Beautiful 1788 Connecticut Copper Struck Over a Nova Constellatio Copper

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Kirk, Chris, and I got out today to a site where we hunted in late June of this year. We originally hunt the outskirts of the site then, mainly because the main homesite was still in soybean. No problem, we thought, we will head back once Mr. Lunker Farmer cuts the soybean in the Fall. :laughing9: Well, Chris and I drove by yesterday and saw that he was cutting the soybean. We high-fived, waved to the muscle-bound farmer in his combine, and headed off back home with high hopes of digging some earlies on Sunday morning.

Within the first 10 minutes of swinging, I got a high dime reading on my analog machine. I pinpointed, flipped some dirt out, and was startled by a yelp from Kirk about 10 yards away. He found something that probably could shock the forums in America! He will relate his story once he has the time. Meanwhile, after coming back from Kirk's hole, I found what was waiting for me in my dug-out hole. There she was: a beautiful, sexy 1788 Connecticut copper! :headbang: I yelped as well, hurried over to Chris, and showed him my copper. He didn't look at it, so I took it as being jealous. I walked away, and said outloud, "He doesn't even care." Chris heard what I said, looked up from what he was doing and stated, "Kyle, I'm going to punch you in the mouth one of these days. I was distracted. I was looking at my pewter button that I found at the same time you found your copper. I was looking for a regiment number or the letters USA." I overreacted at the time and understand why he was distracted. Next time, he has a free shot at my jib. :laughing9:

I ended the day with brass musket trigger guard parts, a pile of buttons, and pewter spoon bowls and handles.

My Fall season has been special to me. Last weekend I dug the pistareen and now this awesome CT copper. We have more fields we have to get into after the farmers cut the crops.

Attachments

• 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 1,132
  • 037.JPG
    037.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,124
  • 040.JPG
    040.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 1,136
  • 044.JPG
    044.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 1,137
  • 047.JPG
    047.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,135
Upvote 1

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Beautiful 1788 Connecticut Copper and Brass Musket Trigger Guard Parts

It's a good coin regardless of variety. I've already changed my mind twice, and don't think I've come across the right one yet. (I'd like to see Miller 12.1-E)

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch I have changed my mind twice, It looks like a Miller 12.1 Obverse. Obv 12.1 "Upper fillet points downward and is distant from star."Still looking to verify, will relook later. See new reply further down.

Regardless, good going Kyle, those Conn coppers keep on popping out of the ground in good numbers in your area! Your group probably gets more per era than a CT hunter does!

Don

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds! That is one of the most detailed Connecticut coppers that I've seen posted here. Please do clean it up and post some after pics.

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is one very fine specimen of the 1788 CT COPPER! :headbang:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OK Kyle, you would think with it being a 1788 that it would be a lot easier than those numerous 1787 Coppers, but your coin has been a challenge, partially due to the slight angle of the photo taken and dirt at a key spot or two, with that said, my latest intelligent guess :D is a Miller 12.2-C variety. Fairly certain on the C Reverse, (but not at first) since the arm is pointing correctly (I hope, angle is problem there) and the date looks exact in my opinion.

The C Reverse can only match with a Obv 10 or Obv 12.2, well Obverse 10 does NOT have a star between the bust and AUCTORI so that eliminates Obv 10.. Obv 12.2, seems to match although I have trouble with saying the fillet points to star and is close to it. Seems too hard to tell, but it must be a match. (Italic statement from Whitman book).

So for now, unless someone finds another match it appears to be a Miller 12.2-C variety.

Again, very nice CT copper regardless of what it is.........

Don

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A beautiful CONN. copper is right !! :o :o In superb shape ! Of course I would like to see a cleaned up pic too !! MaineRelic

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Holy CHRIST, That's the BEST Connecticut Copper that I've seen on TreasureNet in a LONG time if not forever!!!! You SCORED BIG today man and that baby deserves some recognition! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250

Very nice Connecticut !! Still on my wish list.

VPR

OP
OP
Kyle PA

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Here is another picture of my copper.

Attachments

• 036.JPG
    036.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,015

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A lot of Conn coppers are overstruck on another planchet, your coin looks like that, still working on it.

Don

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AWESOME Ct. Kyle! Congrats......................Hogge :notworthy:

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds

That is one sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet Conn Copper, nice find Kyle :icon_thumleft:

Bubba65

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Way to go Kyle on an AWESOME copper. Chris was over doing the Fred Flinstone huh? Rakem Frakem
:laughing9: Hey, every dawg has his day right? And you are on a heck of a streak, not to mention your having a blast doing it! Good post and story buddy.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kyle, here is some info from an old issue of "The Colonial Newsletter" concerning your M12.2-C.
Super find!!

Don

Attachments

• KYConnoverNovaInfo.jpg
    KYConnoverNovaInfo.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 899
OP
OP
Kyle PA

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Don in SJ said:
Kyle, here is some info from an old issue of "The Colonial Newsletter" concerning your M12.2-C.
Super find!!

Don

Don, I'm ecstatic about my CT copper being overstruck over a Nova Constellatio! I'm very interested in knowing more about it once the information is known.

Thank you for the behind-the-scene work you've been doing on ID'ing it for me!

Kyle

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Pretty Connecticut Kyle! Careful cleaning though.....looks to one with a flaky patina.

kyphote

Jan 12, 2010
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely FANTASTIC!! And thanks for the pics and story. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread