Great weekend with several firsts: Dime Trifecta, 1800’s Silver, Silver war nick

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went home to Mississippi this for the latter part of the week and weekend to visit my 87 year old Dad (Mom has been gone 6 years now and he lives alone) and 82 year old Aunt who is a widow and lives alone also (I check up on them a few times a year and take care of anything they cant do). It is a long 8 hour drive, but well worth it to see them and other family and friends. The 9 hour drive home in the rain (1 hour sitting on I-85 in north Georgia for an accident) was not a lot of fun, but it is good to be home safely.

I did find a little time to hunt on Friday afternoon and Saturday and Sunday mornings and couldnt have asked for nicer weather for hunting, cool at first and then warming up later.

I grew up in a college town and have previously obtained permission from campus security to hunt on campus and this visit obtained permission from the Superintendant of Grounds to hunt wherever I wanted (It paid off yesterday, because a supervisor from the utility department was on campus and was watching me hunt).

Friday I started off OK with 49 and 50 wheaties and some clad at an older gathering point on campus.

Saturday morning is when it got exciting when I started hunting in the oldest part of the campus. Finds for the day: 1892 O Barber Dime, 1941 D Mercury dime, 1949 Roosevelt dime, 10 wheaties of varying dates 30s to 50s, Aluminum MS tax token (very corroded), 11 quarters, 20 dimes, and 20 copper memorials.

I was hunting a spot I hunted some last Christmas and found that I didn't hunt it very thoroughly. First I started digging wheats and about twenty minutes in I pulled the 41 D Merc right up against a sidewalk. That meant my day was already made since I had silver. I realized I hadn't been thorough and started working the part of the area I didn't cover last Christmas very thoroughly. I didnt find much else in that small area and moved to an adjoining area delineated by sidewalks.

I kept finding wheats and about an hour later got a nice dime signal at 11 inches. It was too repeatable and so deep I just knew it was silver. I got really excited about a second silver and boy was I surprised when a grey disk popped out at about 11 inches and was a BARBER DIME. I gently cleaned it and got my hand lens out (too old to see dates without it) and realized it was an 1892 O, and my first 1800s silver. I did a real big happy dance and got some strange looks from some passersby. As you can see, it is somewhat corroded, but has very nice detail. I called my hunting buddy at home and also the Supt. of grounds to let them know what I had found. What a day already. I didnt realize it was going to get better.

I kept working the same area because I had to be home for lunch. At about 11:30 I got another nice silver dime signal at about 6 inches and got the third part of my trifecta, a 1949 Roosevelt. I really did a happy dance. I went home a happy man, and my dad was really excited about these finds too.

One other odd find was a 1962 D penny that has been cut down in diameter. Dad thinks someone was trying to fool a vending machine with it.

Sunday I was back at 7:45 to hunt to lunch. I decided to go over the area I had hunted last Christmas with my 6x8 SEF (I am hunting with pro coil because SEF failed and replacement arrived when I was in MS. Kellyco was wonderful to work with on a replacement). Total finds: 1925 Merc, 1941 D Merc, 1941 P Merc, 1954 D Roosie, 1945 P nickel, 6 Wheaties, 10 quarters, 20 dimes, and 25 or so copper memorials.

I worked the whole area very thoroughly and soon wheaties started appearing at about 6 inches down (along with a lot of surface clad and memorials). Shortly into the hunt I popped the already damaged 41 Merc at about 10 inches. Not long after I pulled another 41 Merc at about the same depth (All they seem to lose was 41 Mercs). Not long after that, I pull a 1954 Roosie at about 8 inches. Three silvers had me pretty happy, but it was just going to get better.

I finished the block I started in and worked over to another one beside which was not directly in a path between buildings, but along a sidewalk that has been there for 100+ years. I get a good dime signal that is buried on the depth meter, so I cut a large U shaped slot to lay the grass back and give good access without damaging the grass. When I am down about 10 I put the pro-pointer in the hole and it tells me the coin is close, but still deeper. I scoop some loose soil out and there is another silver dime! This one was a pretty worn 1925 Merc. Just as I determine the age of the coin, I get a call from home about lunch. I told Dad I would be home by noon, which was only 20 minutes away. I picked up the pace. About 20 feet from where I found the dime, I got a good penny (12-43) signal at about 9 inches. I was expecting a wheatie, but lo and behold, out pops a nickel(??). As soon as I looked at the back and saw the P above the dome, I knew I had a first for me, a silver war nickel. The date was 1945 and it is somewhat crusty. I finished my hunting for this visit on that note and went home for lunch with Dad and my Aunt.

That evening Dad, my aunt and I went to visit some of my favorite cousins in their 1830 antebellum home in the country. Hunting their house is another story (I have hunted there some, but no luck yet, just a couple of wheaties).

Sorry for being so long winded, but this was a great weekend for family and hunting!

Happy hunting!

Attachments

• img023.jpg
    img023.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 366
  • img024.jpg
    img024.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 371
  • img025.jpg
    img025.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 363
  • img026.jpg
    img026.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 356
  • img027.jpg
    img027.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 367
Upvote 0

Bunker

Apr 6, 2010
St. Pete, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / Etrac / T2se / Blisstool V5
Pistol Probe / Pro Pointer / VibraProbe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice mix there! Thanks for posting!
Bunker

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great bunch of finds and story :notworthy: Keep it up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread