the slump continues

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
went out this morning to three differnt sites, and old reform school site built in the 1890s, a ballpark and a swim club. came back with a whopping .11 in clad! this slump ive been in is starting to become brutal! i almost forget what a silver coin looks like! i know what the problem is, i just dont know how to solve it. im out of decent sites to hunt around here. i have 4 or 5 permission requests in the mail but i have yet to hear any replies on them, and in the meantime,finding an accesable spot that holds coins has been impossible lately. the slump has to break sooner or later. till then ill just have to read about what you guys are finding!

Upvote 0
Z

ZumbroKid

When the slump breaks it will be a good one. I had the same thing in 2003 near the end of the season, had gone out and found 13 cents nothing old, then dug the gold coin. What is the county and state you live in?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry to hear that Hollow.

Don't you have any Public Swimming pools in your area ?

This is the time of the year they are getting ready for the may 30th.
beginning of the swimming season. at least here it is.

IF you have any, watch for the crews to start prepairing, and
walk in.
Tell them what you like to do, and add that you like to find
lost class rings and return them to their owners, and that you find
swimming pools are a good spot. People lay their jewelry & soda Change on their Blankets, when it's time to leave, Anxious people Forget and Grab their blanket, causing everything to Fly through the air.

If you have never done a Public pool, Lie and Drop names of neighboring pools that have let you search, make it sound like you provide a FREE service doing this.

Local swimming pools are even better then beaches, as everything is concentrated in a smaller area.

Just take a Frisbee, Cut Trianqular flaps, and Scoop the ground into the Frisbee to get at the object. IF you cut the edge off one side of the Frisbee, you will be able to pour the dirt back in, Tramp on the Grass & the Lawn will look no worse for the wear.

GOOD LUCK !
Jeff

OP
OP
hollowpointred

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
yeah pete, ill tell ya. if i could only get a couple of yesses on some of these spots i scoped out id be back in business! hopefully something will turn up soon. it cant last forever ::). ...........oh yeah im in Delaware, New Castle county.

thanks for the ideas jeff. im sure i have a ton of neigborhood pools in the area. ill check into it! ;)

Z

ZumbroKid

Here are some sites: Ghost town Hockessin on RR near state line 1 mile due E of Southwood. GT Yorklyn on RR near state line 3 miles SE Kennett Square Penn. GT Ashland on RR 3 1/2 miles WNW Greenville. GT Winterthur on RR 3 miles SW Brandywine. GT Mountainchanin on RR 1 mile NE Greenville. GT Rockland on RR 1 1/2 miles SW Talleyville.GT Carpenter on RR and state line 1 mile NE Ardentown. Do you want more sites i have them? I have to go to work and get some overtime now. Later Hollow.

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, Sorry to hear that, Need to grab a plane ticket and fly over here, I am about to do some serious water hunting...
Anyway, Things always get better! Lost my knife yesterday somewhere in the jungle :( Thought I could find it today by backtracking,but no!!! Find all these old coins that have been lost for years and can't find that big old knife that I lost yesterday!...

S

southbound

Sorry about the slump. Research the surrounding towns near you.
You may have to drive some but it is maybe worth it.
Vern

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hollowpointred said:
went out this morning to three differnt sites, and old reform school site built in the 1890s, a ballpark and a swim club. came back with a whopping .11 in clad! this slump ive been in is starting to become brutal! i almost forget what a silver coin looks like! i know what the problem is, i just dont know how to solve it. im out of decent sites to hunt around here. i have 4 or 5 permission requests in the mail but i have yet to hear any replies on them, and in the meantime,finding an accesable spot that holds coins has been impossible lately. the slump has to break sooner or later. till then ill just have to read about what you guys are finding!

You can try what I did today... go out to yard sales in the country and ask the owners for permission to hunt their yards. I tried it today for the first time ever and they actually said yes. I was expecting a no right away, haha.

I also got the phone #'s for an 1868 church as well..... hopefully I can get in touch with them.

Just keep digging, the slump has to end sometime!

OP
OP
hollowpointred

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
ThePete said:
Here are some sites: Ghost town Hockessin on RR near state line 1 mile due E of Southwood. GT Yorklyn on RR near state line 3 miles SE Kennett Square Penn. GT Ashland on RR 3 1/2 miles WNW Greenville. GT Winterthur on RR 3 miles SW Brandywine. GT Mountainchanin on RR 1 mile NE Greenville. GT Rockland on RR 1 1/2 miles SW Talleyville.GT Carpenter on RR and state line 1 mile NE Ardentown. Do you want more sites i have them? I have to go to work and get some overtime now. Later Hollow.

thanks for the tips pete! some of these i knew about, but some i did not! looks like you have a great source of info available to you because some of these ruins or ghost towns are not even known by most locals! if you have more i would love to see them! thanks again ;D....... also thanks to everyone else as well!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't give UP :) You never know. I took my brother in law out for the first time and he found a medal from 1914 . You just never know. ;)

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hollow, I think you are more likely to get permission if you asked in person. Good luck. Tsgman

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with TSGman, ask in person and take a few finds to show what you are looking for. I have only had two people say no when asking in person. Then there are the public areas. HH, Mike

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
I know what you are going through. I was in one heck of a silver slump earlier this year. Then I found a Barber dime and my first seated dime. So there is some light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck..

OP
OP
hollowpointred

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
ThePete said:
Go to the ghost towns, not many to say no there.

ive actually been to 2 of them already! the others i am looking into as i write this. ghost towns around here are actually quite different than you may be thinking. usually they are just a couple of foundations next to a housing development or a few old telephone poles next to the train tracks. most of the area around here is heavily developed, and some of these sites have at least been partially destroyed and graded. the ones in hockessen and in ashland however,are interesting because it is much more rural there. there is a good chance that most of the site is still intact. thanks again for the leads pete.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey hollowpoint I live in an area where people didn't believe in coins LOL! Well, almost.

I mean this is hard going around here. But what I found out is there are still lots of relics out there. Granted, there's nothing like a nice fat LARGE CENT or COPPER. But, if they ain't there, they ain't there.

Relics can be cool too, it's all a matter of perspective. I just dig iron and find lots of old toys and other cool stuff.

HH

Badger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread