FINALLY made it to the old abandoned race track in the woods.....happy I went :)

Bushido Dude

Dec 20, 2005
Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after 2 weeks of dying to take someone to explore a new site with me I ended up going solo today to the abandoned trotting course (old horse race track) that I found using an old map about a month ago. It was very difficult to see where the track had once been using Google Earth and even more difficult once I was on the ground and could see with my own eyes. I honestly am still unsure where the track was....but i did some detecting around the commons house/hotel that was on site for the Racers.......found what I believe is the old blacksmith shop and played around there for awhile (bad idea...too much iron!!), spent a little time weaving through the empty woods between the commons house and where the track was, and spent some time along the creek. Very slim pickins.....a lot of old iron...but I think this site has the most potential out of all of the sites I have found this year. Attaching a picture of a few horseshoes that were found, a very well preserved horse jaw (sorry PETA members), some random bits, and my two keepers for the day......an 1889 seated dime and what I think is park of a cuff link? As a side note this is the best seated I've dug in a very long time and I'm really disappointed about the scratches on the back.....I don't think that I nipped it with my shovel...i think one of the rocks might have skiffed it since it was such a rocky area...either way....bittersweet...def a best dug seated in some time for me and its scratched :( I Have pictures of everything being dug and dirty.....but generally only post the cleaned and edited finds....no need showing off my scrap pile of rust knots ;) enjoy the pics and happy hunting!!!

Attachments

• trotting course totals.jpg
    trotting course totals.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,378
  • trotting course littles.jpg
    trotting course littles.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,373
  • trotting course whatsit.jpg
    trotting course whatsit.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 1,487
  • trotting course cufflinkithink1.jpg
    trotting course cufflinkithink1.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,358
  • trotting course cufflinkithink2.jpg
    trotting course cufflinkithink2.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 1,383
  • trotting course seated1.jpg
    trotting course seated1.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,335
  • trotting course seated2.jpg
    trotting course seated2.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,431
Upvote 0

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Dude, that is a killer site we all dream about. I only live about two hours to the north. You showed a map, and I too have pinpointed the site, and furthermore have determined that the land that it is on is in fact my great grandfather's land (well it used to be) that he sold to my next-door neighbor's son's girlfriend's father, whom just happens to be my mother's chiropractor with whom I am a great old friend. I hope to see you there this weekend.

Just kidding and we all hope to see pics of some more killer finds.

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet seated!!!! looks good to me :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like once you can identify where the grandstands
were located the finds will come fast and furious! :headbang:
Great research on your part Bushido Dude! :icon_thumright:

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
I grew up in Binghamton, visit a few times a year and am always looking to detect. If you ever need a buddy, I'll share if you do. ;).

mrtim

Jan 7, 2008
Nancy, KY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Spectra V3i HP, Whites MX Sport, Fisher F2, Bounty Hunter Quicksilver, Nokta/Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
is the jawbone from one of the horses that lost? :tongue3:

Nice finds

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Skrimpy said:
I grew up in Binghamton, visit a few times a year and am always looking to detect. If you ever need a buddy, I'll share if you do. ;).

Skrimpy, Dude's spot is not unlike our great Glen Park, started about 1888 then abandoned ten years later. A railroad destination, known as The Coney Island of the North. Ferris Wheel, photograph booth, spelunking expeditions, weddings, high wire acts across a river, on and on. Everyone came here by rail from across the state. A great flood washed out the bridge and it all ended. Plus it was near the end of the great railroad age. After "discovering" this site I found a 1889 barber dime ten minutes after turning on the 'tector, this all deep back in the woods. My buddy found a 1875 nickel that day, we left with those and a couple Indian cents. Finding a good untouched site is tough. Later I found out the boys from the Rochester NY club came up to this site years earlier on a major expedition. Rumor has it they did not come back, too few finds. But I went back a few times with a couple buddies. I found out more about this site from an old timer that snuck up behind me out there and shouted "HEY!" Well that went thru my headphones and scared the bujesus out of me. A year later I went back and saw his car there, I carefully entered the woods and snuck up on him and yelled HEY! to him. We are since good friends. He found a 1853 O half dime that day. I found total about ten IH, one seated dime, a crisp Boy's Brigade button, a wire silver ring, and a nice 1859 Canada cent in there. Now it's all highly posted and a very restricted area, no access allowed. Oh well, we got our share. There are many places like this, but not very many. If I can find another, I'm keepin' it all to myself.

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Wow that site looks like it has great potential. That seated is a beauty. The scratches look like the've been there for quite some time.

Can't wait to see what else you dig up.

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a beautiful seated!! Someone dropped that one on the date of issue!! :icon_thumleft:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Seated is fairly young, don't usually see them that young around here. Congrats though, its a very nice one :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread