Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hunting partner found this heel plate in an area where there may have been troop activity during the Civil War. We have found other artifacts in the area that could be from troops or from a farm house that used to be in the same area.

This heel plate is brass and measures 1 1/2" high and wide.

Seems very small for a man's boot. But we don't have any reference for size of these plates. Would a plate that small come from a child or woman's boot/shoe?

Anyone can date it ?

Attachments

• Heel-Plate-2.jpg
    Heel-Plate-2.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 1,031
Upvote 3

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a mid 1800s (Civil War Era) heel plate. Those boots must had small heels, ones I have found have been small too.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard to say whether it's truly a Civil War relic unless you dug it in a Civil War camp or battle site. Here are two I've dug. The one on the left is from a mid 1800's homesite in Pennsylvania, and the one on the right is from a late 1850's military camp in Texas.

Attachments

• Heel plate.jpg
    Heel plate.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 958
  • Heel plate.jpg
    Heel plate.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 812

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats and I agree with Steve above, however you'd be perfectly within reason to label it as a Civil War-Era relic. :icon_thumleft: :wink: Looks like you've been digging in that Northern Virginia Iron Red dirt....or either in Georgia Red Clay....those are the only two states that really have widespread Dark Red dirt like that.... :wink: :wink:

OP
OP
Curious The George

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
{Sentinel} said:
Congrats and I agree with Steve above, however you'd be perfectly within reason to label it as a Civil War-Era relic. :icon_thumleft: :wink: Looks like you've been digging in that Northern Virginia Iron Red dirt....or either in Georgia Red Clay....those are the only two states that really have widespread Dark Red dirt like that.... :wink: :wink:

Sentinal,
Thank you for the comments. Any input is welcome.

I take it you have never been to North Carolina. ;D
CTG

teleman 2525

Bronze Member
May 9, 2010
newport vermont
Detector(s) used
whites xlt minelab explorer se pro
heres a little neat info on your heart shaped boot heel they were known to be used by local ladies of the nite so as new gentlemen in town can fellow thier foot prints back to local house of ill repute dirt roads dirt side walks in good old days this info came from either american digger mag or lost treasure found the article vol 6 issue4 american digger mag larry hockman of catlett va submitted the info if an interesting lady crossed the street a man could simple look in the dirt for her calling card

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
teleman 2525 said:
heres a little neat info on your heart shaped boot heel they were known to be used by local ladies of the nite so as new gentlemen in town can fellow thier foot prints back to local house of ill repute dirt roads dirt side walks in good old days this info came from either american digger mag or lost treasure found
That is interesting how this kind of knowledge is gained.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
{Sentinel} said:
I think you forgot to mention NC too. Pretty red here too

Great finds!

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome find! I just dug this one on saturday, and my buddy also found a civil war sword hanger on the same property

Attachments

• DSC00674.JPG
    DSC00674.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 918
OP
OP
Curious The George

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goes4ever said:
awesome find! I just dug this one on saturday, and my buddy also found a civil war sword hanger on the same property

Can you give me the measurements of it? Up - down and across?

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious The George said:
Goes4ever said:
Can you give me the measurements of it? Up - down and across?
1 7/8 up and down.......1 1/2 across
it is odd how yours has almost same wear pattern as mine

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious The George said:
{Sentinel} said:

Sentinal,
Thank you for the comments. Any input is welcome.

I take it you have never been to North Carolina. ;D

Ah yes, parts of NC do have the red clay too...especialy in the central and mountain regions....Actually I'm quite acquainted with NC. I live near the NC/VA border...East Carolina...but have folks that live in Asheville including my father. The dirt over here in East Carolina is as black as tar but those good ole Appalachians leave the red stuff scattered about, there's even some patches in Alabama and SC though to a lesser degree.
CTG

OP
OP
Curious The George

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know if these are usually associated with Union or Confederate troops?

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think those heel plates are so cool! Are all of the suits represented (Hearts, Spades, Clubs and Diamonds)?

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I've read posts where these are attributed to cavalry units, and also as civilian accessories but no official documentation on either.

Got one in a parkway some years back. Just around the corner from this collar pin.

Attachments

• pinheel.gif
    pinheel.gif
    63.7 KB · Views: 501
  • pinheel.gif
    pinheel.gif
    63.7 KB · Views: 403

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
teleman 2525 said:
heres a little neat info on your heart shaped boot heel they were known to be used by local ladies of the nite so as new gentlemen in town can fellow thier foot prints back to local house of ill repute dirt roads dirt side walks in good old days this info came from either american digger mag or lost treasure found the article vol 6 issue4 american digger mag larry hockman of catlett va submitted the info if an interesting lady crossed the street a man could simple look in the dirt for her calling card

Great info thanks.
Now I'm starting to wonder about the old lady who's yard I found mine in. ;D
Mine was also found here in NC where CW troops went through.

Great find! :icon_thumleft:
-MM-

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"some patches in Alabama and SC though to a lesser degree."

There's alot more of that red scourge of a dirt in N. Alabama than you've let on. Big areas of it N. of the Tennessee river.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those heelplates, having a "cutout" emblem in the center, have been proven to be from ladies' buttonhook "tall shoes." They are small because the heel of those Ladies shoes is small. The photo below shows a Ladies shoe with the "heart" heelplate, excavated from an 1880s dump in Denver CO by a digger named Marty Homola at the old American Relic Hunters internet forum.

The smallness of the heelplate should be enough proof by itself that it's not from a Military shoe/boot. The narrow little heel would sink deep into the mud very easily with each step. That's why narrow-heel footwear has never been issued to soldiers, who do not have the option of avoiding walking on muddy ground.

Attachments

• heelplate_ladies-shoe-with-heart-cutout-heelplate_dug-in-1880s-dump_sideview_ARH_photobyMarty_sh.jpg
    heelplate_ladies-shoe-with-heart-cutout-heelplate_dug-in-1880s-dump_sideview_ARH_photobyMarty_sh.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 249
  • heelplate_ladies-shoe-with-heart-cutout_ladies-buttonhook-shoe-boot_1880s_ARHphotobyMarty_shoe2.jpg
    heelplate_ladies-shoe-with-heart-cutout_ladies-buttonhook-shoe-boot_1880s_ARHphotobyMarty_shoe2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread