Two Gilded Harness Mounts - Even Seen or Found Similar Before?

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,

This summer up in MA I unearthed two of these about 5 feet from each other. Today on an older property that's being demolished, my first signal was the round rosette about 6" deep. Ornate design, appears to be pewter as it's crumbling and also appears to have been gilted.

On other side of house where more demolition has been, I found what I thought was a spur, but it seems to be another rosette in the shape of a 16 pointed star! Tiny inlays that resembled pearls, but are probably something else. This one was gilted too. Appears younger as there are two casting tabs. There seem to be three words cast into it -- last is a number 2802.

All of them so far have been approx. 2" x 2".

Any info on these would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to get an approximate timeframe. Are they pewter? How should I clean them? I don't want to destroy them. Thanks!

Attachments

• Bridle Rosette (obverse)001.jpg
    Bridle Rosette (obverse)001.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 528
  • Bridle Rosette (reverse)001.jpg
    Bridle Rosette (reverse)001.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 533
  • Bridle Rosette Star (obverse)001.jpg
    Bridle Rosette Star (obverse)001.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 552
  • Bridle Rosette Star (reverse)001.jpg
    Bridle Rosette Star (reverse)001.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 520
Upvote 0

NJLargeCent

Feb 8, 2012
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice rosettes you dug Eric! :icon_thumleft:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dug these as well, and they seem to be silver plated pewter or pot metal. I cleaned mine with aluminum jelly and it came out really well.

Regards,

Buckles

SusanInColumbia

Greenie
Sep 6, 2012
Columbia,SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The larger rosettes (> 2" in diameter) were likely harness rosettes rather than bridle rosettes. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have dug these as well, and they seem to be silver plated pewter or pot metal. I cleaned mine with aluminum jelly and it came out really well.

Regards,

Buckles

Hi Buckles....thanks for the tip on the aluminum jelly....a few of these seem to be gilded. Do you think the Al Jelly will be gentle enough to retain the gilding?

Thanks, Erik

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The larger rosettes (> 2" in diameter) were likely harness rosettes rather than bridle rosettes. Hope this helps.

Hi Susan! Welcome to the forum....I'm very glad that we have a rosette expert here! Thank you for the book reference--I'm very interested in picking up a copy and learning as much as I can. I'm also glad that you can help with the proper terminology as I think it's important for us to get this right. I'd love to hear of any more information that you might be able to uncover regarding these rosettes. They really are miniature works of art and it's always a real treat when I unearth one.

Best, Erik

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread