going to pull out of that site..can't wait

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You three have some of the most awesome sites to hunt! :icon_thumright: What a great find! :headbang: :hello2:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried to do a nice comparison photo, with sort of lining up the features of a Nova Constellatio with your Conn copper to show most of the prominent features that show on the undertype (Nova). There are features of the original coin visible on both sides of your Conn copper. For those who do not know, the people who made coppers back then would sometimes use other coins as their "blank planchets" to strike their coin on and thus sometimes the original coin will not be completely destroyed feature wise when the new die was applied to it. Sometimes a lot of the features remain and sometimes only a very small and faint feature can be seen.

This Conn copper Kyle has found is a keeper for sure and I know I sure would be happy to find something like that. I do have a NJ variety that is overstruck, but for that variety, all of them were, so not too uncommon. I am not sure about the rarity of this copper, but it is a special one for a detectorist to find for sure~!
Congrats Kyle

Don

Attachments

• ConnNovaComparisons.jpg
    ConnNovaComparisons.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 538
  • 1788M.12.2-COverstrikeNova5-E.KY.jpg
    1788M.12.2-COverstrikeNova5-E.KY.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 538

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:headbang: :hello2: :hello2:
That sure is a beautiful Connec. copper Kyle! You are finding some awesome coins my friend!
Keith

DKinPA

Aug 21, 2005
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Minelab ETrac & Tesoro Silver UMax
AWESOME!!

:notworthy:

I really think you guys should host the first annual PA TNET copper chase!! Open to all us PA boys....heck you could hold it on a "hunted out" farm up there just to see what turns up!!

Congrats again!!!

Dave

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
romeo-1 said:
So when can we expect to see Kirk's find??

Maybe we're all getting a little piece of it for Christmas.

Well, I hope he carves it up small, cause there are a lot of us standing in line for it--waiting!

Nice coppa, Kyle! That's one cool overstruck example! :hello2:

OP
OP
Kyle PA

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Thank you for all of the replies and, once again, thank you, Don, for the ID! It will always be a special find for me.

Here is a picture of the site when we hunted it in early Summer. Everything that we dug yesterday was sitting in that green soybean field at the time. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,333439.0.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread