Civil War Outing- 3c, 5c, cap-box finial, shoulder scale, bullets, buttons

U

umrgolf

:hello: Josh and I decided to change it up today and head to a Civil War campsite that Josh used to hunt a few years back. On the way out he told me that he hit it pretty good "back in the day", but that there was still plenty left to get :wink: After digging a few bullets, and about an hour into the hunt, the girlfriend calls me up to tell me how her day was (exciting stuff :laughing7: love ya hun) As soon as we hang up the phone, I spot a downed tree and decided to take a couple swings under the roots... BAM! "62", "62", "62" hmmmm :headbang: thinking I had another nice bullet, but this thing is reading only two inches down. :icon_scratch: .. wait a sec :sign13: under this downed tree, it should be something old right?
IMG_0102.JPG
the silver disc that we all love to see :hello2: 1861 staring right at me :icon_thumleft:
IMG_0103.JPG

Another hour or so later, I got the finial and shoulder scale, both firsts for me ;D On our way home, we stopped off at another new field for the last 2 hours of the day and I got the 3-center and Josh was able to snag a Matron Head LC. On to the pics!

IMG_0105.JPG

IMG_0106.JPG

1861 Seated Liberty Halfdime
IMG_0109.JPG

IMG_0111.JPG

1858 Three Cents *couldn't get the black gunk to come off.. have to soak it I guess ::)
IMG_0112.JPG

IMG_0113.JPG

IMG_0115.JPG

Cap-box Finial w/ leather still attached
IMG_0119.JPG

3 flat buttons, one eagle cuff, 4 .58 cal minnies, .69 cal, 3 colts, shoulder scale, finial, 3 rivets, grommet, 3c, 5c
IMG_0121.JPG

I'll end this by saying thanks Josh :notworthy: You have put me on fantastic sites all year. I'm very appreciative, you're one heck of a nice guy. :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

Indiana Digger

Oct 13, 2010
E.C. Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II SL90
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, UMR!

Gotta love the silver...and some nice relics, too! Congrats! :icon_thumright:

~Indiana Digger!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1861 half dime is a beauty and like where it was hiding .Very cool story ! 3 cent silver is another nice coin . The tarnish is tough , I evened tried un diluted lemon juice with fair results . Those football shaped plates is that something that you can ID ??? I fine them with rivets up here. Ahh man , I typed out the word , football ..I just remembered something ::) , sorry about your boy's , Jeff Still a nice hunt to take your mind off other stuff :thumbsup: dawg

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you had fun, got to experience some new scenery and was able to snag some keepers! Both those silvers are in great shape; I tried to get one but today wasn't my day....hopefully next outing :icon_thumleft: :wink:

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Dman said:
Great finds.
Congrats on the old silver.
Dman

Thanks Dman :icon_thumleft:

Indiana Digger said:
Nice finds, UMR!

Gotta love the silver...and some nice relics, too! Congrats! :icon_thumright:

~Indiana Digger!

Thank you ID :icon_thumleft:

CMDiamonddawg said:
1861 half dime is a beauty and like where it was hiding .Very cool story ! 3 cent silver is another nice coin . The tarnish is tough , I evened tried un diluted lemon juice with fair results . Those football shaped plates is that something that you can ID ??? I fine them with rivets up here. Ahh man , I typed out the word , football ..I just remembered something ::) , sorry about your boy's , Jeff Still a nice hunt to take your mind off other stuff :thumbsup: dawg

thank you Dawg :icon_thumleft: no worries about the Tigers, was hoping they might have an outside shot at the title game ::) back to the drawingboard... I haven't the slightest clue what the football is :dontknow:

Skelly607 said:
Very nice silver!

Thanks Skelly :icon_thumleft:

{Sentinel} said:
Glad you had fun, got to experience some new scenery and was able to snag some keepers! Both those silvers are in great shape; I tried to get one but today wasn't my day....hopefully next outing :icon_thumleft: :wink:

Thanks Josh :icon_thumleft: Looking forward to the rest of the week :icon_thumleft: thanks again for all the awesome sites :headbang:

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet finds bud, you guys keep raking em in. :headbang:

Hill

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good job, Jeff, on another half dime. You are on a roll lately. Josh is a great guy. You two have been good friends of mine on here and I appreciate that. Thank you for saving those relics. :notworthy:

Kirk :hello:

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See, we don't find three-centers and a good, old 1860 Seated together ever out here in Denver.
That phrase hasn't even been uttered out loud, that I know of, in Denver, for years.
We, in the West both salute and curse you.
Call before you come out here.
Let us know.
Kudos.
Carl

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Srtill getting the good stuff Jeff. Love those relics & old silver. Dman dug a 1861 last Spring with his F75 LTD. Those Fishers are silver magnets (Attn. Dman). WTG and HH, Quindy.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Super nice finds. Very nice recoveries. Those coins are great.

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Thanks HB, Kirk (no prob), Thanks 4-H all is well same to you and the family, Carl I'd come out for a couple hunts with you and pleb :D , thanks Erik, Thanks Quindy these things love the lead too :laughing7: , thanks Deb hope the black comes off, thanks treasurehound, sscindercoop, and TTH :icon_thumleft:

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf2010 said:
Thanks HB, Kirk (no prob), Thanks 4-H all is well same to you and the family, Carl I'd come out for a couple hunts with you and pleb :D , thanks Erik, Thanks Quindy these things love the lead too :laughing7: , thanks Deb hope the black comes off, thanks treasurehound, sscindercoop, and TTH :icon_thumleft:

You would be welcome.
Anytime.
Might not get a ride home however, depending on how your luck was.
Pleb can get cranky.
Nights can get pretty chilly out here.
With your skill, you'd probably dig the only known CSA plate ever dug here.
Then I'd get cranky.
I now have to find something this week.
You have spurned me on.
Carl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread