My Holy Grail, Double Eagle, What a Pit!!! **NEW PICS**

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Went back to the same yard Don and I have been excavating/privy digging for the last few trips out and did some major Earth moving. Started out near the clothes line where we felt a fairly deep privy with the 6 foot probe. Turned up a couple nice ceramics and a couple of newer(1910-20) bottles. This pit was right next to the one where we got the Sarsaparilla bottles from the 1880's-90's. :icon_scratch:

After that one was said and done we felt some good prospects closer to the garage and underneath some fir bushes. We dug like crazed groundhogs on steroids since we were running out of light. Although I carry my battery powered light, it was just too dark. Grabbed up a keeper medicine/apothecary bottle from Boston and a cool little casket flask. But it was time to leave for the night. >:(

Since this was a secluded spot with no danger of anyone getting into the hole, we left it for the next day to continue. It was about 3 feet deep at this point. So onto the next day and more crazed groundhogging(if that's a word). We were really digging two side by side pits that ended up being about 5 to 6 feet deep and then kinda connecting them in the middle. I thought we were done but decided to probe the walls of the pit as I usually do and felt some more possible glass going underneath the garage. So we tunneled a bit. Not too dangerous because the dirt is packed and rock hard till you get to the good stuff. So we tunneled and found another couple of small pint sized flasks. Some more non embossed medicines and broken glass everywhere. There were rocks, bricks and you name it. The Bottle Bombs were killing us. :(

I was nearing the back side of the pit and was completely under the garage with my shorter shovel and just scooping out some broken glass and overburden. Then collapsing the ash and dirt layer a little at a time. Then I saw it...............

:o :o :o........The sight of The Eagle!!!! Laying right on top of my shovel. Don was right next to me looking into the tunnel we had dug. I pulled it out and grabbed it up quicker than Grasshopper to the pebble! I yelled out "Please be whole, Please be whole." Opened up my hands and we were both in amazement to see the Double Eagle Flask to be in near perfect condition. :headbang: We could not tell what the color was because it was so dark outside, but looking at it with my light I could tell it was green. After cleaning it looks to be either Olive or Emerald. We took some photographs as it would have been in the pit on the shovel had I not snapped it up so fast. ;D So after that what else would be in store. I can't top it. Although Don snagged a J Hostetter Stomach Bitters too and an Iron Tonic and some straight sided cokes we had to end there and plan to continue the Trench Warfare along the garage on a future dig.

We talk about it all the time, which bottles we want to find in our lifetime and we always say The Double Eagle Flask. Well we succeeded today and then some. What a day and night it turned out to be. I will be on cloud 9 for some time to come....Thanks for looking..............Jgas

Attachments

• sc 1.JPG
    sc 1.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 5,641
  • sc 2.JPG
    sc 2.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 5,602
  • sc 3.JPG
    sc 3.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 5,585
  • sc 4.JPG
    sc 4.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 5,591
  • sc 5.JPG
    sc 5.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 5,580
  • sc 6.JPG
    sc 6.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 5,555
  • sc 7.JPG
    sc 7.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 5,549
  • sc 8.JPG
    sc 8.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 5,539
  • sc 9.JPG
    sc 9.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 5,524
  • sc 10.JPG
    sc 10.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 5,548
  • sc 11.JPG
    sc 11.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 5,533
  • sc 12.JPG
    sc 12.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 5,554
Upvote 1

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
Those are amazing bottles, and you know what's sad? I'm sitting here looking
at these, and thinking of a post I replied to about coins not long ago. It seems
to apply to bottles, and possible more. The gist of it was that, it's amazing how
artwork and craftsman ship have gone down the toilet over the years (no pun intended since this was a privie find). You get very little artwork, or something
cookie cutter looking any more. It's nice being able to look at stuff that was
made by people who appreciated style and quality over cost and quantity.
Thanks for sharing more beauty

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome flask! Flasks are the best.... :headbang:

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that's the holy grail all right! nice banner find, love to see glass up top!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope to be doing lots of bottle hunting this year!! Awesome digs. :notworthy:

Syrena Hunter

Nov 30, 2004
Palm Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Minelab Excalibur-800
Cobra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great banner find...congrars....very nice collection from one spot. :icon_thumleft:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great digging, congrat's on the the bottles and the banner. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the replies everyone. It sure was a nice run for one yard. Now it's off to the next yard. Not sure how we will top that Double Eagle. A Bryants Bitters would be nice though :tongue3: But what the heck, I thought the flask was a dream and it came true! :thumbsup: jgas

Dabeel

Dec 21, 2008
Baltimore origin/now Bay Area CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett and White's
Hey Jgas,
I've been absent from this site for a long time and just catching up on the latest finds and being a digger myself, just wanted to congratulate you on a Great Find.......love the post clean color pics of the flask you put up(great pics that show off the beauty of it) I also love the little white pitcher. I love the non-glass items sometimes more than the bottles. Anyway hope to see some more treasures from the next privy dig.

Thanks,
Doug in CA

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the reply Doug...It was sure the find of a lifetime for me and for Don as well. We may just get out again before the snow flies again. :icon_sunny: jgas

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jgas said:
We may just get out again before the snow flies again. :icon_sunny:

Looks like you got a reprieve on the snowy forecast for this week jgas.

They're calling for 60's for most of the week, so that's a nice change from last weeks 30 degree temps.

You need to get one more glass banner find before the years end as the one up top is slowly making it's way to the edge. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks DJH, Yep I think we will try but it will be tough to top that one! :icon_sunny: jgas

Aquila

Jun 9, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 150, Golden mask 3
Re: My Holy Grail, Double Eagle, What a Pit!!!

Epic hunt and very nice bottles etc. Congrats! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread